Verified:

Rockman Game profile

May 5th 2011, 3:05:10

As long as two countries exchanging grabs benefits the smaller country more than it benefits the larger country, there is no incentive for the better countries to engage in grabbing with other alliances.

When two countries exchange grabs, the smaller country benefits more. If your goal is to grow big, then the only reason to trade grabs between alliances is if you are doing a bad job of achieving your goal.

If we started giving 30k acre countries a reason to hit 20k acre countries that can retal them, then we would see more interaction between alliances. Or if we just made it so that 20k acre countries would gain more from hitting 20k acre countries than hitting 30k acre countries, there would be less of a penalty for people growing at a faster pace.

Or if players agreed to not grab people significantly larger or smaller than them, players would be able to grow without worrying about being grabbed by someone lazier and smaller than them.

Kill4Free Game profile

May 5th 2011, 3:20:59

Larger countries do get a benefit in ghost acres, but a reduction in total acres, so yes, I think that if you are larger then target, you can at least hit for full acres. Sure large countries might attack small more often, but even if they were retalled, it wouldnt be crippling.
So many ways to die, only one way to live...
NBK

Havoc Game profile

May 5th 2011, 4:27:35

This discussion has happened every single reset of FFA...
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

Bsnake Game profile

May 5th 2011, 4:57:15

at least 3 times.....
<bsnake> 68,270,386 turrets whats that in NW??
<Crippler> 115m NW
<Bsnake> 38 mill NW nub... thanks for your netting advice.. Stick to killing nub

Warster Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

May 5th 2011, 5:35:16

*walks in and then runs out screaming " not this again" *
FFA- TKO Leader
Alliance- Monsters

MSN
ICQ 28629332

Rockman Game profile

May 5th 2011, 5:53:57

Originally posted by braden:
I plan to go one man tag next reset with strong defense and strong retallers. I will not be landtrading, I don't think, but depending on the amount of hits coming in from larger tags, I might be forced to start DR'ing.

But we'll see how it goes.

With strong defense and strong retallers, why would people be hitting you at all? Or are you already predicting your inability to actually keeping the strong defense and strong retallers that you plan on attempting to run?

Bsnake Game profile

May 5th 2011, 5:54:45

its like watching an old married couple fight....

same arguement,same result... well no result...
<Crippler> 115m NW
<Bsnake> 38 mill NW nub... thanks for your netting advice.. Stick to killing nub

DeDLySMuRF Game profile

May 5th 2011, 6:36:54

Please feel free to read my suggestion and comment on it.

http://forums.earthempires.com/...=suggested-change-for-ffa

It is not an Anti-Self Farming or Anti-DR suggestion, and I encourage everyone to read it. I really think this could solve alot of issues people have on this server.
FFA Server - Paragon of Duality
Alliance Server - Moral Decay

Popcom Game profile

May 5th 2011, 13:14:39

its funny, some of the bigger clans every set whine about getting hit, on here or in PM, or IRC, whichever.
but the small well runs 1 mans get left alone.
perhaps take a clue from them...
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

~If at first you don't succeed, you are clearly not Popcom~

Warster Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

May 5th 2011, 13:21:32

i dont mind, NBK has been feeding my countries land all reset hehe
FFA- TKO Leader
Alliance- Monsters

MSN
ICQ 28629332

Primeval Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 5th 2011, 13:23:10

Originally posted by Rockman:
As long as two countries exchanging grabs benefits the smaller country more than it benefits the larger country, there is no incentive for the better countries to engage in grabbing with other alliances.

When two countries exchange grabs, the smaller country benefits more. If your goal is to grow big, then the only reason to trade grabs between alliances is if you are doing a bad job of achieving your goal.

If we started giving 30k acre countries a reason to hit 20k acre countries that can retal them, then we would see more interaction between alliances. Or if we just made it so that 20k acre countries would gain more from hitting 20k acre countries than hitting 30k acre countries, there would be less of a penalty for people growing at a faster pace.

Or if players agreed to not grab people significantly larger or smaller than them, players would be able to grow without worrying about being grabbed by someone lazier and smaller than them.

I bet you play solitaire a lot.

