Verified:

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 3rd 2011, 21:04:45

Dates the new system goes into effect by server:
Free For All:immediately
Alliance:immediately (round that begins Feb 4th)
Express:next round (round that begins Feb 9th)
Team:next round (round that begins Feb ~9th)
Primary:next round (round that begins March ~4th)
Tournament:next round (round that begins March ~4th)

We decided to change to a system that grants turns, extra random events, or permanent bonuses for countries. If this system does not work out well, we may change it back to the old system or try a whole new approach.

Part of the reason we added back turns after phasing them out was to provide an easy way for FFA players to use their bonuses and to give new or lazy players a way to spend bonus points without worrying about all of the other options. If we balanced the system correctly, many of the permanent bonuses will be more valuable than turns, depending of course on a country's strategy and playing style.

We understand that some players may have devised strategies revolving around the old bonus system. We apologize for not making it clearer that the bonuses would be constantly evolving and for not giving more notice to players about the new bonuses.

Every country still receives 2 points per vote. Hopefully there will be a few more ways to earn bonus points implemented soon. Bonus points expire at the earliest midnight GT time after 48 hours have passed. For example, any bonus points gained during today, February 3rd, would expire one second past February 5th, 23:59:59 GT.

Here is the new set of bonuses:

Turns
Turns are a country's most valuable resource. Gaining extra turns can increase a country's short term and long term growth. The cost of 1 extra turn is 2 bonus points.

Income events
Picking one of the four income events triggers a "boom" event on your country's next turn. These events are a great way to increase short term production.

Building Costs
The building cost bonus is a permanent bonus. Once purchased, the effects will never decay or expire. Investing in lowering building costs makes it cheaper both to construct and destroy buildings.

Defense
Investing in this permanent bonus will increase your country's military defending strength. If a country has a 5% defensive bonus, other countries will need to send 5% more attacking units to successfully attack that country. A country's defensive bonus can be viewed with a normal spy op or with a military spy op.

Luck
Luck is the subtlest of the permanent bonuses. Investing in luck will lead to better explore returns, greater missile production, and lower market times. In addition, lucky countries have a greater chance of getting spy ops against countries with better spy networks and a greater chance of successfully attacking when oversending.

Expenses
This permanent bonus decreases monetary military expenses. Investing in this bonus will decrease the money needed to pay your military units each turn.

Private Market Units
This permanent bonus increases the rate at which units appear for sale on your country's private market.

Resource Decay
This permanent bonus decreases bushel decay and corruption. Whenever a country plays a turn, it loses 0.1% of its bushels due to bushel decay. If a country plays a turn with more than $2,000,000,000 cash on hand, it loses 0.1% of its cash above $2 billion. Investing in this bonus decreases the amount of resources lost to decay.

GDI
Countries in GDI can activate this bonus to zero out GDI costs. However, after activation countries are unable to leave GDI for any reason.

Here are the current costs and effects for ffa and alliance. Please note that we may adjust the costs of these bonuses on other servers because other servers have less turns per round than ffa and alliance.

Extra turn:2 points
Income Event:4 points
Building Costs:8 points for a 1.25% reduction
Defense:16 points for a 1% increase
Luck:6 points for a 0.25% increase
Expenses:12 points for a 1.25% reduction
PM Units8 points for a 0.5% increase
Resource Decay6 points for a 2.5% reduction

Some of the permanent bonuses have a limit which may or may not be achievable with the number of points given out in a set. For example, if a country achieves a 100% reduction in resource decay, it cannot spend any further points towards that bonus.

Please note that a few of the effects of the new system (slightly longer expiration time and adding a defensive bonus field to spy ops) have spilled into the old system.

Edited By: Slagpit on Feb 3rd 2011, 21:24:18

NukEvil Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 21:06:32

A wild Wall'O Text appears!

I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 3rd 2011, 21:11:42

This system should be cool :) Props to slag for getting this all working :)
Finally did the signature thing.

spawn Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 21:20:19

nice :)
/slap iZarcon

All your deleted countries are belong to me!

bore Game profile

Patron

Feb 3rd 2011, 21:43:45

screw trying to understand what is best. i will invest everything in LUCK!

MorTcuS Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 21:48:02

can u make it visible on top right of screen when they expire? I tend to lose bonuses alot.
174099715 (not in use)

Steam : wargasm1

Drinks Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 22:25:06

cool changes
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

synoder Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:37:22

I am with bore on this one. I need all the luck I can get!

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 4th 2011, 1:40:56

I updated the interface a little bit.

BobbyATA Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:49:39

Is there a cap on the permanent bonuses. Like can I get my expenses to be negative?

Jelly

Feb 4th 2011, 2:05:08

will point costs raise or are they fixed?

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 4th 2011, 2:07:36

"Some of the permanent bonuses have a limit which may or may not be achievable with the number of points given out in a set. For example, if a country achieves a 100% reduction in resource decay, it cannot spend any further points towards that bonus."

Costs are fixed.

BobbyATA Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 3:05:41

man sorry I suck at reading. I looked over it twice and missed that somehow. Anyways, this is probably up there too (or somewhere else already) but can you direct me to a list of the caps for things. Obviously I might invest a lot into one tech if the cap is really high, but might not even start to invest if the cap is lower (for example expenses..)

