Verified:

Trife Game profile

Mar 10th 2014, 16:37:01

I thought it was awesome. While NDT doesn't have quite as soothing voice as Sagan, he still does a wonderful job presenting science in a way the average person can understand.

Of course, the episode was alot prettier because cameras/satellites/CGI have come a long way in the last 30 years. The first episode was pretty identical to the first episode from 30 years ago, but I'm okay with that because it's a good introductory way to get people into the series. Hopefully they'll deviate a little from the episodes in the previous series.

What did you guys think of it?

Also, if you didn't see it, you can view the full episode here:

http://www.youtube.com/...feature=youtu.be&t=1s

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Mar 10th 2014, 16:40:44

overall not bad. i'm intrigued to see it continue.

my brain is a little broken by a pro-science program on Fox with an intro from obama though.

braden Game profile

Mar 10th 2014, 16:44:25

gonna watch it this afternoon, trife.

i read sagans cosmos when i was like fourteen. i didn't understand/couldn't comprehend just so much of it at the time. this looks very good, though.

Ruthie

Mar 10th 2014, 17:01:21

fluff, i forgot this was on last night

~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 10th 2014, 18:41:01

I Loved this program, and it looks to be JUST as good as the original, the production values are fantastic, the writing is very good. I did notice that one the producers and director was Brannon Braga, of Star Trek fame, I'm sure that he had a hand in the visualizations used in the production and they were very good.

Neil Tyson did a good job of narrating the show, I liked his presentation style as much as I did Carl Sagan's.

I'm excited to see next weeks episode.

ps. The writer stole a line from Babylon 5's writers that was used by that alien chick that whatshisface was all in love with.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

tulosba Game profile

Mar 10th 2014, 18:45:38

is the music as good?

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 10th 2014, 18:51:25

I don't know, tulosba, I wasn't paying attention to the music, I was just listening to the narration and watching the screen mostly. The music, if any, was in the background and didn't impinge, or interfere with the narration of the show, and did not attract attention to itself. It would have taken a conscious effort to specifically listen to it.

Makolyte Game profile

Mar 10th 2014, 20:27:37

It's funny that Seth Macfarlane produced this. All I can think about is "Cosmos edited for rednecks"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI9ImScQGAo

Im looking forward to watching this new Cosmos, woohoo
--------------------------------------------
Alliance: VP of Death Knights
FFA: XI warrior
--------------------------------------------

BrainWave Game profile

Mar 10th 2014, 21:02:09

horrible host, good CGI and "facts"/theories they have dug up.

but yeah, change the host and it will be brilliant

Marshal Game profile

Mar 10th 2014, 21:07:22

it'll start here ~soon, might look it.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

mrford Game profile

Mar 10th 2014, 21:45:20

If there isn't a game on, and im watching TV, it is generally Military Channel (Just changed names to "American Heros Channel a few days ago, weird), Science Channel, National Geographic, or Smithsonian Channel. Discovery Channel and History Channel are now just a lot of reality TV shows with historical facts thrown in. I wish they had never gone that way. They are kinda like MTV in that regard, but that is besides the point.

Having said that I DVRed this program and will be watching it tonight, but i've heard nothing but good things.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

MilitantOrgy Game profile

Mar 10th 2014, 21:57:00

I thoroughly enjoyed it

Trife Game profile

Mar 10th 2014, 22:25:34

Originally posted by BrainWave:

Curious, what issues do you have with the host?

I have heard from a few friends that have mentioned they felt the manner that NDT was speaking made it seem like he was dumbing things down far too much.

andrewmmuller Game profile

Mar 10th 2014, 22:52:37

haven't watched it yet, but i usually find NDT to be a very effective speaker

BrainWave Game profile

Mar 11th 2014, 8:09:26

Originally posted by Trife:
Originally posted by BrainWave:

Curious, what issues do you have with the host?

I have heard from a few friends that have mentioned they felt the manner that NDT was speaking made it seem like he was dumbing things down far too much.

the dumbing down part i can understand since it is a kids show (start teens is what its aimed for i guess).
But NGT's voice doesnt fit in, and since far the most is without him in the shot and just him talking it ruins the show, imo.
also he is totally overrated as a public scientist being wrong quite often and saying things on twitter and youtube and whereever he is trying to be cool, or something, and it just turns out to be bullfluff if you spend more then 0.8 sec analyzing it.

Carl was special in that show, i didnt get the same vibe.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 11th 2014, 8:16:13

As for NDT's veracity of facts, it's not him personally, he's reading from a script produced by a writer, who should have checked HIS facts, right?

