Verified:

Marshal Game profile

Oct 7th 2014, 14:04:07

1st 2 days in FFA and I have already suffered ~dozen earthquakes (1 country had 2 inside 10 turns) and that's against randomness and I have gotten other negative things ~5 times and positive things maybe 3-5 times.

way to mess up starting.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

blid

EE Patron

Oct 7th 2014, 14:05:39

earthquakes are stupid
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 7th 2014, 19:47:24

yo mamma!
:P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Marshal Game profile

Oct 7th 2014, 20:20:49

got some more and worst was 10 buildings eq.

translation: TOTALLY fluffED UP START OF SET!!!

braden Game profile

Oct 7th 2014, 22:43:32

youd like your randomness to be.. less random?

havent had one earthquake, myself. you can close this thread, now.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 7th 2014, 23:26:12

less negative randoms, ~15 eqs inside 3 days and ~5 other negs.

if same trend continues alot turns will be spent on rebuilding than what strat needs.

Xninja Game profile

Oct 11th 2014, 16:15:48

Unless you start to do construction booms, which would be crazy, earthquakes are useless. Do we really need a random destruction value?
Overlord of Chaos
http://lords.ghqnet.com<--CLICK ME; JOIN CHAOS
Aim:baerninja
MSN/Email:

Marshal Game profile

Oct 11th 2014, 19:08:52

no.

i've lost few 100 buildings to eqs in ffa so far.

VicRattlehead Game profile

Oct 11th 2014, 21:55:44

I have been on an earthquake binge lately, in every server.

zerozerozero Game profile

Oct 12th 2014, 11:37:08

me too. but as long as other players are also having them, I'm ok.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 12th 2014, 12:42:29

some get more and some get less, so far no eq in alliance.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 16th 2014, 19:22:51

i can reduce the frequency of them i suppose =/ or the sevarity... i dunno

ORRRRR

have a magnitude feature!! =D

from 1 to 11! which does like nothing to DESTROY ALL BUILDINGS?

:)
Finally did the signature thing.

Oct 16th 2014, 19:49:20

Nope, nope and nope. I would definitely be all for a reduction or elimination.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 16th 2014, 20:00:27

frequency is "bit" high if inside 3 days gets 15 eqs. rate has dropped since start of set but not gone.

Xinhuan Game profile

Oct 16th 2014, 20:08:56

Should just remove Earthquakes from the game.

Earthquakes really add nothing of value to the game (there are no strategic choices to make about it), and only causes frustration (you cannot mitigate them), and can make/break a rank or two on large countries near the end of the reset.

The random Booms and droughts/strikes/etc don't add anything to the game either (again, there are no strategic choices to make about it). I'll suggest removing them as well (but keep the booms from the Bonus points).

Oct 16th 2014, 21:22:38

The ones that have a positive flipside I am ok with, but it's not like you can have a "construction boom" and build 500 buildings this turn instead of 70 or whatever.

blid

EE Patron

Oct 16th 2014, 22:16:07

The random booms/droughts don't add anything but don't make a major impact. They are harmless or pleasant surprises I guess. I kind of like them simply for "flavor" purposes. It's fun to read about your workers doing overtime or whatever maybe for a new player. But remove them if you think you need to.

On the other hand, Earthquakes are just ass. They can knock down like $500,000,000 worth of buildings on a big country at the end of a set. What the fluff is that?
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

Oct 17th 2014, 14:29:04

how about a construction boom?

Marshal Game profile

Oct 17th 2014, 14:34:55

construction booms don't help near end of set since construction cost would be higher than gains would be.

braden Game profile

Oct 18th 2014, 0:04:45

what the fluff is that? that is us playing a game and not counting on our fingers.

this game should be more like doing sums and far less like playing a game, i tells ya!

Viceroy Game profile

Oct 18th 2014, 6:41:01

And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

braden Game profile

Oct 18th 2014, 12:13:46

this is true. remove variance from explore rates, as well. if it says i explore for six acres, none of this three or eight bullfluff. games of chance? i'll play that war card game. also remove suiciders, because they often hit people who have never harmed them, which is pure chance. and make it so that we can not determine a countrys dr, as being online when a country gets out is purely chance.. or i suppose setting an alarm, but we play a game of skill not a game of setting alarms. and time to market for goods needs to be perfectly even for all of us, as goods hitting in four hours or in five hours is purely chance.

Oct 18th 2014, 12:32:32

Haven't you seen the solo server gdi rules? They have tried to remove suiciders. It is a crock if you ask me.

