Verified:

hawkeyee Game profile

Apr 7th 2012, 4:19:32

***SPOILER WARNING*** PEOPLE WILL BE POSTING ANSWERS IN THE THREAD. DO NOT READ BEYOND THE ORIGINAL POST IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SPOIL THE PROBLEM

There are 5 houses in 5 different colors. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage.

Somebody owns a fish. The question is: who?

Hints:

The Brit lives in the red house.
The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
The Dane drinks tea.
The green house is on the left and next to the white house.
The green homeowner drinks coffee.
The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
The man living in the center house drinks milk.
The Norwegian lives in the first house.
The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
The man who keeps the horse lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
The owner who smokes Bluemaster drinks beer.
The German smokes Prince.
The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
The man who smokes Blends has a neighbor who drinks water.

***SPOILER WARNING*** PEOPLE WILL BE POSTING ANSWERS IN THE THREAD. DO NOT READ BEYOND THE ORIGINAL POST IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SPOIL THE PROBLEM

Edited By: hawkeyee on Apr 7th 2012, 5:29:06
See Original Post
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

KyleCleric Game profile

Apr 7th 2012, 5:05:31

Nice. Thanks. Do we post the answer or just message you?
This is our fluffing city. And no one is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.

Xinhuan Game profile

Apr 7th 2012, 5:07:00

The question is, what has this puzzle got to do with math?

KyleCleric Game profile

Apr 7th 2012, 5:08:17

It's a logic problem. That qualifies.
This is our fluffing city. And no one is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.

hawkeyee Game profile

Apr 7th 2012, 5:28:25

You can go ahead and post if you'd like. I edited my OP with a spoiler warning.
Minister
The Omega

hawkeyee Game profile

Apr 7th 2012, 5:30:30

Originally posted by Xinhuan:

Math is a very broad term that is too often confused with arithmetic. You don't need to be working with numbers, formulae or equations to be doing math.
Minister
The Omega

Sifos Game profile

Apr 7th 2012, 11:53:31

Solved. Good fun, thnx.
Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!

lymz Game profile

Apr 7th 2012, 21:10:54

It took a little while. Half way through the clues I had to merge some together in order to fit :-)

The answer to your question is: the German has fish.

The full puzzles is solved to:
1st house; yellow, Norwegian, water, Dunhill, cats
2nd house; blue, Dane, tea, Blends, horse
3rd (mid) house; red, Brit, milk, Pall Mall, birds
4th house; green, German, coffee, Prince, fish
5th house; white, Swede, beer, Bluemaster, dogs.

just4thebonuspts Game profile

Apr 8th 2012, 8:17:22

This is a simple yet well thought out puzzle; if you do it right it does not involve any trial and error.

Solution:

The Norwegian lives in the first house.
The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
The Brit lives in the red house.
The green house is on the left and next to the white house.
The green homeowner drinks coffee.
The man living in the center house drinks milk.
The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
The man who keeps the horse lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.

The Norwegian lives in the first house, so the Blue house definitely comes second. Since the Green house has to be on the left of the White house, and the man living in the center house drinks milk, the Green house has to be the fourth house as the homeowner drinks coffee. Since the Brit lives in the Red house, it has to be the third one as the Norwegian is already in the first. Being the first house (Yellow), the Norwegian who smokes Dunhill has only one neighbor, and he is the one keeping the horse.

Information:
Yellow-Norwegian-Dunhill
Blue-Horse
Red-Brit-Milk
Green-Coffee
White

The rest is simple deduction. The colors in the brackets are the possible houses the hint can be associated with given what we know so far:

The owner who smokes Bluemaster drinks beer. (Blue, White)
The Swede keeps dogs as pets. (Green, White)
The Dane drinks tea. (Blue, White)
The German smokes Prince. (Blue, Green, White)
The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds. (Red, Green, White)

The owner who smokes Bluemaster has to be the Swede, since we know the Dane and Brit do not drink beer, and the German and Norwegian are already smoking something else. Therefore, he is the owner of the White house. The Dane can only be from the Blue house now, leaving the German with the Green house. The person who smokes Pall Mall is the Brit, since the German smokes Prince and the Swede smokes Bluemaster.

