Verified:

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 20th 2011, 3:36:36

I guess it doesn't hydrate you so I hope you're drinking plenty of pop...

EU bans claim that water can prevent dehydration

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...-prevent-dehydration.html

Nuketon Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 3:45:13

Just.... wow.

LMFAO! This is idiocracy at its best.

Junky Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 4:07:32

well least I don't have to hear them state the obvious anymore... a glass of water will do the same as a bottle of water... no hydrate you... now that the matter is settled back to drinking a nice glass of sugar flavored carbonated fruit drink...
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Nov 20th 2011, 4:10:23

Typical trash from the UK media

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqVJEZnYiZo
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

kemo Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 4:34:40

see thats why i eat an entire wicker chair once a week just for the fiber
all praised to ra

Detmer Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 4:51:17

Is that a serious article?

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 10:49:01

you must ignore the demands of your body and drink 10 billion liters of our water everyday to be da healthy.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Pain Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 12:11:15

"Rules banning bent bananas and curved cucumbers were scrapped in 2008 after causing international ridicule."

how can anyone take then seriously when they try to do fluff like this. is there even a such thing as a straight banana?

Your mother is a nice woman

mold Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 12:47:02

Fooglmog Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 13:29:10

Pain, there was a rumour circulating in Europe for a long time that the EU had passed a law that bananas could not be sold if their curve was too large (I have no idea where the line was).

For the most part, it was treated as an urban-myth and many people went to great efforts to prove that there was no such law.

I'm not actually clear on whether or not the law did indeed exist -- however, the EU did see fit to repeal it, whether it ever existed or not.

The water thing isn't quite so far fetched as it seems, it is stupid, but it's grounded in real facts. That article just doesn't try to explain it.

Effectively there are three types of dehydration. "Hypertonic", which is a lack of water, "hypotonic" which is a loss of electrolytes and "Isotonic" which is when both happen.

Drinking water will effectively prevent hypertonic dehydration. However, hypotonic dehydration is still a risk. In fact, because water flushes electrolytes out of your system, drinking water in isolation increases your risk of hypotonic dehydration.

For example: If you run a 3 hour marathon without drinking anything, you'll be in a state of isotonic dehydration. If you drink a large quantity of water, you'll be in a state of hypotonic dehydration. If you drink enough electrolyte giving fluid, you can usually avoid dehydration.

In the same vein, if you work out vigorously for 30 minutes without drinking, you may not be in a state of dehydration at all. However, if you drink large quantities of water during that time, you may actually end up in hypotonic dehydration.

If you're in a situation where dehydration is a risk and you'll have to treat it/prevent it yourself, it's important to know these things. If water is allowed to say "prevents dehydration" people who don't know any better may not take into account the other factors, and that could have serious ramifications.

It's still a stupid law, but it has some basis in reality. There are situations where it can be very bad to think that water alone will prevent dehydration.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Angel1 Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 14:09:56

Frankly, Fooglmog, if you are that stupid and don't think that you need electrolytes (more than just water) after working out heavily, then no amount of legislation from Brussels or anywhere else is going save your life. Violate the laws of nature (inclduing nature's law against stupidity) and you will eventually die. That's how life works.

This edict should be repealed. If they issued an edict requiring a statement that water does not provide electrolytes should companies wish to make the claim that water can help prevent dehydration, then there would be less ridicule.

**Edit: Authors Note: Do not mean to imply that Fooglmog is stupid. "You" is meant to refer to noone in particular and certainly not Fooglmog.
-Angel1

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Nov 20th 2011, 15:30:50

lol crazy.

Mind you Canada has a law that says you can't advertise extra benefit from a natural (non-manufactured) food directly on it's packaging or something like that. ie. you can't label bottled water saying that your water quenches thirst better than other water and you can't advertise the fact that water hydrates you either (directly on your product). However it's ok to have an add saying that all water hydrates you.

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Fooglmog Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 16:57:24

Thanks for the caveat at the end there Angel. I'm not sure if it says something good about my reputation as a poster, or bad about my reputation as a mod. But thanks either way.

And yes, it's a dumb law that ought to be repealed. Because, in truth, water does "help prevent dehydration". It just doesn't do it by itself. I was just trying to make clear that this law isn't entirely out of left field.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Edited By: Fooglmog on Nov 20th 2011, 17:02:40
See Original Post

Nov 20th 2011, 18:12:20

Fooglmog is just trying to make us more intelligent and informed.
we must resist the temptation. temptation is bad.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 20th 2011, 18:37:49

Originally posted by Detmer:
Is that a serious article?