Xinhuan Game profile

Oct 18th 2014, 12:40:05

You're missing the point.

Chance events in a game is only good if it offers the player __meaningful choices__ to make. Chance in poker/blackjack is interesting, because the player can then make a meaningful decision to bluff/fold/etc.

If you're getting attacked "by chance", that is meaningful because it means your country looked attractive for some reason, maybe it was landfat, or it was the biggest target a suicider could attack. There are mitigating choices that could have been made, by boosting defenses to look less landfat, or by joining GDI, or getting tanks/SDI/warfare.

Having variable market times doesn't add or remove meaningful choices to the player, but serves as a method of randomizing things such that market manipulation is significantly harder between players (market transfers, etc).

Variable explore rates are there not to add/remove meaningful choices, but to enforce the fact that there won't be a "best 100 turn optimized startup" that someone can figure out. You still have startups guides that you can follow, but they are more generic in nature ("explore 1 bpt worth, build").

When designing game features and mechanics, the key thing to understand is
- Is this mechanic fun/interesting?
- Will it frustrate players?
- What does the game mechanic hope to achieve?
- Does the pros outweigh the cons?

Earthquakes as a game mechanic does absolutely nothing but frustrate players. It's not fun, it is not interesting, and doesn't serve any purpose other than to "make things random" (like explore rates), nor add meaningful gameplay choices. Variable explore rates does not particularly add meaningful gameplay choices, but at least they don't detract much or frustrate the player much either.

Xinhuan Game profile

Oct 18th 2014, 12:46:45

Originally posted by VicRattlehead:
Haven't you seen the solo server gdi rules? They have tried to remove suiciders. It is a crock if you ask me.

Lol vic. A player can always still suicide. It's just going to always be by PS, it really isn't that difficult for someone to go all-jetter and PS a large country once every day and forcing it to go war with you.

The GDI changes on solo server reduced the practical "suicide-able" range. A 20k land country can still easily suicide a 50k one, but a 5k one can't.

braden Game profile

Oct 18th 2014, 15:28:30

the meaningful choice you desire from earthquakes is your choice between a ten a forty or a seventy thousand acre country. unless im mistaken and an eq on 10k is the same as an eq on 70k?

frustration? .. what do you smart folk call it, a guassian curve? i cant spell the term let alone understand it. this is frustrating. remove :(

unless marshal agrees with xin, then its confirmed and apoligies will subsequently be offered

(pros and cons are entirely subjective; what might be a pro for one may be a con for another)

blid

EE Patron

Oct 18th 2014, 16:29:02

Originally posted by braden:
the meaningful choice you desire from earthquakes is your choice between a ten a forty or a seventy thousand acre country.
This is not a meaningful choice

Earthquakes are garbage

braden Game profile

Oct 18th 2014, 17:03:09

and yet the choice between continuing to add acres or stockpile is meaningful

youre given an opportunity to mitigate the negative effects of earthquakes. people simply choose not to for whatever reason.

you want to grow your economy to win.. i understand this. with a massive economy youre left with a larger possibility for ruin.

but with less land comes less money and less chance to win. welcome to a world where, even though there are consequences, you are only ever left with choices. people gamble defense against cost per turn. you gamble high profits for.. fractionally less high profits `if` an eq happens

braden Game profile

Oct 18th 2014, 17:09:17

and yet the choice between continuing to add acres or stockpile is meaningful

youre given an opportunity to mitigate the negative effects of earthquakes. people simply choose not to for whatever reason.

you want to grow your economy to win.. i understand this. with a massive economy youre left with a larger possibility for ruin.

but with less land comes less money and less chance to win. welcome to a world where, even though there are consequences, you are only ever left with choices. people gamble defense against cost per turn. you gamble high profits for.. fractionally less high profits `if` an eq happens

Xinhuan Game profile

Oct 18th 2014, 17:25:08

You're funny, braden.

braden Game profile

Oct 18th 2014, 19:03:35

we'll wait to see if marshal confirms this, also.

on a side note.. how do you know what i look like?

i mean.. wait, what?

Marshal Game profile

Oct 18th 2014, 19:37:10

i won't even bother trying to figure out your sarcasm.

Oct 18th 2014, 19:42:37

Originally posted by Xinhuan:
Originally posted by VicRattlehead:

Lol vic. A player can always still suicide. It's just going to always be by PS, it really isn't that difficult for someone to go all-jetter and PS a large country once every day and forcing it to go war with you.

The GDI changes on solo server reduced the practical "suicide-able" range. A 20k land country can still easily suicide a 50k one, but a 5k one can't.

