Nov 22nd 2011, 23:41:09

Im farmer fluff and this is my fluff

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 22nd 2011, 23:44:14

I rub the magic 8 ball...

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Nov 22nd 2011, 23:45:01

the emergency broadcasting system that is built into my radio.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

elvesrus

Nov 22nd 2011, 23:45:03

Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

Klown Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 0:47:12

I'd have to see the methodology used by the prestigious Farleigh fluffinson University before I give this article any value.

Detmer Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 0:59:00

Originally posted by Klown:
I'd have to see the methodology used by the prestigious Farleigh fluffinson University before I give this article any value.

Study: http://publicmind.fdu.edu/2011/knowless/
Methodology: http://publicmind.fdu.edu/ (on there somewhere, according to the study)

izapimp Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 1:12:08

al jazeera news can be found on the radio and internet and tele
-maKaroni

NightShade

Nov 23rd 2011, 1:16:19

I don't watch much television, maybe once in a great while, but in all reality I get my news from CNN and BBC News online.
SOTA • GNV
SOTA President
http://sota.ghqnet.com

a.k.a. Stryke
Originally posted by Bsnake:
I was sitting there wondering how many I could kill with one set of chopsticks

hanlong Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 1:32:10

Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 23rd 2011, 2:03:52

It's really not surprising that Fox News watchers are less informed; Rupert Murdoch and Glenn Beck have both said that Fox News is an entertainment company and not focused on investigative journalism or ethical reporting. They rely on opinion based news with people who call in regurgitating the opinion that was just said and thus somehow corroborating the "truth" of it all.

Angel1 Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 2:25:17

Tertius, funny how informed I am and Fox News is my primary source of news. My other main source of news is the Wall Street Journal.
-Angel1

Sauron NBK Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 2:32:14

Philly D

Detmer Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 2:41:39

Originally posted by Angel1:
Tertius, funny how informed I am and Fox News is my primary source of news. My other main source of news is the Wall Street Journal.

How informed you think you are ;)

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Nov 23rd 2011, 3:08:46

I don't understand people who only read one side of every issue.

I make sure to get a good cross section of news from multiple sources on both sides of the fence. Plus some I consider relatively unbiased in that they seem to agree/disagree with both sides with equal frequency. (Typically read: Washington Post, New York Times, Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, Vancouver Sun, Calgary Herald, Montreal Gazette, Ottawa Citizen, National Post, BBC, CBC).

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 23rd 2011, 4:28:13

I find that the BBC is more reliable than any american news station. American news stations are less than attractive if you want the real news/truth without a hidden agenda.

Lord Slayer Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 5:21:21

If you get your news from one or 2 sources, you arn't really informed.

YOu can be the most open minded person, but if you get the majority of your info from 1-2 places, your info and thougths are automatically leaning that way. As H4 basically just said above me:)

Alana Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 5:21:55

CP24!
Alana
LCN Peon

Fooglmog Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 5:26:15

Originally posted by Lord Slayer:

YOu can be the most open minded person, but if you get the majority of your info from 1-2 places, your info and thougths are automatically leaning that way. As H4 basically just said above me:)

I've only heard that from 1-2 sources, so I assume I'm not informed enough on the subject to be persuaded by your point.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

iScode Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 5:49:08

fox!!!

no seriously :p
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Nov 23rd 2011, 6:01:40

FT, BBC, Al Jazeera English, various financial blogs etc., Wikinews, UK and Finnish mainstream newspapers occasionally
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Jiman Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 6:24:39

Originally posted by Fooglmog:

I've only heard that from 1-2 sources, so I assume I'm not informed enough on the subject to be persuaded by your point.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

BUuuurrrnnn.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Nov 23rd 2011, 7:13:36

Alliance Talk

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

sigma Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 8:32:02

I find it hard to believe that anyone who is plugged into the internet machine gets their news from any particular source. I go to arstechnica and I find news from there that will link to other places. I go to google news and it will have thousands of different sources. I go to huffingtonpost and it will have links to many sources. I go to drudgereport and etc.

I go to this forum and I'll see links etc.

Nowadays, I don't see how people like Angel1, pang etc can possibly say they get their news from x and y. Its just simply not true. Now, it is possible that when you are looking for news those are the places you go---but just being and doing online stuff you digest the news from many different places.

TAN Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 9:27:00

FREEEEEDOM!!!

ZIP Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 11:16:44

fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

Sifos Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 13:13:35

Originally posted by Fooglmog:

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

I've only heard that from 1-2 sources, so my thoughts are automatically leaning your way. Congrats!
Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!

Trife Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 13:21:44

for news, i use cnn.com

archaic Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 13:44:21

Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Xintros Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 14:01:23

Watch/listen to the news then listen to

http://www.noagendashow.com/

Then Punch someone in the mouth!
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a killrrun" - Xintros
https://www.soundclick.com/...efault.cfm?bandID=1381300

llaar Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 15:15:41

Here's an analysis of a bunch of polls by politifact:

http://www.politifact.com/...-watch-fox-news-are-most/

detmer: you can't just make a blanket statement based on a poll of 600 people from one state of 50 in a country of 307 million people...

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Nov 23rd 2011, 15:16:52

i'm with pang. daily show.

