Verified:

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Mar 23rd 2011, 16:23:45

this is for the ultra lazy type

a button you can select when doing start ups that would make all your countries do the same exact thing
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com

Havoc Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 16:24:57

there's been a lot of talk about this and i think they're actually considering it
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

mrford Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 16:25:48

they are actually testing something like this fyi
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Dragon Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 16:26:48

That would be cool as hell.

mrford Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 17:04:35

from what limited knowledge i have, as i understand it

what is being considered is a "memory" type function. to where you can run a startup on a country and have the game "remember" it. this way you can run multiple strats and have them stored for the set. i do not think that it carries from set to set though.

as i said, this is just what was being talked about last time it was discussed in front of me. im sure one of the other admins can be a little more clear on the specifics and/or a timetable.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Kill4Free Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 17:12:53

I don't want that, I wanna do my startups the old fashioned way!
So many ways to die, only one way to live...
NBK

Link Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 18:21:19

would be awesome
Link.

I Am a meat popsicle.

Elders
ICN
NBK
PanLV
SALT
MaK
Valks
CwG

Primeval Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Mar 23rd 2011, 18:27:45

seems incredibly bot-like

Dragon Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 18:40:16

Beyond the first 99 turns, I'd agree that it would be "bot-like". As far as that goes, if someone enjoys doing start-ups that much (although I can't imagine why), make it optional. Do the old school manual start-ups, or have pre-built 99 turn countries available.

Kill4Free Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 19:05:36

Startup #90 just made :)

I think the way it is, is fine.
NBK

mrford Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 20:24:32

No one is impressed with your incredible ability to die K4F.

Please stop injecting it at every opportunity.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Kill4Free Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 20:26:32

Yeah, cause I mentioned that before, troll.

NBK

mrford Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 20:28:15

you have, and im sure you will again.

WE SO LEET, WE KILL BIG COUNTRIES WITH OUR TINY RESTARTS!
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Kill4Free Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 22:01:48

Damn right we are.
NBK

mrford Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 22:03:36

you are supposed to retort aggressively so i can yell back at you and i can get a solid 10-15 more posts from the resulting flaming

work with me here man
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Kill4Free Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 22:40:45

Oh, sorry.

Why don't you come on down here and say that to me in person, so I can paint your face with your own blood after I rip your arm off and beat you to death with the wet end?
NBK

Dragon Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 22:52:39

I'm just saying that not everyone feels the need to take the amount of time required to do what is essentially a tedious, repetitive process that does nothing but waste time.

Dragon Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 22:59:11

Obviously, K4F and Prim (and I'm sure some others) are Old Schoolers who still find it enjoyable to spend their spare time doing manual startups that a far lager amount of people aren't really all that crazy about spending.

A smart business move isn't catering to the "old schoolers" in terms of startups, self-farming, etc.

Anyone who can't abide by changes that attract more players (and revenues) are certainly welcome to spend the time and money to create and administrate a game that suits their personal preferences.

Just sayin'

Kill4Free Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 0:53:02

Im saying that people who can only run 1 country a set are already playing EE, that will not attract any new players, and would only leave a slight chance of migration over to this server. Sure auto startups might help a bit, but lets all be honest here, the bulk of most peoples time isn't running startups.

One can run 16 startups in 30min easily to turn 99.

Im just saying that going to all that effort to save people a single shot of 30min is a waste of time that could be better spent upgrading the game in other ways.
NBK

Dragon Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 1:05:17

Sheesh. Dude...

Kill4Free Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 13:06:41

The time they have available to upgrade is limited, and something like auto startups would not be easy to implement, as other fixes that are more useful and faster.
NBK

Primeval Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Mar 24th 2011, 13:27:47

Kill4Free and I both run war clans and still don't like this idea. That should tell you something.

mrford Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 13:29:53

IMP is a war clan?
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Dragon Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 15:18:54

Originally posted by Primeval:
Kill4Free and I both run war clans and still don't like this idea. That should tell you something.

So maybe other than saying you feel like it's "bottish", are there any other more specific reasons why it's a bad thing?

