Verified:

Rockman Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 18:02:42

Require that military units helping out be the same unit type as they are helping.

If I attack with 1 million jets and 10k tanks, then my ally should be able to send up to 1 million jets and up to 10k tanks to help me. He shouldn't lose a noticeable portion of his tanks when I attack with only jets.

And I still stand by my previous suggestion that offensive alliances should only help out on standard strikes, not planned strikes.

Detmer Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 18:11:55

Originally posted by Rockman:
Require that military units helping out be the same unit type as they are helping.

If I attack with 1 million jets and 10k tanks, then my ally should be able to send up to 1 million jets and up to 10k tanks to help me. He shouldn't lose a noticeable portion of his tanks when I attack with only jets.

Sounds completely reasonable.

And I still stand by my previous suggestion that offensive alliances should only help out on standard strikes, not planned strikes.

Or your allies' military is gone for that long as well so if you PS they suffer for being allied to you. I feel like that would actually be a helpful change.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 1st 2011, 20:09:18

That just complicates things quite a bit, and makes it more confusing for most people; we had this discussion when we coded allies, and settled on all forces helping, and losing proportionally.
Finally did the signature thing.

NOW3P Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 20:12:34

I guess the follow up question on the methodology would be how ally assistance is calculated. Is it based on units sent, or on total offensive value sent?

If it's the first, then this would be a feasible idea (minus the complexity issues). If it's the 2nd, it would seem to be a moot point.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 1st 2011, 20:15:04

total offence points of your off ally are calculated, divided by 4, and added to your total sending points, to a maximum of doubling your offence points.

And yes, we *could* have done it this way; we even considered it, however we discounted it for a number of good reasons which I'd have to defer to slagpit on because I don't really remember them, none of which were related to programmatical complexity.
Finally did the signature thing.

Rockman Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 20:26:50

Originally posted by qzjul:
That just complicates things quite a bit, and makes it more confusing for most people; we had this discussion when we coded allies, and settled on all forces helping, and losing proportionally.

I don't think it complicates or confuses things much. Especially since people usually do not attack with troops and tanks, thus all you have to do is look at your offensive ally's jet count rather than his jet+troop/2+tank*2 count. It would be slightly more difficult to code (but still not hard), but for the attacker, I think it would simplify things.

NOW3P Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 20:43:10

It most definitely would complicate things more - perhaps not hours of work more, but enough to add another layer of work/complexity to planning a grab.

Planning a grab would take on a whole new level of necessary coordination if you suddenly had to calculate not only how many offensive points your ally would be adding to your grab, but also re-calculating each unit and dividing by 4 (and assuming the same would have to be implemented for Def allies as well, btw).

Given how the ally aid is calculated, it just doesn't seem worth it to make the change, imo.

Chewi Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 17:21:50

Make it so you choose what you send for offensive alliances? The alliance is pretty bad if your ally decides to go grab happy killing a good chunk of your troops/tanks.

Forgotten

Mar 2nd 2011, 19:36:30

logs out with 600k tanks, my ally goes insane for a day.

log back in with 200k tanks.

notice you got ABed to the ground because your ally killed 400k tanks of yours.

priceless.

~LaF's Retired Janitor~