I have no issues with the host, in fact, it could have been anyone who doesn't have a speech impediment as far as i am concerned. The main reason to watch the show is to hopefully learn something.

My God, it's snowing in hell. I'm forced to admit that fordy has something right there. I hate the extended reality show bullfluff that the History Channel and such have become. It pisses me off to no end when they put that stupid Pawn Stars show on. I don't give a rats ass what some down and out gambler who has lost his stake has to sell to get home with.

Stupid fluff abounds on that show. Most of the crap is worthless anyway.

BILL_DANGER Game profile

Mar 11th 2014, 12:39:38

Originally posted by Trife:

Also, if you didn't see it, you can view the full episode here:

http://www.youtube.com/...feature=youtu.be&t=1s

That link is dead, but you can watch it at http://www.fox.com/watch/183733315515

BILL_DANGER Game profile

Mar 11th 2014, 12:47:05

ALSO, I WANT A SPACESHIP.

UltraMarines Game profile

Mar 11th 2014, 14:12:15

I thought it was pretty good. The first episode was basically "This is how the Church kicked science in the balls for a few hundred years" lol. People were burned for the knowledge, and its only been for a couple of hundred years now that people have actually been allowed to think and talk about these things freely. Makes you wonder if we would be further along possibly if we would of had the chance? Putting 13.8 billion years into one calendar year was a little odd, but just reminds us we are so small and new in the grand scheme of it all.

Hoping they get more into space in the next episode.

blid

EE Patron

Mar 11th 2014, 14:58:07

it seemed liek gay fluff for nerds, to me
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

Colonel Chaos Game profile

Mar 11th 2014, 15:46:13

Sounds like someone is a creationist?
Colonel Chaos
SOL FR Commander

irc.scourge.se -> #solfr
--------------------
“Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy.”
― Isaac Newton

blid

EE Patron

Mar 11th 2014, 15:46:41

nah just a jock *gives u a wedgie*
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

Colonel Chaos Game profile

Mar 11th 2014, 17:08:45

I at least have a little respect for jocks...
Colonel Chaos
SOL FR Commander

irc.scourge.se -> #solfr
--------------------
“Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy.”
― Isaac Newton

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 11th 2014, 17:12:31

Originally posted by blid:
it seemed liek gay fluff for nerds, to me

Damn, blid, just when I was starting to get used to you, you go and blow it all up and open yourself up for this...

That's because your repressed gayness makes you think everything not geared towards machismo is gay.

Bombay Game profile

Mar 11th 2014, 18:39:49

Too bad they couldn't explain the spontaneous combustion of first life on earth...

mrford Game profile

Mar 11th 2014, 22:14:45

spontaneous combustion of first life?

or spontaneous creation

there is a rather large difference there friend.

and who said life on earth originated on earth? HMMMMMMMM?
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Marshal Game profile

Mar 11th 2014, 22:48:04

aliens created us.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

braden Game profile

Mar 11th 2014, 22:53:30

they're called refugees, marshal, and the majority of us left africa a long time ago. stop being so rude.

tmas Game profile

Mar 12th 2014, 1:40:29

no

Atryn Game profile

Mar 12th 2014, 12:28:32

Originally posted by mrford:
Military Channel (Just changed names to "American Heros Channel a few days ago, weird)

How is that weird? The victors always get to re-write history. :)

Do they cover this on the "American Heroes Channel": http://www.globalpolicy.org/...-criminal-homicides-.html

Atryn Game profile

Mar 12th 2014, 12:31:02

Back to the topic at hand... I haven't gotten to watch Cosmos yet, but I hope to tonight with the family now that I'm back in town.

blid

EE Patron

Mar 12th 2014, 18:36:57

mrford Game profile

Mar 12th 2014, 18:42:11

Originally posted by Atryn:
Originally posted by mrford:
Military Channel (Just changed names to "American Heros Channel a few days ago, weird)

How is that weird? The victors always get to re-write history. :)

Do they cover this on the "American Heroes Channel": http://www.globalpolicy.org/...-criminal-homicides-.html

i dont think the channel is what you think it is. its pretty much a military based history channel, that is rapidly just becoming a history channel without all the bullfluff reality shows. it isnt really agenda driven or involved in cover ups or whatever you are insinuating. its owned by DIscovery Communications.

Edited By: mrford on Mar 12th 2014, 18:45:52
Swagger of a Chupacabra