Dragon Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 15:22:07

Originally posted by Kill4Free:
The time they have available to upgrade is limited, and something like auto startups would not be easy to implement, as other fixes that are more useful and faster.

Such as? I mean these "fixes that are more useful and faster"? It's an interesting debate.

Twain Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 15:24:00

Of course. War clans would hate this, because typically they're going to have more dedication to restarting than a netting clan (of course, speaking as a clan entirely, not individuals).

It would shift power slightly towards the less dedicated clan in a war, because it would make it more likely than their players will consistently restart. Take PAN for instance--with the exception of 4-5 players who never restarted at all, we've done very well with restarting in this war, but if you look back 2 resets to our last war with NBK, more of our players just didn't have their hearts in it to keep restarting and really gave up much earlier, especially as the war continued to skew more and more towards NBK.

I don't doubt for a second that NBK would've won that war even if there was a 99-turn restart bot, but I'd imagine we'd have at least put up more kills in a losing effort.

Dragon Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 15:27:26

I dunno Twain. If you recall, I started in PAN with 4 countries and when IMP/Swords/Etc dec'd, I made 12 more to fight with. And that's coming from a guy who'd rather lick K4F's sweaty ballsack than war.

Your logic obviously doesn't necessarily apply.

Edited By: Dragon on Mar 24th 2011, 15:29:28
See Original Post

Kill4Free Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 15:31:35

Originally posted by Dragon:

Such as? I mean these "fixes that are more useful and faster"? It's an interesting debate.

Check out the suggestion board :) There are a ton of good suggestions on there, many more useful and more fun then a auto startup bot.

If this is an upgrade that takes little effort on their part, it would be handy, but I doubt that is the case.
NBK

Primeval Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Mar 24th 2011, 15:42:19

Originally posted by Dragon:

So maybe other than saying you feel like it's "bottish", are there any other more specific reasons why it's a bad thing?

Anything that automates actual gameplay is a bad thing in my opinion. I was already not a fan of the standing orders. Basically playing my turns for me would seem utterly ridiculous.

Originally posted by Twain:
Of course. War clans would hate this, because typically they're going to have more dedication to restarting than a netting clan (of course, speaking as a clan entirely, not individuals).

It would shift power slightly towards the less dedicated clan in a war, because it would make it more likely than their players will consistently restart.

I disagree with this part. War clans clearly have to restart more, ergo, more work/time. "Dedication" to building those countries shouldn't be a factor one should be worried about when changing game mechanics. Although I do agree with a script like this, NBK would have been tougher and closer vs. FoCuS/PANLV. This confuses me when you say war clans would hate it, but then give us an example where it would have helped one...

Do I wish restarts were less of a pain in the ass? Of course. But I do it because that's part of the game. I don't want an automated script doing it or me.

I'm also not sure why this discussion has become so heated. To me, this seems like just a simple idea that was thrown out - not something likely to be implemented anytime soon.

Dragon Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 16:37:53

Check out the suggestion board :) There are a ton of good suggestions on there, many more useful and more fun then a auto startup bot.

If this is an upgrade that takes little effort on their part, it would be handy, but I doubt that is the case.

You might be right about the difficulty, I suppose. I admit that I know very little about what kind of programming it would take to offer 99 turn boilerplate startups to players as an option to manually starting them up.

Dragon Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 16:41:56

Anything that automates actual gameplay is a bad thing in my opinion. I was already not a fan of the standing orders. Basically playing my turns for me would seem utterly ridiculous.

I'm also not sure why this discussion has become so heated. To me, this seems like just a simple idea that was thrown out - not something likely to be implemented anytime soon.

Not to derail the subject, but stuff like standing orders and providing players with 99 turn boilerplate startups to get going with really isn't automation IMO.

What it DOES do is save time for folks with lives. I remember the old days when I'd have to sit for hours watching the market to buy goods at specific prices and such. Buying doesn't take turns, it takes time.

