Verified:

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jul 19th 2012, 17:41:41

With the current drought one must ask this question..
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jul 19th 2012, 17:42:08

ps, this question should be extended to the EU as well..
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Jul 19th 2012, 17:51:54

the southeast US has managed the last 10-15 years :P
i think the big problem the midwest is facing is that they're not accustomed to needing to irrigate

thefloyd Game profile

Jul 19th 2012, 17:55:19

Our government will give them $ for their failed crop.

RickyBobby Game profile

Jul 19th 2012, 18:44:36

crop insurance comes from insurance companies not the government :P

incin22 Game profile

Jul 19th 2012, 19:26:01

They're pulling water (and have been) from giant aquifers, which are at something like 20% of the capacity they were 50 years ago and took millions of years to fill. No politician will tell you that because it will mean political suicide because they can't fix it.

Thats how they're surviving now, but won't be for long

Edited By: incin22 on Jul 19th 2012, 19:30:35
See Original Post

thefloyd Game profile

Jul 19th 2012, 21:46:09

I know plenty of farmers that have filed paper work with the fed government in order to get some type of funding for their lost crop.

Anonymous

Jul 19th 2012, 21:53:45

I have never seen a thread fuller of fluff unless Dagga was somehow involved.

Just glad Azz and RickyBobby still have a grip on reality.

Atryn Game profile

Jul 20th 2012, 0:33:30

We could build a huge infrastructure of pipelines from the glaciers in Canada.

Lobo Game profile

Jul 20th 2012, 1:31:56

meanwhile corn and bean stocks are on the rise invest while you can on the upswing. ....got accused of not knowing this today...geeze I am so misunderstood.
BTW... IL used to have irrigation ditches. With climate changes they stopped using them or needing them. The last drought that lasted for a few years the farmers again put to use irrigation ditches. Not all the corn has done all the badly. Will have to see what the future brings.Closer to the rivers where the soil has more sand they still use them and sprinkler/irrigation systems.
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack
The only real progress lies in learning to be wrong all alone. ~Albert Camus

Original SANCT...

ninong Game profile

Jul 20th 2012, 3:47:46

hrmmm..since US is a demo it should max out its agri tech and spend its bonus points on food booms to compensate.
ninong, formerly Johnny Demonic
IX

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Jul 20th 2012, 6:30:02

The rest of the US is pretty pissed off at my garden that is growing like crazy and mass producing. They all suck.

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 20th 2012, 11:37:33

Originally posted by thefloyd:
Our government will give them $ for their failed crop.

Crop insurance will only cover their expenses for loss due to drought. It will not pay them for any profits so it's not quite as good as you may think. Unless there is some other type of program I am not aware of.

Originally posted by RickyBobby:
crop insurance comes from insurance companies not the government :P

Some is private insurance but a great amount of it is insured through a government sponsored insurance program.

-------------

It's really not good for any of us. The midwest grows a lot of our corn so corn prices are likely to go up because of this and then you have the trickle down effect. A lot of our food products will increase in price, esp meat.

Buch Game profile

Jul 20th 2012, 13:29:49

Actually beef is down at the moment farmers dumped ALOT of cattle due to corn hitting $8 a bushel but as soon as that's used up ur gonna see very very high cattle prices like $150 or better a hundred (guessing).. and I think insurance will pay them enuff to have profit..... but if u ever talk to a farmer they never make a profit:)

Oh and as for investing in grain I would be careful prices are the highest they have ever been and one good rain you will lose a.couple dollars per bushel fast

Edited By: Buch on Jul 20th 2012, 13:35:10
See Original Post

RavenBF Game profile

Jul 20th 2012, 14:23:21

ummmm, a close friend of mine is owner of Embers Steakhouse here in Amarillo, TX and i promise you beef is not down.
Minty
adj: Describing someone as British and homo-sexual.
mint minte mintt gay british person kj
by Master ZEN Aug 28, 2012

Buch Game profile

Jul 20th 2012, 14:56:09

Haha I work with farmers all day I know it is it my job lol I meant the farmers end at the sale barns its prolly not on the consumer end

Buch Game profile

Jul 20th 2012, 15:25:16

Oh and I asked for insurance for drought loss they get paid 80 percent of their yield at 6.04 for corn they pay same percentage for beans didn't ask price on them but prolly around 12

RavenBF Game profile

Jul 20th 2012, 15:39:56

consumer end i know the price of beef has gone up like a dollar a pound in the last 6 weeks, although im thinking it has more to do with increase demand cuz of 4th of july, but honestly i dont look for price of beef to drop on the consumer end until we have 2 years of good rain........

