Verified:

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 6th 2013, 17:03:45

That's a serious question to my American friends!

As an outsider (and somewhat of a centerist -- very socially liberal, but more fiscally conservative), I pesonally feel that Fox News is more radical in terms of their content and values. That being said, if I were an American, I certainly wouldn't get my news from Al Jazera even though it's run by a key player in a country that is a key strategic ally in the region.

Same reason I don't get my Canadian news from any US-focused media outlets -- their focus is not on Canada and they just don't understand being Canadian. I expect a lot of folks from the US feel the same way, but I have nothing to back that up.

What's your take on that whole thing?
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 6th 2013, 17:16:37

i didnt think aljazeera america existed yet, just heard it bought current tv then cable providers started dropping it asap

i dont follow al jazeera english but it has a pretty good rep for hiring quality people so id expect at least some shows to be good

part of it is they have money and want to buy credibility when most everyone else is having problems so some good people would go there for a steady paychech

Cougar Game profile

Jan 6th 2013, 17:42:07

I would love to have the option to watch Al-Jazeera...

Fox does not even pretend to have any journalistic credibility anymore, while Al-Jazeera has many many contacts in the biggest news hotspot in the world.

braden Game profile

Jan 6th 2013, 17:51:25

chris wallace has as much journalistic credibility as anybody else i can think of. while i'm here, brit hume, too. charles krauthammer i can't imagine is lacking in credibility, either.

sean hannity? you might win that argument, though.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 6th 2013, 17:51:34

Al-Jazeera is really good, one of my top general interest news sources. Obviously I wouldn't use them as my main source on for instance Qatar's human rights record (even though they have had a few critical articles lately) but they have quality global coverage.

I'm just talkinga bout the online version btw, watching TV news is one of the stupidest things you can do in terms of getting informed.
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Magellaan Game profile

Jan 6th 2013, 17:52:41

Hmm, Im not american but ive had both channels on cable before I downgraded (dont watch much tv).

Al Jazeera was obviously the more serious channel. They do a pretty good job I think. It was really interesting to watch the news from a more arabic perspective.

Fox on the other hand, there's nothing remotely serious about it. It's just infotainment.

It's not even a comparison in my opinion.
Not MD, fake Magellaan.

GreenMan Game profile

Jan 6th 2013, 18:36:19

Originally posted by Magellaan:
Hmm, Im not american but ive had both channels on cable before I downgraded (dont watch much tv).

Al Jazeera was obviously the more serious channel. They do a pretty good job I think. It was really interesting to watch the news from a more arabic perspective.

Fox on the other hand, there's nothing remotely serious about it. It's just infotainment.

It's not even a comparison in my opinion.

I agree. With one vital disclaimer is that Al Jazeera will never report anything critical of Qatar. Ever.

locket Game profile

Jan 6th 2013, 19:36:47

I have seen Al Jazera be very fair in many situations.. havnt paid a ton of attention to it all though...

Detmer Game profile

Jan 6th 2013, 21:02:22

Fox News is the most radical "news" source I am aware of. I find Al Jazeera is super non-radical. Aside from local news, the only news I check is Al Jazeera and BBC.

Rockman Game profile

Jan 6th 2013, 21:24:32

As an American, I do use Al Jazeera for news. My two main sites I use for news are BBC News and the Christian Science Monitor, but Al Jazeera comes in third.

Klown Game profile

Jan 6th 2013, 21:34:26

The reason that Fox News is so right-wing is because it focuses on the stories that other outlets will not cover due to their liberal bias. These stories are obviously stories that hurt the left wing and help the right wing; however no one else is covering them. This shifts Fox right. Other outlets are just as much at fault for not covering them. Combine Fox with other media and you get a somewhat comprehensive picture.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 6th 2013, 21:40:16

Tbf the BBC is overrated, there's not much depth in any of their articles. The UK's serious newspapers are much better, a good mix of The Guardian and The Independent. The Financial Times trumps both though but is paywalled (go to a uni that pays for access :D)

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

archaic Game profile

Jan 6th 2013, 22:53:50

Originally posted by Klown:
The reason that Fox News is so right-wing is because it focuses on the stories that other outlets will not cover due to their liberal bias. These stories are obviously stories that hurt the left wing and help the right wing; however no one else is covering them. This shifts Fox right. Other outlets are just as much at fault for not covering them. Combine Fox with other media and you get a somewhat comprehensive picture.

Ah yes Klown, the 'liberal media' owned by Disney and GE. Hows the kool-aid bro?
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Klown Game profile

Jan 6th 2013, 23:34:23

Its alright. How's living in denial?

Magellaan Game profile

Jan 7th 2013, 0:38:11

Reality has a well-known liberal bias Klown :)
Not MD, fake Magellaan.

Monex Game profile

Jan 7th 2013, 1:03:48

I find it very interesting how all your non radial news sources left this out of their reports.

http://americanlivewire.com/...oncealed-weapons-carrier/

The sheeple do not need to know all the details only the ones that further their agenda to strip our freedoms away.

Edited By: Monex on Jan 7th 2013, 1:07:13
See Original Post
[url=https://www.torn.com/1994581]Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG[/url]

Monex Game profile

Jan 7th 2013, 1:04:19

Originally posted by Monex:
Tried to edit
[url=https://www.torn.com/1994581]Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG[/url]

CKHustler

Jan 7th 2013, 1:18:16

I'm pretty sure Pang is just trolling with this question or he would call into question all of our news outlets. I find MSNBC far more biased than any news outlet I've ever watched. CNN is pretty biased to the left as well. Going newspapers, NYT is almost a tabloid it is so far left.

Had Pang actually brought up the entire conversation, I would think he was serious, but as it is, he was trolling.

snawdog Game profile

Jan 7th 2013, 1:26:24

Al Jazzy can blow my nuts,,tl:aint gunna read..
fluff'em
ICQ 364553524
msn

Rockman Game profile

Jan 7th 2013, 2:56:01

Originally posted by snawdog:
fluff'em

Al Jazeera is better than Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, New York Times, etc.

Unsympathetic Game profile

Jan 7th 2013, 3:18:41

Al Jazeera just bought Current TV.. and is going to switch their format to more international news instead of the investigative reporting Current did. The best of the hosts there is Cenk Uyger. I'm curious to see what types of shows will be on that channel, but Al Jazeera is much more even-handed, factually rigorous, and journalistically bold than nearly all American media is willing to publish in the pro-0.1% climate of America.

You will get a much more realistic picture of the world by ignoring everything spewing out of the fetid swamp labelled Fox News.

NYT is not liberal at all - they're neoliberal. There's a very big difference, and quite seriously everyone who thinks otherwise in this thread is dangerously ignorant. The only "liberal" at the NYT is Krugman.

MSNBC is "slanted liberal" only in the sense that they bother to base stories on fact. Since conservatism in America is simply lying about everything all the time.. of course people who only deal in reality are "slanted liberal."

Edited By: Unsympathetic on Jan 7th 2013, 3:28:22
See Original Post

andrewmmuller Game profile

Jan 7th 2013, 3:45:34

I get my news from a variety of sources so that i can get a variety of opinions and can make my own informed decisions. I watched BBC for US election coverage. lol

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 7th 2013, 7:38:40

I still have a great deal of respect for CBS News operation, they seem to focus more on the actual events rather than any political take on it still.

CNN and MSNBC are just way too far to the left to be beleiveable anymore. FoxNews is rigtt off the schedule of where I get my news. BBC is still decent, haven't checked out Al Jazeera yet. So, I don't have an opinion of them.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

iNouda Game profile

Jan 7th 2013, 7:41:55

I'm not from the US but I read a lot of the New York Times whenever I'm bored. I don't really watch the news so much as read about it... I can't remember the last time I watched TV. Aside from both sides of the local Malaysian media [Malaysiakini (pro-PR) and New Straits Times/The Star (Pro-BN)] my other news sources are the BBC and Al Jazeera.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 7th 2013, 7:58:57

I still have a great deal of respect for CBS News operation, they seem to focus more on the actual events rather than any political take on it still.

CNN and MSNBC are just way too far to the left to be beleiveable anymore. FoxNews is rigtt off the schedule of where I get my news. BBC is still decent, haven't checked out Al Jazeera yet. So, I don't have an opinion of them.
CNN and MSNBC are too far to the left so you go with the BBC? lol. I know the BBC doesn't have much of an editorial voice, but most bias in the big American media stations is to the right..

locket Game profile

Jan 7th 2013, 8:03:52

Originally posted by Klown:

Do you just troll or do you believe the stuff you say?

blid

EE Patron

Jan 8th 2013, 3:07:34

Originally posted by CKHustler:
I'm pretty sure Pang is just trolling with this question or he would call into question all of our news outlets. I find MSNBC far more biased than any news outlet I've ever watched. CNN is pretty biased to the left as well. Going newspapers, NYT is almost a tabloid it is so far left.