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 4th 2011, 4:02:07

Originally posted by Slagpit:

Luck
Luck is the subtlest of the permanent bonuses. Investing in luck will lead to better explore returns, greater missile production, and lower market times. In addition, lucky countries have a greater chance of getting spy ops against countries with better spy networks and a greater chance of successfully attacking when oversending.

Should that be undersending?

Looks interesting, and it looks like you tried to take account of some of the comments on the Suggestions boards. Thanks to the admins for all the time they put towards making the game better.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 4th 2011, 4:23:12

lots of cool new options with this

also, luck=win!
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 4th 2011, 4:58:09

All reduction bonuses are capped at -100%. The other bonuses are not capped.

Tertius: it's oversending.

londwell

Feb 4th 2011, 6:39:15

never mind.... re-read the post

koonfasa

Feb 4th 2011, 8:57:58

Guessing it can't, but I'll say it anyway.

Edited By: koonfasa on Feb 4th 2011, 9:05:04. Reason: heh
See Original Post

BobbyATA Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 15:31:34

this is probably wrong but if I do resource decay bonus all first month I'll use 8*30=240 bonus points to get 0% decay on food and money. SO I can stock food until it peaks, sell it, keep all that cash on hand and play out rest of set just stocking cash (lets say I'm a rep casher). Seems pretty badass if I can avoid suiciders?

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 4th 2011, 21:02:34

@slag if it's oversending, then let me try to understand. So a defender has so much defense which you can calculate. Then there is some random modifier which could cause someone to bounce, even if they send just enough to normally break. So then luck reduces that random modifier so that you can oversend by less and still break? And then would it also be true that if you undersend by a little, the random modifier remains unchanged and you still have the small chance to break, but no additional luck bonus?

synoder Game profile

Feb 5th 2011, 23:23:16

the way I understand it you have a slight chance of bouncing no matter what but if you send 10% more than the break your chances are lower. It doesn't work the same way with undersending tho, you have no chance of breaking if you undersend.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 5th 2011, 23:56:53

synoder: you *could* theoretically break by undersending, it'd just be very unlikely
Finally did the signature thing.

lincoln

Feb 6th 2011, 1:34:18

undersending with spies works all the time

hardly seems fair
FoG

synoder Game profile

Feb 6th 2011, 2:38:14

really qz? hmm then I am with tertius, it seems like the luck bonus would help undersending as well.

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Feb 6th 2011, 5:39:20

Do these bonuses die with a country, or do they stick with the player for the set? Seems like a good way to give a hand to people who, I dunno, have a life and can't wall. :)
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

MorTcuS Game profile

Feb 7th 2011, 1:14:52

@main post
''In addition, lucky countries have a greater chance of getting spy ops against countries with better spy networks and a greater chance of successfully attacking when oversending.''

When did it get so urgent to get a success bonus on attacks when oversending? If you're oversending usually thats because you're sending more than the break no? That would mean the success rate is 100% or is there still that mehul factor?
174099715 (not in use)

synoder Game profile

Feb 7th 2011, 3:13:06

yeah there is still a chance that you will fail even if you send more than the break.

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 8th 2011, 22:10:04

ttt for a confirmation by slag or someone that it ONLY helps for oversending and that our discussion here is correct?

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Feb 9th 2011, 15:12:35

The over sending comment makes sense.

When you attack a country, you don't necessarily win just because you have: offense = defense + 1

You have a probability of success based on how much you over sent. for less than 3% you chance is somewhere around 65% (I don't know the numbers off the top of my head), between 3% - 6% it is somewhere in the mid 80's, and for greater than 6% it is somewhere in the 90's.

Luck must increase those probabilities.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 9th 2011, 15:54:56

It decreases the standard deviation of the "random factor".

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Feb 9th 2011, 17:03:44

ah ok, there you go.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 10th 2011, 14:43:40

are there only 3 bonuses now or is that just a temporary/display thing?

afaik Game profile

Feb 10th 2011, 17:14:36

I think it's reduced to 3 bonuses but one gives you 4 points... so the same as before but with less clicks (DoG was full of malware too so a good move)

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 11th 2011, 17:54:34

It will be 3 at least for the immediate future.

We added a notification on the portal about upcoming and available bonuses.

highrock Game profile

Feb 11th 2011, 20:00:24

Would it be more prudent to put the 4 bonus points on the 22 hour one? Maybe it would make things too unbalanced but it could also boost the voting for that one site?
formerly Viola MD

Evolution Game profile

Feb 21st 2011, 3:45:05

well you'd want the most voting on the site that attracts the most members.
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

rkchang Game profile

Feb 23rd 2011, 18:27:44

there's so many different cooldown's in this game now

6 turn bonus - 18hours
PS 20 hours
bonus 22/24 hours

MorTcuS Game profile

Feb 28th 2011, 2:01:04

dont forget dr and pm cooldown :P
174099715 (not in use)

Marshal Game profile

Feb 28th 2011, 21:33:19

and 4 bonus points every week.

could say that stuff selling time is kinda cooldown too.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....