Information:
Yellow-Norwegian-Dunhill
Blue-Dane-Horse-Tea
Red-Brit-Birds-Milk-Pall Mall
Green-German-Coffee-Prince
White-Swede-Dog-Beer-Bluemaster

The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
The man who smokes Blends has a neighbor who drinks water.

The Dane smokes Blends. Therefore the cat lover and water sipper has to be the Norwegian, and we can conclude that the owner of the fish is the German.

locket Game profile

Apr 8th 2012, 10:02:32

Lymz summarized it much faster :P

lymz Game profile

Apr 9th 2012, 6:51:01

Hehehe, it's not a race. just4thebonuspts posted the thought process. I basically did the same thing. I had to merge "The owner who smokes Bluemaster drinks beer." and "The Swede keeps dogs as pets." by process of elimination. Everything else fit into place after that.

It's good to see someone came up with the same answer; double check my work, and that there's only 1 solution :-)

MissyV Game profile

Apr 9th 2012, 7:47:14

ack, my brain x.x

locket Game profile

Apr 9th 2012, 8:14:32

Originally posted by lymz:
Hehehe, it's not a race. just4thebonuspts posted the thought process. I basically did the same thing. I had to merge "The owner who smokes Bluemaster drinks beer." and "The Swede keeps dogs as pets." by process of elimination. Everything else fit into place after that.

It's good to see someone came up with the same answer; double check my work, and that there's only 1 solution :-)

I meant that his took up 50 lines and yours 5 :P

hawkeyee Game profile

Apr 9th 2012, 15:47:55

Yeah. It was fun. I got it from another teacher's blog. I enjoyed it. I'm a very visual person... I like to see the whole problem at once, so what I did was write each of the 25 colours/pets/smokes/drinks/nationalities on small strips of paper and had 5 larger pieces of paper representing the houses. I paired together all of the ones that I knew had to be together, and then I started placing items on the houses as I knew where they needed to go, starting with milk in the middle. The thing that took me a few tries to figure out was that Norwegian being first didn't necessarily mean he had to be on the far left. Once I put him on the far right, everything else fit into place quite nicely.
Minister
The Omega

chem20 Game profile

Apr 9th 2012, 15:56:14

I hat mathN

hanlong Game profile

Apr 9th 2012, 16:00:47

hmmmm
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

Xinhuan Game profile

Apr 9th 2012, 16:57:33

Originally posted by hawkeyee:
Originally posted by Xinhuan:

Math is a very broad term that is too often confused with arithmetic. You don't need to be working with numbers, formulae or equations to be doing math.

Fair reply. Good puzzle.

Nuketon Game profile

Apr 9th 2012, 17:04:35

Zeeee German haz ze fish.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 9th 2012, 21:04:13

@hawkeye: I used to do lots of those logic puzzles as a kid. Later in life I learned about something called "recursion" which lets you solve it using a computer.
You know that sudoku is essentially that type of puzzle with numbers rather than works?:P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 9th 2012, 21:05:52

I remember making those little logic grids to solve them as well:p
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

lymz Game profile

Apr 10th 2012, 7:00:38

Originally posted by hawkeyee:
Yeah. It was fun. I got it from another teacher's blog. I enjoyed it. I'm a very visual person... I like to see the whole problem at once, so what I did was write each of the 25 colours/pets/smokes/drinks/nationalities on small strips of paper and had 5 larger pieces of paper representing the houses. I paired together all of the ones that I knew had to be together, and then I started placing items on the houses as I knew where they needed to go, starting with milk in the middle. The thing that took me a few tries to figure out was that Norwegian being first didn't necessarily mean he had to be on the far left. Once I put him on the far right, everything else fit into place quite nicely.

I did the same thing, only in a spreadsheet, hahaha!

Originally posted by martian:
@hawkeye: I used to do lots of those logic puzzles as a kid. Later in life I learned about something called "recursion" which lets you solve it using a computer.
You know that sudoku is essentially that type of puzzle with numbers rather than works?:P

Yup, pretty much a 5x5 sudoku. I have a "puzzle" calendar at my desk, quite often I get logic ones, and I'll use my deductive reasoning skills (sharpened by sudoku) to solve them.