Verified:

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 1st 2024, 18:25:31

The communist nerf to bonus effectiveness was meant to be paired with the reduction of CI bots. The reduction of CI bots did not happen as expected so it seems that CI is in a bad place from a balance perspective. As a result of this, I'm consider changing the penalty during the round. This is not an action that I take lightly and I don't think there's a lot of precedent for it.

Advantages of changing it now:
* Some players (currently 2) may have picked the communist government partially due to the change in bot strategy. It isn't fair to them if there are more CI bots than they expected.
* This could could encourage more players to play CI. I'm not sure if absolute fairness is worth the price of having effectively all players not play CI for a full round due to perceived weakness of strategy.

Disadvantages of changing it:
* We're changing the nerf during the round and some players have already played turns. However, due to the number of turns played and the actual impact of the bonus nerf, I don't think this makes any real practical difference.
* Some players may have already switched to a non-Communist government because of the 30% nerf but would have picked it if they had known it would be 15%. It isn't fair to them to change it now.

Another option is to mass delete the current bots. The new ones could be created with the right strategy split and they wouldn't lose turns.

I am interested in feedback from the community on this issue. This isn't a vote but I will factor in your comments into the final decision.

Edited By: Slagpit on Aug 1st 2024, 18:47:18
See Original Post

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 1st 2024, 18:30:13

Being that part of the change didn't happen I would change it now and then address it all again for the next set.
I financially support this game; what do you do?

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 1st 2024, 18:32:41

FWIW im not affected by this but I would support CI's getting a pass on this and the change going in their favour.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 1st 2024, 18:35:42

Originally posted by Requiem:
Being that part of the change didn't happen I would change it now and then address it all again for the next set.

Change the bot strat split?

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 1st 2024, 18:50:11

Yeah because that didn't happen I would go ahead and make it -15% so more people play CI this set.

If not human players play CI jet prices might suck for everyone assuming bots don't just produce 100% jets to sell.
I financially support this game; what do you do?

llaar Game profile

Aug 1st 2024, 19:34:23

deleting some of the commie bots to get to the initial goal spread would keep the original intent of the change intact I believe?

then that wouldn't have an effect on anyone that did or did not play turns, and pick or not pick commie

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Aug 1st 2024, 20:01:55

Originally posted by llaar:
deleting some of the commie bots to get to the initial goal spread would keep the original intent of the change intact I believe?

then that wouldn't have an effect on anyone that did or did not play turns, and pick or not pick commie

If this is the case I would go with what llaar said.
Originally posted by Coalie:
Slag,

Good job man. We’re all out here playing chess. While you and Leto are playing checkers.

Well played.

VicRattlehead Game profile

Aug 1st 2024, 23:10:07

I am someone that considered going commie, but thought it would be too difficult with the 30% nerf. I've already decided on a different course of action, but would still be in favor of changing it now for the people that did go commie.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Aug 1st 2024, 23:15:58

I believe the bot strat split should be 20% for each. Both because it seems hard to implement and because I don't think it's the split that causes the problem.

As for this round I don't see any great options. A lot of players have yet to pick a strategy so make sure you finalise it fast and make it clear so we can react to it.

AndrewMose Game profile

Aug 2nd 2024, 0:36:02

I played an awful CI last set, so my experience shouldn't matter for anything. I don't think that Indy was overpowered and I don't agree with the nerfing of Indy to begin with. I would change the bonus to -15%.

With that said the number of Indy bots has a positive as well as the obvious market negative. There were almost always bots that had close to 0 DR to attack. And the bot break for Indy's was fairly low because of their Jet vs Turret production. Don't delete bots, it's too soon to think we have the market equilibrium figured out. It's also unclear to me the value of extra targets vs market price reduction.

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 2nd 2024, 1:56:41

Originally posted by AndrewMose:
I don't think that Indy was overpowered and I don't agree with the nerfing of Indy to begin with. I would change the bonus to -15%.

Agreed