UBer Bu Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 16:12:31

You people are all wrong.

http://www.eestats.com/
-take off every sig.

aponic Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 16:48:14

The mind television network is very good, I get it for free via my digital receiver.

http://mindtv.org/....ttml&allow_session=1
SOF
Cerevisi

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 23rd 2011, 17:49:31

One thing to keep in mind is the difference between less knowledgeable and actual misinformation. I wouldn't expect a news source to get who the president and vice-president are wrong. As the studies suggest, it's hard to ascribe pure knowledge to the news stations themselves as different viewerships may have different backgrounds (ie does one show have more informed viewers because it informs them or is it because those with knowledge choose to watch that show).

Thus making useful statements about this really depends on what questions are asked; specifically, when I think of misinformed in relation to a news station, it's not that they get the facts totally wrong (though that can happen) but rather that they "slant" or bias the news, typically in the form of opinions. As in Fox News where they say "Some people are saying..." followed by statements of dubious quality (especially in regards to what "the people" want and almost anything about "job creators").

As I said before, no source would lie about who the president is, however it's very easy to misrepresent what policies will do for the benefit (or detriment) of the people. That's why I think that the last two studies in the politifact article (llaar's link) are the most relevant, even though they are more politically charged. Unfortunately, politifact practically disregards these two, and doesn't even mention any results of the last. Some of the questions had ambiguous answers as they asked for opinion themselves, but it is still enlightening. For example, here's a list of answers given with the percentages of Fox News viewers who believe them (all of which are deemed incorrect by the Congressional Budget Office and similar government agencies):

91% believe that the stimulus legislation lost jobs.
72% believe that the health reform law will increase the deficit.
72% believe that the economy is getting worse.
60% believe that climate change is not occurring.
49% believe that income taxes have gone up.
63% believe that the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts.
56% believe that Obama initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout.
38% believe that most Republicans opposed TARP.
63% believe that Obama was not born in the US (or that it is unclear).

Fox News was not alone in this type of misinformation, but they had the highest percentages out of every other news group in the poll on every question above except for the TARP one, in which case they were second worst. This is the type of misinformation that people take with them to the polls which then directly affects the United States (in a negative way I would argue).

tl;dr

Making blanket statements are bad (I like the irony in this blanket statement): we should take the polls within their context. However, for me, misinformation is not being less knowledgeable about general facts but having a news agency purposefully misrepresent their opinions as "fact". These polls do not show any purpose or intent (that part is my opinion) but they do show that of the questions listed above, Fox News is the worst (except on one in which it is the second worst). I consider this to be misinformation and find it unsurprising but also very sad for the American people and the democratic process.

NukEvil Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 17:57:50

Faux News
Daily Fail/Wail/whatever else ends in -ail
Da Innanet
Fall Street Journal
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Mapleson Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 19:54:06

Detmer Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 20:26:00

Originally posted by Mapleson:

On a related note - I get most of my news from Xerglacia ;)

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 23rd 2011, 20:49:59

Detmer don't like you get your news from:

http://www.theonion.com/

Detmer Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 20:51:24

Originally posted by Requiem:
Detmer don't like you get your news from:

http://www.theonion.com/

Shhh... whenever I tell people that they don't take me seriously...

BobbyATA Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 21:14:10

"91% believe that the stimulus legislation lost jobs.
72% believe that the health reform law will increase the deficit.
72% believe that the economy is getting worse.
60% believe that climate change is not occurring.
49% believe that income taxes have gone up.
63% believe that the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts.
56% believe that Obama initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout.
38% believe that most Republicans opposed TARP.
63% believe that Obama was not born in the US (or that it is unclear)."

You are saying 72% are "uninformed" b/c they think the economy is getting worse. LOL. And 72% believe the health reform law will increase the deficit LOL what a loaded question. The question about tax cuts maybe I'm splitting hairs but as far as I'm aware there was only the $400 or $800 credits, which imo aren't really tax cuts. The later questions could actually be considered FACTS, not so much for the first couple...

Fox News can be pretty terrible, but its just lolable to me that people get so high and mighty about fox news. Its like the kid with a C feeling good b/c he's not the kid with an F.

FWIW, I have to 100% agree with sigma who siad its ridiculous in todays day and age if you get your news from only a handful of sources. On any given month I watch some NewsHour, MSNBC, Colbert and Stewart, Fox News and some of the Sunday morning talk. I read NYT, WaPo, WSJ. I listen to NPR almost daily. I have a subscription to the Economist, altho I'd be lying if I told you I got through more than 1/3 of their articles each week. Online I check Krugman (altho less and less frequently), Mankiw, HuffingtonPost, Jezebel. Not to mention wherever my facebook friends articles send me to.

elvesrus

Nov 23rd 2011, 21:50:53

helps to wait until the coffee kicks in before reading anything from Xerg
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

braden Game profile

Nov 24th 2011, 2:58:29

fox news the last two years, before that bullfluff bias from cnn for free. paying for news opened my eyes, thank you american conservatism.

ponderer Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 2:52:22

Washington Post
New York Times (not so much now that they charge for content)
NJ.com (Newark Star Ledger, bunch of local papers)
NorthJersey.com (Bergen Record, bunch of local papers)
Slate
Political Cartoons
Facebook
m0m0rific

izapimp Game profile

Nov 26th 2011, 0:40:38

for local news I goto the bars teehee
-maKaroni

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 26th 2011, 0:44:32