Verified:

slip Game profile

Dec 30th 2012, 22:00:55

Old pata hdd. The HDD still powers on and spins. There's no clicking noise. The computer recognizes the HDD, it just wont mount. This is in both OSX and windows. Im hoping it's not a physical issue since there's no odd noises. Any nifty software programs that someone could recommend? Is the software route a dead end if the HDD isn't mounting? I'm a data recovery nub and would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

On a side note, a lot of my old earth stuff that's on this HDD I'm pretty sure I gave to Bug at some point. I've lost my old messengers, so, if anyone still keeps in touch with him, please show him this. Thanks.

Double side note! I forgot my boxcar password again.. i thought we just named is slip so this fluff would stop happening :(

Edited By: slip on Dec 30th 2012, 23:16:17. Reason: double side note
See Original Post

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 30th 2012, 22:38:47

tilt the entire machine to one side 20-40 degrees and then try start it up again - if it starts up, it will not last long before KIA, so get your info off - IF - it starts up that is

hope it works for you mate - its worked for me a couple of times
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

Marshal Game profile

Dec 30th 2012, 22:43:31

take hdd out of box and attach it directly to comp (if possible, otherwise you need adapter) and run chkdsk/r on it and after that try to get access on it, if don't get access then you could try under linux (live-dvd) to see if it can access to that hdd, if not then it gets complicated (no software help since no access), there are some options but all those are either expensive (data restoring company) or difficultish (replace bottom of hdd with working hdd's bottom and try to get datas off from there).
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 30th 2012, 22:54:54

I like Seagate.

NightShade

Dec 30th 2012, 23:22:10

Look up EASEUS Data Recovery... worked for my 500GB
SOTA • GNV
SOTA President
http://sota.ghqnet.com

a.k.a. Stryke
Originally posted by Bsnake:
I was sitting there wondering how many I could kill with one set of chopsticks

Mini Game profile

Dec 31st 2012, 0:06:20

Can try the freezer trick, Wrap it appropriatley - throw it in the freeze for 12ish hours boot it up get your stuff off it and then get your fluff off it and throw it away!

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

Dec 31st 2012, 0:13:38

plug into a different usb port. could try mounting while in a linux livecd too.
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

NightShade

Dec 31st 2012, 1:09:26

Unlike Requiem, I like Western Digital, I haven't had any issues with one of their drives yet.
SOTA • GNV
SOTA President
http://sota.ghqnet.com

a.k.a. Stryke
Originally posted by Bsnake:
I was sitting there wondering how many I could kill with one set of chopsticks

Xinhuan Game profile

Dec 31st 2012, 1:32:03

Originally posted by Mini:
Can try the freezer trick, Wrap it appropriatley - throw it in the freeze for 12ish hours boot it up get your stuff off it and then get your fluff off it and throw it away!

This. But make sure you ziplock it in properly, in an air-tight container so that when you take it out from the freezer, water condensation doesn't immediately kill its internals (otherwise it can make it worse). Applicable to humid countries.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 31st 2012, 2:08:14

Nightshade is absolutely correct, Western Digital is the bomb. I have never had a Western Digital drive fail.

I wouldn't recommend the old ice box trick myself. Demounting the drive from the external box and attempting a direct connection is probably your best bet. If you can get it to spin up and initialize that way, there's a better opportunity to gain at least hardware access to the drive. If you can do that using either the OS or a specialty software package, typically available from the manufacturer, you might be able to fix the boot record and mount the drive that's there.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

mrford Game profile

Dec 31st 2012, 2:24:15

I MISS YOU SO MUCH IT HURTS SLIP
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford