Verified:

Test Game profile

Jul 14th 2011, 10:09:30

Why not setup a 1 year or no time limit playing period portal instead of all those 2 3 months ones.

Reason: 1 year/no time limit playing period portal can ensure everyone stay on to play for maybe at least a year instead of 2 3 months. And the 1 year portal will have more players playing it. Imagine all the players currently playing in all the different portal all joining the 1 year portal. That will be a massive field compare to the now size of each portal.
And i believe new players will be more interested in a year/no time limit portal instead of a 2/3 months portal. All your hard work and time spend gone within 2/3 months. New players will usually stop after that.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 14th 2011, 18:02:14

An interesting idea; there is some weird behaviours that might come out of unlimited time, but they might not all be bad...
Finally did the signature thing.

Havoc Game profile

Jul 14th 2011, 18:33:30

"All your hard work and time spend gone within 2/3 months"

This could make getting killed 2-3months into the set very depressing as well..
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Jul 14th 2011, 18:39:31

yeah while i'd support the idea because it'd be fun to see how big you really could grow a country, some asshole would kill you 6 months in and you'd be depressed

or you'd get bored as hell. i probably would.

Havoc Game profile

Jul 14th 2011, 18:59:55

plus starting late..
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

PapaSmurf Game profile

Jul 14th 2011, 20:28:27

I would be okay with it, only if we still had all the other current games.

Test Game profile

Jul 15th 2011, 3:38:59

starting late might be a pain in the early stage but once u start growing, it might not be all that bad. Look at all other games, people do start late but they will be others who will start later than you. It will increase the playing field.
There can be rules that prevent bigger countries from attacking you. Example; no countries bigger than 2.5x or 3x are able to attack you.
As for you been killed, i guess there is nothing you can do. Its a game of been killed or get kills. Just make sure there are rules to prevent bigger countries from attacking way smaller countries.
Just maybe replace one of the current portal with a longer period portal. It wont create extra cost/burden on the owner/host. Maybe other than be prepare for a bigger hosting because of the increasing play field.

Marshal Game profile

Jul 15th 2011, 20:36:41

exploring would need major tweaking at 1 year+ server (start at 100 acre per turn maybe).
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Drinks Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 5:32:00

Yeah, Think about that. Spending 9 months on a country to have some punk ass sucider ruin it.

Or someone declaring war 3 months into the set. What the hell you going to do for the last 8 months.

The game is too fast paced. When a country can die in under 1 minute. You cant have it last 1 year.
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

Marshal Game profile

Jul 16th 2011, 20:26:52

oiler might be good on 1 year set due longer wars.

Forgotten

Jul 21st 2011, 10:23:46

never ending games are a niche, and it doesn't hurt the game at all to have an additional server to see what's the reaction from the community.

what about just having long period games that end on a funny date?

2012 'end of the world' as end date anyone? that's 16 months away.

starting late could easily be avoided by having unlimited stored turns, and all turns you missed out from start of set will be in your stored turns bin.

(which also means that people could literally start 5 months late on a one year set and won't miss a beat at the end of the set)
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 21st 2011, 16:47:48

Or a game that ends in 2025 ? hehehe
Finally did the signature thing.

Marshal Game profile

Jul 21st 2011, 20:31:57

Originally posted by qzjul:
Or a game that ends in 2025 ? hehehe

before or after iceage?