Verified:

neversilence

May 20th 2014, 3:35:13

I wish it was earth back in 1000's of players.

Serpentor Game profile

May 20th 2014, 4:24:43

Yeah... Problem is that there are 1000's of better games out there. Lol
The EEVIL Empire

Meile Thorstein

May 20th 2014, 10:14:06

Originally posted by Serpentor:
Yeah... Problem is that there are 1000's of better games out there. Lol

At the risk of promoting other sites, care to elaborate?

Marshal Game profile

May 20th 2014, 11:26:14

wow, diablo 3, guild wars 1 & 2, tons of social/rpg/war/build&conquer mmos, war of the tanks/planes, etc.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

blid

EE Patron

May 20th 2014, 11:44:04

Lol if you think some of that dreck is better than this game. Diablo 3 really
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

Xinhuan Game profile

May 20th 2014, 12:17:11

Originally posted by blid:
Lol if you think some of that dreck is better than this game. Diablo 3 really

Ever since the expansion to D3 came out (RoS), it has indeed lived up to being a Diablo game, worthy of being a D2 successor. The original D3 (pre-RoS) did not.

blid

EE Patron

May 20th 2014, 12:18:49

I guess if you like clicking monsters for hours "=[
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

Xinhuan Game profile

May 20th 2014, 16:43:08

The problem with D3 pre-RoS was a problem of frustration. Then, you were farming for gold to get the items you want off the AH. You weren't farming for loot yourself.

Now, with the AH gone, you are directly farming for the loot. It's a world of difference, and because (legendary) loot is account bound, they are able to increase the drop rate of good loot easily by a factor of 1000x. A typical person might only interact with some maybe 10-20 strangers online, in D2, the drop rate of certain items was so rare that even meeting someone online with that item was an achievement in and of itself. With the AH pre-RoS, they had to nerf the drop rate drastically to account for the AH trading of the best items.

Pre-RoS, you grinded for gold. In RoS, you grinded for gear. Very different. This leads to a totally different game with a totally different feel, RoS is now worthy to be a D2 successor.

Now, blid, I understand you don't like "grinding for gear" in general, the repetitiveness of clicking on monsters repeatedly, but you have to understand the itemhunt IS the game for people who like it. The constant goal to strive for that perfect piece of gear, 1 more stat point on it towards perfectness. The closest analogy to EE would be that I could claim that every reset is the same, it is the same "grab land repetitiveness, then stock, then destock", but the thrill is in the perfecting of your country, the constant goal to squeeze out that last bit of NW.

This is exactly what I feel about landtrading - the presence of the landtrading mechanic has warped the game from "competitive competition" to "cooperative competition" for the top 10 spots. It is no longer the same game, the feel is totally different, in the same manner that the presence of the Auction House in D3 had warped the game from "farming for loot" into "farming for gold". As a consequence, I no longer play on Alliance since 6 months ago.

I hope you totally get my analogy.

Edited By: Xinhuan on May 20th 2014, 16:50:26
See Original Post

blid

EE Patron

May 20th 2014, 18:30:48

But grinding for gear, is it competitive? What's the point really? Earth is a contest. Even with landtrading, which is kind of unrelated, you still only have one winner, one person better at trading + running a country than the others. And plus there's all kinds of factors and inputs and outputs in this game. I can understand the psychology for enjoying this game. Maybe I can understand the psychology for clicking monsters for hours to get a few shiny pixels that make up a legendary gold ring but it's depressing to think about.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

May 20th 2014, 18:34:55

This is the only game I play (that doesn't involve actual physical activity) hehe.
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Xinhuan Game profile

May 20th 2014, 18:57:25

Originally posted by blid:
But grinding for gear, is it competitive? What's the point really? Earth is a contest. Even with landtrading, which is kind of unrelated, you still only have one winner, one person better at trading + running a country than the others. And plus there's all kinds of factors and inputs and outputs in this game. I can understand the psychology for enjoying this game. Maybe I can understand the psychology for clicking monsters for hours to get a few shiny pixels that make up a legendary gold ring but it's depressing to think about.

It's the act of finding gear that is fun. A game doesn't have to be competitive to be fun. Lots of people play EE, but don't strive for the top 50. Many people find it enjoyable to try out whacky builds using spell/skills that are non-cookie cutter. For example, finding gear to play a "melee wizard" (spectral blades/freeze build).

Or a Critical mass with teleport calamity rune based build with the Occulus offhand (the build is based around doing damage on teleport arrival, with Occulus adding additional teleports), and the gear revolving around cooldown reduction.

Or a Archon based build, also revolving around Cooldown reduction.

There are tons of ways to play a character/class, Diablo isn't a competition. For some it is about having fun, discovering 50 myriad of ways to kill monsters that are viable in Torment 6. For another, it might be to find that perfect gear set to do that one build. To another, it might be to be the highest level in Paragon levels, or the highest Elemental Elite DPS character on DiabloProgress.com. There are different ways to skin a cat.

Note that next major patch will introduce timed tiered rifts and ladders, for the people that want actual competition.

I'm losing interest in EE because there is little else to explore, unlike in Diablo 3 which is still fresh. Also, I only play hardcore mode (perma death), so the thrill of almost dying is always around the corner.

crest23 Game profile

May 20th 2014, 21:24:48

Nerds, you guys are nerds. I play Scrabble and Chess.
The Nigerian Nightmare.

Meile Thorstein

May 20th 2014, 21:30:06

Originally posted by crest23:

Is there a "breakdancing on cardboard" game?

Serpentor Game profile

May 21st 2014, 2:46:08

I was just assuming. I play no other games, nor do I use a comp in general for anything really besides this. Imaginary land is a waste of life...except earth. Lol
The EEVIL Empire

Xinhuan Game profile

May 21st 2014, 8:09:01

I play Scrabble and Chess too. And 7 Wonders, Carcassonne, Words against Humanity, Werewolf, Discworld, Heroscape, Citadels, etc.

I also play Clash of Clans, Words with Friends, Hearthstone, Faster Than Light, 2048, Candy Crush, etc.

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

May 21st 2014, 8:40:55

Xinhuan, I have to ask, and please forgive me, but are you a sophisticated chinese AI program?

Xinhuan Game profile

May 21st 2014, 8:51:07

I am Chinese.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 21st 2014, 11:53:09

Xin, we need to get you outside some!

Play some disc golf!

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

May 22nd 2014, 14:42:14

Originally posted by Xinhuan:

I play Scrabble and Chess too. And 7 Wonders, Carcassonne, Words against Humanity, Werewolf, Discworld, Heroscape, Citadels, etc.

I also play Clash of Clans, Words with Friends, Hearthstone, Faster Than Light, 2048, Candy Crush, etc.

How?....... WTF!!!....where do you find time for all that????
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Xinhuan Game profile

May 22nd 2014, 15:52:46

I find time by not playing them all simultaneously.

blid

EE Patron

May 22nd 2014, 15:56:38

Originally posted by Xinhuan:
I am Chinese.
I thought you were Malaysian. Or Chinese ethnicity, living in Malaysia, you mean, as opposed to Malay?

Xinhuan Game profile

May 22nd 2014, 20:17:46

Singaporean Chinese.

blid

EE Patron

May 22nd 2014, 20:20:29

Oh Singapore! You should call up Rob and ask him how he's doing.

ironxxx Game profile

EE Patron

May 23rd 2014, 3:11:54

I miss the AH and RMAH

RoS is 4T YAWN