Verified:

downsay Game profile

Apr 20th 2010, 19:24:22

I am looking to purchase a convertible tablet pc. Nothing like the iPad, JooJoo, or HP Slate "tablets" that now exist.

The main use will be for med school, so mostly a lot of note taking, studying, powerpoint. Obviously I would also use it for basic media functionality as well, but I won't install any video games otherwise my life would be consumed.

I want something that will have ~10 hours of battery life and will last me for at least my first 2 years. I'd definitely like to have as fast of a processor as possible. HD size isn't too important since most everything will be done through the cloud or via external HD.

Could you guys please offer suggestions on a good tablet pc that fall within these guidelines?

Thank you in advance!!

-Downsay

Marshal Game profile

Apr 20th 2010, 19:28:42

Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 20th 2010, 22:37:08

i have an HP tablet, unfortunately it was much less useful than i thought it would be... OneNote which i used on it was not very good at handwriting -> text recognition, and could basically do no math at alll

if they ever make one that can do GOOD handwriting -> text + math then maybe i could recommend them, otherwise i'd say stick with a normal laptop and learn latex =/
Finally did the signature thing.

downsay Game profile

Apr 21st 2010, 14:54:18

I don't really need it to convert my handwriting to text so much, although it could be useful I guess in certain instances.

I really need it more so I can decrease the amount of papers I will need to carry (all powerpoint presentations could be on my tablet and I could write directly on them while recording the lectures)

NukEvil Game profile

Apr 21st 2010, 15:03:15

http://www.topnews.in/files/Tablet_PC-nokia.jpg

That is a picture of a tablet PC. You can print that picture out, and write notes on it, and study those notes for your next test. You can even scan the pic into one of your powerpoint presentations. You can put it in a picture frame for your "basic media functionality", and you can't really play games on a printout of a picture (except maybe tic-tac-toe, etc). Battery life will be pretty much infinite, and harddrive space won't be much of an issue. The processor speed is only limited to how fast your brain can compute stuff. It's also extremely cheap.

Otherwise, you're looking at a pretty high price tag. :/
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Klown Game profile

Apr 21st 2010, 15:12:15

Whats the advantage of a tablet over a laptop?

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 21st 2010, 15:59:18

if you don't want to handwrite on it, just get an EEE PC

downsay Game profile

Apr 22nd 2010, 2:09:23

I didn't say I didn't want to write on it. I said I didn't know that I would use it to convert straight to typed text. I definitely will be writing on it.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 22nd 2010, 5:17:45

hmmm

my handwriting is unreadable in fast-skimming, so good handwriting conversion was a 100% must for me...

llaar Game profile

Apr 23rd 2016, 5:03:02