We've talked about this before, I think the two-attack restriction is garbage, it ought to be one. The bottomfed should have the ability to fight back. No reason I shouldn't be able to toss off a nuke at you if you grabbed me.

I don't recall if I mentioned it, but I have been suicided on a disproportionate number of my sets back so far. In Express, by someone I didn't hit at all (before I knew the GDI rules changes), and in Team now in consecutive sets for 1 grab. Part of the risk, and I advocate leaving those players with the opportunity to hit me back if I grab them. I wish they wouldn't self delete after, but hey, part of the game.

braden Game profile

Oct 18th 2014, 19:52:08

sarcasm from me? not likely.

Oct 19th 2014, 4:30:42

Originally posted by Marshal:
construction booms don't help near end of set since construction cost would be higher than gains would be.

I'm thinking more like you will have free building credits (ok sorry thinking utopia here). but since earthquakes destroy buildings, we should have some boom to counteract it (just like where droughts have their counterpart booms).

of course, earthquakes does not really just destroy buildings but also waste turns so I'm not sure if free building credits are enough..

oldman Game profile

Oct 19th 2014, 14:58:16

the 2nd turn of my PS - An earthquake occurred destroying 801 buildings!
the very next turn after my PS - our people demand a tax rebate, lowering tax revenues this turn!
3 turns into rebuilding - A drought occurred severely impacting food production!

Just wanted to share my frustration.

blid

EE Patron

Oct 19th 2014, 17:11:09

Your farmers must have been very disappointed

blid

EE Patron

Oct 19th 2014, 17:12:43

Really, that makes the perfect point about earthquakes, oldman.

Drought - no impact, you're not a farmer
Tax rebate - lost 1/2 of one turn of income. so, maybe $10m? $15m?
Earthquake - lost $120,000,000 if you did building cost bonus, otherwise $240,000,000!!!!!

it is clearly way way way too detrimental, and the tax rebate, which is like 1/10th as painful, also has a boom that more than counteracts it!

Xinhuan Game profile

Oct 19th 2014, 18:13:52

I had an earthquake today on 52k acres.

An earthquake occurred destroying 86 buildings!

Yep. 86.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 19th 2014, 19:22:23

fully built?

Xinhuan Game profile

Oct 19th 2014, 19:25:08

Of course fully built. I have more BPT than the destroyed buildings too.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 19th 2014, 20:34:03

you got very lucky then, my eqs are 100+ buildings lost once i get to ~10k acres.

blid

EE Patron

Oct 20th 2014, 22:23:35

Ban earthquakes

h2orich Game profile

Oct 21st 2014, 7:40:37

Magnitute of 8.9 on the ritcher scale hit my country today. 855 acres.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 23rd 2014, 2:41:34

You people need to stop building on active fault lines....
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Frybert Game profile

Oct 23rd 2014, 3:05:27

Originally posted by KoHeartsGPA:
You people need to stop building on active fault lines....

The entire earth is one according to this game.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 23rd 2014, 13:39:27

there is 1 fault line and all our countries are built on top of it.

Raging Budda Game profile

Oct 24th 2014, 3:02:06

Originally posted by Xinhuan:
Should just remove Earthquakes from the game.

Earthquakes really add nothing of value to the game (there are no strategic choices to make about it), and only causes frustration (you cannot mitigate them), and can make/break a rank or two on large countries near the end of the reset.

The random Booms and droughts/strikes/etc don't add anything to the game either (again, there are no strategic choices to make about it). I'll suggest removing them as well (but keep the booms from the Bonus points).

This is from way back in the day, and the coding may have changed. But as I understand things, each turn you run as a small chance of an "event" happening. Not sure of the order, but when an "event" happens, there are two "rolls" one for postive/negative and the other on what type of event (proudction, oil, farms, cash, earthquakes) though earthquakes have no postive. But in order for each "type" option to be enabled you had to have one building correspdoing to what the bulding did. So to minmize earthquakes, having one min of res, ez, farm, oil, and IC, would enable all roll types and make the earthquake roll less likey to occur.

Now that I spent 5 min thinking that through, the code could be very diffrent today. So maybe I can stop having casher builds with 1 farm and 1 oil rig.
Your base is mine!

Xinhuan Game profile

Oct 24th 2014, 5:38:44

The 1 of every building trick doesn't work in EE, so it is definitely different.

oldman Game profile

Oct 24th 2014, 7:11:20

An earthquake occurred destroying 834 buildings!

yay!