Verified:

Rockman Game profile

Nov 24th 2011, 16:29:49

Pang has mentioned the desire to make killing not the way wars are fought, but to make them more complex.

If we take away the ability to kill a country through civilians kills, by removing the minimum civ kill on GS, BR, and CM, that will achieve that goal. But we would need to them give a reason to kill someone's civilians, beyond just hurting their tax income.

To balance it out, we could increase civilian count, and make it so that each jet, turret, or tank can only be used if there is a civilian to man the unit. When those units are destroyed, the civilians would not die, though.

Destroying someone's population would then have the effect of significantly hindering their warring ability, and would still be a very useful tactic in war, but someone's country would just be crippled until they can regain their population, it wouldn't actually be completely destroyed.

Another way to do the math for the change might be to increase civilian count by 1000x, and decrease civilian networth by 1000x, decrease tax revenue by 1000x, decrease food consumption by civilians by 1000x, etc. and to make the rule that your military draft can be at most 10% of your population, so that you would need 10 civilians for each jet, turret, or tank you use.

This would also give the game more "realism" by getting rid of the odd countries with 3 million jets and 100k civilians. Other than North Korea, where would you see such a crazy ratio of military to civilians? Its not realistic.

Xinhuan Game profile

Nov 24th 2011, 16:43:51

This might be interesting. Res tech would then directly impact the ability to war: +10% res tech would mean you can war with up to 10% more units.

Rockman Game profile

Nov 24th 2011, 16:46:13

Yep, and it would also give people a reason to change their tax rate depending on their tax revenue versus military unit usage needs.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 24th 2011, 17:00:36

well if killing was taken out of the game on some or all servers

then instantly if your not casher and dont have food on hand you could ignore troops completely if you wanted to

so something to make troops useful would be a good idea

crest23 Game profile

Nov 30th 2011, 17:17:27

This is a very sound Idea. I always end my set with more tanks than I have people.
The Nigerian Nightmare.

diez Game profile

Dec 2nd 2011, 2:10:02

Interesting idea...

fasc will have to be changed a bit though... they have technically -15% max military if this change happens. Theo needs to be balanced a bit too :p

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 2nd 2011, 2:25:04

Interesting ideas

General Earl Game profile

Dec 2nd 2011, 2:36:19

I really like this idea. It's something I've brought up when speaking with people who are developing or want to develop their own game.. like Earth, but with their own spin.

When you do something like this, it really changes the dynamics of the whole game and perhaps isn't something you'd see in this version of Earth Empires, but maybe a spin-off down the road sometime.
General Earl
----
Every time I read AT: http://i.imgur.com/jeryjn8.gif
︻╦╤─✮ ┄ ┄ RatttaTaatataatat!

MrTan1

Jan 9th 2013, 5:29:51

ttt

I dont see how 5k people can use 100m jets!
iScode> thats ok mrford i know when im not welcome!! :(
* iScode cries

General Earl Game profile

Jan 9th 2013, 5:49:12

thanks for necro posting.. not being sarcastic either.. this IS a great idea
General Earl
----
Every time I read AT: http://i.imgur.com/jeryjn8.gif
︻╦╤─✮ ┄ ┄ RatttaTaatataatat!

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 12th 2013, 1:44:51

Nov 24th 2011, 16:29:49

Still no word from Pang...

*shakes head*
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 12th 2013, 6:11:14

We talked about this; It is a nifty idea, but it does completely change the balance of everything.

So it'd have to have some definite thought.
Finally did the signature thing.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 12th 2013, 15:07:15

qzjul I think it's worth the thought. This would give it some nice change and complexity to spice it up.

I'm sure rockman can donate some of his time to help you think it through all the way.