Had Pang actually brought up the entire conversation, I would think he was serious, but as it is, he was trolling.
lol jesus christ
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

CKHustler

Jan 8th 2013, 3:10:14

Originally posted by blid:
Originally posted by CKHustler:

lol jesus christ

Have an opinion?

blid

EE Patron

Jan 8th 2013, 3:10:49

NYT isn't really left at all but I know they have that reputation. What really baffles me is anyone describing CNN as "liberal" or "left." haha like seirously what the fluff. it's just the most boring milquetoast bullfluff ever, they just do fluff like have a dmeocratic spokesman and a republican spokesman on to each give their own retarded spin, how is that biased in any direction besides toward the two major parties? don't even bother replying if you disagree with me cos you're not worth talking to if so.
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

GreenMan Game profile

Jan 8th 2013, 3:15:13

NYT isn't really left at all but I know they have that reputation. What really baffles me is anyone describing CNN as "liberal" or "left." haha like seirously what the fluff. it's just the most boring milquetoast bullfluff ever, they just do fluff like have a dmeocratic spokesman and a republican spokesman on to each give their own retarded spin, how is that biased in any direction besides toward the two major parties? don't even bother replying if you disagree with me cos you're not worth talking to if so.

I agree. CNN isn't real news. They simply report what each side says in an attempt to be fair, and never question the statements... that is not journalism or reporting.

Is an imporvement to Fox which is just a repub. mouth piece or MSNBC which is left wing?

I see MSNBC being slightly more critical of their own side (see Chris Matthews takedown of Obama after the first debate) vs. Fox's inability to accept reality (see Karl Rove's election day breakdown.) Either way, to call CNN left wing is pretty silly and non-factual.

blid

EE Patron

Jan 8th 2013, 3:19:09

Fox News is cool because they just don't give a crap. Right now this story is coming up on news.google.com:

We're now one step closer to America's coming civil war
By Arthur Herman
Published January 03, 2013
FoxNews.com

I also love the articles transparently framed to just fire up their base, like this one:

http://i.imgur.com/J0dI6.png

locket Game profile

Jan 8th 2013, 3:24:04

Fox News is cool because they just don't give a crap. Right now this story is coming up on news.google.com:

We're now one step closer to America's coming civil war
By Arthur Herman
Published January 03, 2013
FoxNews.com

I also love the articles transparently framed to just fire up their base, like this one:

http://i.imgur.com/J0dI6.png

Americans believe that they will have another civil war too? jesus fluff people are ignorant. What a fluffed up country -_-

Quebec and Canada have lots of disagreements but I have never once heard any thoughts of a war going on or anything like that -_-

braden Game profile

Jan 8th 2013, 4:09:28

a second civil war, this one actually to end racism, not just talk about ending racism.

Klown Game profile

Jan 8th 2013, 12:48:54

In all seriousness you need only look at the fiscal cliff negotiations to see just how biased the media is. The way the media portrayed Boehner and the Republicans compared to Obama is nearly criminal.

TAN Game profile

Jan 8th 2013, 14:44:23

Originally posted by snawdog:
fluff'em

I work at Al Jazeera. Uh oh! Remove foot from mouth...
FREEEEEDOM!!!

elvesrus

Jan 8th 2013, 14:51:57

so if I quote al jazeera in a paper and get told its wrong I can blame TAN? ;)
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

CKHustler

Jan 9th 2013, 2:58:59

I guess someone who disagrees with you is...not allowed?

It's not always about what side their analysts fall on, but what stories they cover and from what angle. I see lots of stories from all news networks where they have analysts from both sides, yet they cover the story completely different and ask radically different questions about the situation. When you start thinking critically, you can get back to me. *rolls eyes*

blid

EE Patron

Jan 9th 2013, 4:23:49

it's allowed, it just means you're too stupid to try to engage with. criminally dumb

Dissidenticn

Jan 9th 2013, 6:38:20

i get all of my american news from jon stewart because i know what he is... a comedian. He's not meant to take it too seriously and will present the important stuff with humour. The problem with news channels now is... well exactly that... there are channels that do ONLY news. I remember when CNN was the only network doing that... now FoxNews has it too. Nate Silver said it best I believe (here he's referring to the Daily Show): "People criticize this show maybe and say, ‘Oh, it’s entertainment masquerading as news,’ but a lot of NEWS is really entertainment masquerading as news. …"

that goshdarned right.