Kill4Free Game profile

May 5th 2011, 13:24:57

Pop speaks truth, not the 1 man tags complaining about being farmed almost all of the time :P Unless it is by another one man tag.
NBK

Rockman Game profile

May 5th 2011, 13:29:41

Originally posted by Primeval:

I bet you play solitaire a lot.

I don't play solitaire at all.

I'm not dumb enough to think that if I'm 30k acres, I can grow by hitting 15k acre countries that can retal me. Exchanging grabs benefits the smaller country. If we want to fix the problem of land in this game, we need to stop penalizing growth.

Realizing that its wiser for my 30k acre country to trade land with another 30k acre country than to grab a 15k acre country doesn't indicate that I like playing solitaire, it just means I'm not a fluffing idiot.

Primeval Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 5th 2011, 13:52:09

No, once again you completely miss (purposely or not) what someone is trying to say and you continue to manipulate ideas to better suit your vain argument. What you've been implying indicates that once you get to a certain size you feel you should be untouchable by most and those that can, shouldn't be given a fair retal.

Your warped sense of grabbing in this game is the lesser evil of those that are masturbating their own countries and then sending themselves to DR all round, but its still stupid.

I'd say I wish I had more time to explain things to you but I'm actually pretty happy that I don't. The sooner this thread gets back to discussing the current cost of food the better.

Kill4Free Game profile

May 5th 2011, 13:59:32

Had to drop it from 55, wasn't making any profit that high :(
NBK

Havoc Game profile

May 5th 2011, 14:09:13

Originally posted by Popcom:
its funny, some of the bigger clans every set whine about getting hit, on here or in PM, or IRC, whichever.
but the small well runs 1 mans get left alone.
perhaps take a clue from them...

bullfluff, if you look at 1a where there's no self-farming or people putting themself in DR, one man tags or tags with 1-5 countries get farmed into oblivion every single reset.

One man tags here don't whine or get grabbed much because they generally don't get very fat or become good grab targets in the first place, and FFA seems to have a mutual respect for one man tags who don't bother anyone.
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

Kill4Free Game profile

May 5th 2011, 14:15:20

True we do have more respect for 1 man tags here, a lot of the reason is cause a 1man tag with 16 countries can do a decent amount of damage. In 1a, the damage they can do is very little.

But hitting yourself into DR IMO exempts you from any hit cap clans might have, after all if they are only outta DR once a month, gotta take the chance to hit it, while it is available!
NBK

Popcom Game profile

May 5th 2011, 14:20:09

fairly sure im talking about FFA....,.,or did i go to the wrong boards....
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

Rockman Game profile

May 5th 2011, 14:23:06

Originally posted by Primeval:
No, once again you completely miss (purposely or not) what someone is trying to say and you continue to manipulate ideas to better suit your vain argument. What you've been implying indicates that once you get to a certain size you feel you should be untouchable by most and those that can, shouldn't be given a fair retal.

Your warped sense of grabbing in this game is the lesser evil of those that are masturbating their own countries and then sending themselves to DR all round, but its still stupid.

I'd say I wish I had more time to explain things to you but I'm actually pretty happy that I don't. The sooner this thread gets back to discussing the current cost of food the better.

Manipulate what ideas? I've never implied that once I get to a certain size I should be untouchable. Just like last set, members in IMP are trying to win an argument with me by attributing ideas to me that aren't mine.

My argument is that exchanging grabs with someone smaller than you is not advantageous, thus bigger countries do not have the incentive to grab other alliances that can retal them. Thus people who are more successful at acquiring land are given the incentive to not attack alliances who can retal them.

My idea was not that if you grow you should be untouchable. My point was that if you are good at acquiring land, there is no incentive for you to have player to player interaction with people who are not as good at acquiring land. Thus player to player interaction is sought after by those who have not done as good a job of acquiring land, and is shied away from by those who have done a better job of acquiring land.

I did not ever say that one should be untouchable if they grow big, what I implied was that there needs to be a reason for player to player interaction for countries who grow big. I in fact implied the opposite of what you are trying to attribute to me.

You need to learn how to argue better. Intetionally misstating someone's position so that you can win the argument is very ineffective, and it makes you look like an asshole and an idiot.

Popcom Game profile

May 5th 2011, 14:24:46

or a republican!

ooooooooo
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

Havoc Game profile

May 5th 2011, 14:30:24

fairly sure im talking about FFA....,.,or did i go to the wrong boards....

Sure, I'm just telling you what happens in a server when there isn't self-farming and what would happen here if that were also the case.
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

Kill4Free Game profile

May 5th 2011, 14:37:33

Most of this would be fixed it there was like a 100 country cap for clans, as it is, only a handful of big ones.
NBK

Primeval Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 5th 2011, 14:43:21

So... how about that food market?

I wonder what is actually in a bushel of food. Do you think it includes all dietary needs?

Havoc Game profile

May 5th 2011, 14:48:33

I'd be fine with a 100 country cap for clans.. How would that fix everything though? Other than letting more warrers war and netters net..
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

Drinks Game profile

May 5th 2011, 14:49:07

K4F disband NBK and make a 100 country tag :)
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

Havoc Game profile

May 5th 2011, 14:51:24

That'd be basically the same as Team though, if everyone was running the max allowed..
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

braden Game profile

May 5th 2011, 15:01:53

"With strong defense and strong retallers, why would people be hitting you at all? Or are you already predicting your inability to actually keeping the strong defense and strong retallers that you plan on attempting to run?"

To quote Jane from firefly.. I once hit a guy in the neck from five hundred yards with a bent scope, don't that count for nothing?

nope, wrong quote, sorry. If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steaks right now. There we go.

I foresee many hits coming my way. I am sure I will get a number of dnhs, maybe a nap or two, when I make my thread asking politely for people to not farm the fluff out of me. But people will inevitably see my sixteen countries and determine they have a better chance of not being retalled (if him and nine other people PS me once or twice I simply wouldn't have the jets available on hand to use what with PS's and what not, so I would lose a number of retals before the deadline was up)

My best hope would be high defense, low acres. So i guess techer and some reselling next reset for me. As opposed to low defense, high production farmers and cashers while I'm in tko. I look forward to trying, but I don't really hold very much hope. Somebody will RoR and I'll take my owed however many hits, and they'll kill for me it. I don't know who, the fun is in finding out :P

Rockman Game profile

May 5th 2011, 15:03:45

Originally posted by Havoc:
That'd be basically the same as Team though, if everyone was running the max allowed..

Yep, but on team server, that just means the alliances on team server have 10-20 countries instead of the 30+ needed for alliance server (except for Fire, they're just awesome). So if we made a 100 country cap in FFA, there would still be alliances who go around the spirit of the 100 country cap.

But back to the topic of food. Is market manipulation where one country benefits more than the others an acceptable netting tactic? Obviously self-farmers have no problem with this, but its those opposed to self-farming who will have varying views.

Edited By: Rockman on May 5th 2011, 15:20:06
See Original Post

Drinks Game profile

May 5th 2011, 15:06:38

Ill stop posting just for the hell of it

Edited By: Drinks on May 5th 2011, 15:08:45
See Original Post
<Drinks> going to bed

Bigwiggle Game profile

May 5th 2011, 15:27:00

I'm a little ignorant on the positions here so bear with me ..

The 'conservative' platform I'll call it.. is anti ANY type of intra-user manipulation? As in FA chains, buyouts, self-farming, DR'ing yourself.. In order to give one country an advantage over your others
Wiggity

Pandora's Last Vikings | THE OMEGA

msn -

Popcom Game profile

May 5th 2011, 16:35:24

i dont see how u can put FA chains on the same page as DR yourself.
FA is in the game FOR FA...that's the point of it. the only purpose of the FA option is to send FA...
GS are NOT in the game for DR yourself. DR yourself is just finding a use for something outside of the spirit of the programming
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

Rockman Game profile

May 5th 2011, 16:37:49

FA is in the game FOR FA...that's the point of it. the only purpose of the FA option is to send FA...
GS are NOT in the game for DR yourself. DR yourself is just finding a use for something outside of the spirit of the programming

Yes, but FA is in the game for countries who need aid, not so that all your resources can be gathered in one country.

braden Game profile

May 5th 2011, 17:28:54

"is just finding a use for something outside of the spirit of the programming"

i believe are the words you were looking for, rockman?