As far as the insurance thing, unfortunatly with people trying to file claims with multiple companies to gain profit, there are now laws in place that put that 80% cap on.......i know this because I am a licenced insurance agent. Has nothing to do with the company but with the laws put in place to prevent insurance fruad. You know what they say about a few bad apples.
Minty
adj: Describing someone as British and homo-sexual.
mint minte mintt gay british person kj
by Master ZEN Aug 28, 2012

Buch Game profile

Jul 20th 2012, 15:57:25

Ya that's what a farmer told me I never knew much about the insurance so I asked and even getting 80 percent they will be fine especially if they have some grain they are selling now we are busy with prices at 7.70 corn and 17.30 for beans that's good money for them and will be a really bad thing for consumer food

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jul 20th 2012, 16:31:21

I don't know from state to state but I know that at least in some states the insurance is run as a state pool.. weather that is government subsidized or not depends on the implementation..
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

PinkyAndTheBrain

Jul 20th 2012, 20:51:06

*giggles* martian said "weather". Narf!
What are we going to do tonight Brain?
Same Thing As Always Pinky.
Attempt To Take Over The World,
And Fail Miserably...

Dibs Ludicrous was here. dowt!

oh noes. not another IP ban.

Lobo Game profile

Jul 20th 2012, 21:39:52

I wish we had LIKE buttons on here. A lot of good points :P
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack
The only real progress lies in learning to be wrong all alone. ~Albert Camus

Original SANCT...

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 20th 2012, 21:54:23

Originally posted by Buch:
Ya that's what a farmer told me I never knew much about the insurance so I asked and even getting 80 percent they will be fine especially if they have some grain they are selling now we are busy with prices at 7.70 corn and 17.30 for beans that's good money for them and will be a really bad thing for consumer food

Awesome 80% is better than nothing! Still doesn't help our food prices when there is a shortage :p

Originally posted by martian:
I don't know from state to state but I know that at least in some states the insurance is run as a state pool.. weather that is government subsidized or not depends on the implementation..

Its a government backed insurance. The USDA allow certain insurers (private companies) to administer the crop insurance for them. Whichever insurance company it is they are only acting on behalf of the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation. There are many similar things like flood insurance, and in Texas and maybe even some other areas, wind insurance near the hurricane areas.

Wharfed

Jul 21st 2012, 0:16:43

If everyone stopped fluffing caring about their god damned lawn, it wouldn't be a fluffing issue.
>Wharfed

ABOYNE (vb.) To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly bad that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

PapaSmurf Game profile

Jul 21st 2012, 15:38:11

All I have to say, I'm glad I'm not in the landscape business. Between our winter last year, where plow service were needed only twice, and now this summer. Most yards haven't been mowed in 6 weeks or so.

Angel1 Game profile

Jul 21st 2012, 17:45:39

Wharfed is right, if you're so concerned about your lawn and it continuously doesn't get enough water, then I suggest grass that needs very little water and more rocks in your landscaping. If you live in the desert, go with a desert landscape.
-Angel1

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 21st 2012, 18:23:26

- water = less food = higher food cost = more chaos
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Nuketon Game profile

Jul 21st 2012, 18:30:55

no drought here in the northeast :)

major Game profile

Jul 21st 2012, 20:12:56

drought has all but killed the farmers here in TN.. rough times, corn not even coming to the stalks...

hard times are coming, expect a significant rise in food prices, and also gasoline.. because hard corn for ethynl, will also be at a minimum

Purposeful1 Game profile

Jul 22nd 2012, 10:29:18

We Californians just need to work on breaking ourselves off from the rest of the United States. To hang with Hawaii.

Alaska can come too.
Purposeful1

lostmonk Game profile

Jul 22nd 2012, 11:11:51

Originally posted by Purposeful1:
We Californians just need to work on breaking ourselves off from the rest of the United States. To hang with Hawaii.

Alaska can come too.

KIf only we could be so lucky! Just make sure to take the Scientologists with you!
Done.

Riddler Game profile

Jul 22nd 2012, 11:58:45

Originally posted by Anonymous:
I have never seen a thread fuller of fluff unless Dagga was somehow involved.

Just glad Azz and RickyBobby still have a grip on reality.

didnt you know that the government owns the insurace companies?? lol

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jul 23rd 2012, 14:35:51

lol.. my current and previous employers were definitely not owned by any government.
Various state/US federal/Canadian Provincial/Federal governments do own insurance companies of a sort for a variety of reasons though.

When I get a house, the front yard will be a rock garden w trees, the back will be a garden w dirt. I hate mowing lawns and this is my way to not do it (or possibly inflict it on my kids should I ever have any)
:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Jul 23rd 2012, 15:47:25

Originally posted by lostmonk:
Originally posted by Purposeful1:

Alaska can come too.

KIf only we could be so lucky! Just make sure to take the Scientologists with you!
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com