Yes, it's a serious news article.

Originally posted by mold:

Yes, I do live in the blue. Most people I know do call it pop. For me it just seems like the natural word for it.

Originally posted by Fooglmog:
I was just trying to make clear that this law isn't entirely out of left field.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

You're right I think its off the filed entirely. It's somewhere in parking lot R.

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
Fooglmog is just trying to make us more intelligent and informed.
we must resist the temptation. temptation is bad.

You're trolling has become terrible, this is a grand opportunity to flex your mind muscles and trash some forums!

Nov 20th 2011, 18:47:07

could be. i did buy a bigger bottle of brandy today. maybe i will be able to acheive the correct alcohol levels this time. is difficult to hide under bridge when they can see me popping out for booze every few hours.

Lowbacca Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 18:53:59

Latest news from the EU.... Eating food will not combat Hunger
Lowbacca
Paradigm
Head of Border Control

Marshal Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 18:55:59

Pain, there was a rumour circulating in Europe for a long time that the EU had passed a law that bananas could not be sold if their curve was too large (I have no idea where the line was).

I heard it was cucumber but according to telegraph it was both: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...-rules-dropped-by-EU.html
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Lowbacca Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 19:04:08

Drinking Alcohol will not get you Drunk...Latest from EU
Lowbacca
Paradigm
Head of Border Control

Nov 20th 2011, 19:07:26

hmm, the EU wouldn't happen to be in charge of that global warming stuff, would they?

Flamey Game profile

Nov 20th 2011, 20:47:08

There is a Eurozone crisis going on and billions is being spent of stupid fluff like this.

Nov 20th 2011, 20:54:40

parents should have taught their children how to drink water responsibly. :-P

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 21st 2011, 0:03:01

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
hmm, the EU wouldn't happen to be in charge of that global warming stuff, would they?

No that would be Al Gore.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Nov 21st 2011, 15:10:45

repeat:

trash from the uk media

no wonder the public is anti EU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqVJEZnYiZo
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

arthog Game profile

Nov 21st 2011, 15:17:37

drink beer

Serpentor Game profile

Nov 21st 2011, 20:12:05

Drinking water will effectively prevent hypertonic dehydration. However, hypotonic dehydration is still a risk. In fact, because water flushes electrolytes out of your system, drinking water in isolation increases your risk of hypotonic dehydration.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

So let me get this straight....every other life form on the planet earth is in a constant risk of "hypotonic dehydration" at all times because they only drink water, except of course for the humans who consume Gatorade regularly.
The EEVIL Empire

Fooglmog Game profile

Nov 22nd 2011, 2:50:37

I think that the further away you get from humans in anatomy, the more differences you'll find in how/if electrolytes are used or needed. I don't know enough about the biology of grass, squid or squirrels to be able to speak to the question of "every other life form", but I don't think they're all at risk of dehydration if they lack Gatorade.

However, when I said "drink water in isolation", I meant without drinking or eating anything else. Gatorade's done an awfully good job of marketing if you think the only way to get electrolytes is to drink their product.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Devestation Game profile

Nov 22nd 2011, 4:35:18

The clear answer is that bananas with curves that are larger than the legal limit are capable of passively blocking out the mind control waves if you leave one wedged in your ass at all times.

Pain Game profile

Nov 22nd 2011, 4:44:14

obviously you cant survive by drinking only water and not eating otherwise there would be no such thing as starvation, i think most people understand that concept. you could survive on drinking only water as your only form of hydration though.
Your mother is a nice woman

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 22nd 2011, 5:12:11

I think that the further away you get from humans in anatomy, the more differences you'll find in how/if electrolytes are used or needed. I don't know enough about the biology of grass, squid or squirrels to be able to speak to the question of "every other life form", but I don't think they're all at risk of dehydration if they lack Gatorade.

However, when I said "drink water in isolation", I meant without drinking or eating anything else. Gatorade's done an awfully good job of marketing if you think the only way to get electrolytes is to drink their product.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Gatoraid is only needed if you're doing high intensity activity otherwise it is additional calories (sugar) that you just don't need normally. Drinking water is key, and most americans do not drink enough water.

But you guys are losing focus on the topic... The topic is about how idiotic the EU is regarding this.