Popcom Game profile

May 5th 2011, 17:34:11

Yes, but FA is in the game for countries who need aid, not so that all your resources can be gathered in one country.

define aid?
aid in getting bigger is aid.
GS on the other hand, are to attack, to torch food, and kill civilians.

1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

braden Game profile

May 5th 2011, 17:35:25

or to bounce and harmlessly push into dr

KeTcHuP Game profile

May 5th 2011, 17:36:43

FA chains hurt 15 countries to pump up one. I dislike the idea of that.
Ketchup the Thoughtful Suicidier

Popcom Game profile

May 5th 2011, 17:40:08

Originally posted by KeTcHuP:
FA chains hurt 15 countries to pump up one. I dislike the idea of that.

doesn't matter thou, its still aiding that one country. help is help, even if it doesn't farther you along...obviously it cant.

BUT, GS were never meant to be used how they are. they were meant to kill civilians or burn food. GS (or AB) yourself into DR is manipulating game mechanics against there intended purpose. which goes against the spirit of the game..
which the devs have stated is wrong on other servers. just not this one cause they like to do it here

also; i like food prices how they are now. made some nice coin over the last 24h :D

Edited By: Popcom on May 5th 2011, 17:42:39
See Original Post
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

KeTcHuP Game profile

May 5th 2011, 17:43:49

Spirit of the game has been removed from rules popcom.

And if it were against it, they would remove it. They fully know it exists, and leave it there. So it has a purpose and is part of the game.

If this was back in earth 2025 you could argue that when mehul had no idea what was going on. E-mail pang, etc. if they think you are right it will be changed. if not, then this is how to game is. If you dont like the game, stop playing it.
Ketchup the Thoughtful Suicidier

Popcom Game profile

May 5th 2011, 17:53:34

its purpose is so they can do it to.

other servers shape rules around the "spirit" of the game, or server. they just stopped before they got to FFA.

I choose to use dialog to try to change fluff. this is how the game evolves. but your idea is great to!

also;
more $49 food please. nom nom nom

Edited By: Popcom on May 5th 2011, 17:56:39
See Original Post
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

Kill4Free Game profile

May 5th 2011, 18:03:42

Seconded, feed me!!
NBK

Popcom Game profile

May 5th 2011, 18:10:27

Originally posted by Kill4Free:

Seconded, feed me!!

*gives k4f a cookie*

now, give me more food!!!!
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

de1i Game profile

May 5th 2011, 18:44:35

What devs actively play FFA and use DR to protect their self farming countries?

Popcom Game profile

May 5th 2011, 20:02:13

that 250k land one IMP killed last set was Slag no?
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

de1i Game profile

May 5th 2011, 21:28:14

I didn't play last reset but if i had to make a guess I would say yes. However I can say with close to 100% certainty that Slagpit has played FFA a whopping 2 resets, the first of which he ran only ~4 countries.

So IMO to say they support it because 1 dev who has used DR during 1 of the 2 resets he has played on this server is a HUGE reach.

Drinks Game profile

May 6th 2011, 1:15:31

Yeah slag did it last set. And they had known about Self DRing well before that. And now as far as i know, none of them play on FFA.

So i dont see how it benefits them. And from what i have seen in the past. The developers have been very good at doing whats best for the game, not whats best for them.
<Drinks> going to bed

gambit Game profile

May 6th 2011, 1:30:43

i declare this thread too much to read

now sell more food for under $49 :)
Natural Born Killer

Bsnake Game profile

May 6th 2011, 1:34:05

no no no... buy buy buy..... ive got over 200mill on the market...my troops need more oil,they are very thristy...
<Crippler> 115m NW

Bsnake Game profile

May 6th 2011, 1:34:56

the great things about these self farming threads is u dont need to read half the posts,they are all saying the same ting they say in all the other threads lol
<Crippler> 115m NW

gambit Game profile

May 6th 2011, 1:36:02

if your food isnt selling, you arent typing the correct numbers :P
Natural Born Killer

Bsnake Game profile

May 6th 2011, 1:38:50

maybe its the dodgy low grade crap im dumping onto the market ;)
<Crippler> 115m NW