I understand your argument though I don't agree with it. As far as the discussion getting heated, it's definitely not my intent to heat things up. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Twain Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 16:46:59

Prim: I'm actually saying the opposite. I'm saying that war clans should like it, as they're used to warring and used to restarting. Netters typically don't have as much likelihood to restart. I was simply saying most of us in PAN/FoCuS have done an exceptional job (at least for two clans that are primarily netting clans) of restarting, but that in other wars PAN has fought, our restart rate hasn't been as great, and that a 99-turn script might have actually helped us at least stay closer to NBK a couple sets ago.

synoder Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 17:33:21

agreed, a 99 turn script would help netters more but then maybe netting tags would war more often so in the end it helps war clans as well :)

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 24th 2011, 22:37:17

New FFA gameplay rules:

-countries may only built 1 cs or construct one bpt's worth of buildings at a time
-countries may only explore 1 turn at a time
-countries may only tech 1 turn at a time
-countries may only cash 1 turn at a time
-countries may only do 1 spy op at a time

What does everyone think?

synoder Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 23:01:15

me likey

mrford Game profile

Mar 24th 2011, 23:04:23

ill bet the masters K4F and prime like! its not automated!
Swagger of a Chupacabra

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Mar 24th 2011, 23:11:32

Oh I like the idea of the lazy man's copy startup, I could actually play some countries. LOL

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Twain Game profile

Mar 25th 2011, 0:04:37

lol, good god that would suck.

I basically put my trust in all of you administrators. You've already done such an amazing job compared to the E2025 administrations (whether it be Mehul, or even worse Jolt) that everything you've done and everything you're doing is a blessing. I'm sure everyone here, whether they like the idea of the 99-turn automation or not agrees.

Kill4Free Game profile

Mar 25th 2011, 0:26:53

Meh Slagpit pretty much trolls FFA boards now, thanks for your very helpful post, yet again.
NBK

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 25th 2011, 1:08:35

Well if you'd like for me to be more direct about it, ultimately the game should be fun and easy to play. If it's not then we're doing a bad job.

There isn't any value to me in locking players out just because they aren't hardcore enough.

Kill4Free Game profile

Mar 25th 2011, 1:17:48

My arguement was not that it is a stupid idea (Although it doesn't make a big difference for me, I mean 16 startups only takes 30min....) but this would require a lot of programming to put in smoothly, and out of all the upgrades that could be done to the game (A new gov type, a new military unit, maybe a gov specific unit, more defensive alliance slots, market for missiles, selling spies on public market, a use for oil other then killing, blocking direct self farming, for starters...) that would be easier to implement, more useful, and more helpful for almost everyone in this game then saving, for most people, 30min once per 2 months.
NBK

mrford Game profile

Mar 25th 2011, 1:31:00

the changes slagpit is working on are all pretty sweet ones. just have a little faith. have they done you wrong yet? i think all the changes to FFA have been stellar ones.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Kill4Free Game profile

Mar 25th 2011, 1:37:23

I never said the changes he makes are bad, Ive not been disappointed, was making a statement :P
NBK

mrford Game profile

Mar 25th 2011, 1:45:54

well this alleged "script" is only a SMALL portion of the large scale portal page changes slag is busting his balls on.

you will cream your panties when it rolls out, so go buy a spare pair and sit back to wait.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Twain Game profile

Mar 25th 2011, 1:58:11

Now you've made me a skeptic too. I love what they've done with the game, but I expect cream-free panties still after this change.

Dragon Game profile

Mar 30th 2011, 13:45:53

THE GODS HAVE LISTENED.

Automatic Startups.

OMFG THANK YOU GODS.

Kill4Free Game profile

Mar 30th 2011, 14:23:41

97 turn cs starts, lol. Ah well, at least they are pretty simple.
NBK

ZDH Game profile

Mar 30th 2011, 15:16:33

Automatic start ups thats cool.
-BigZ

aponic Game profile

Mar 30th 2011, 15:16:52

Cheers to Slagpit
SOF
Cerevisi