Verified:

SkyKing Game profile

Sep 30th 2014, 14:39:09

Was thinking of giving a tyranny farmer a test run. Tech start, swap to farms. My biggest question is this. Theoretically, is it viable to be a farmer and not build your acreage to 100% like a techer would.

VicRattlehead Game profile

Sep 30th 2014, 15:00:56

To the second q, yes. The the initial proposition, why would you switch from tyr tech to tyr farm? You should farm start and switch to tech IMO, if you want tech->farm use a demo. Tyr techers are freaking awesome.

SkyKing Game profile

Sep 30th 2014, 15:13:42

Originally posted by VicRattlehead:
Tyr techers are freaking awesome.
Tyranny techers are good? Good to know. XD

The idea was to save on agritech at the start then start growing without regard to acreage built. I was figuring that with the tyrannys ability to grow massively, especially in a truncated fast paced set such as express that I could get fat enough to exponentially grow without having to worry about catching back up on tech in the backend. Will be predicated upon a LG strat that will probably end up getting me suicided but I am hoping I can outrun via humanitarian from the gate.

Sep 30th 2014, 15:28:07

Tyr techers can max mil strat and spend far fewer turns grabbing than other techers, thus more turns teching. It is actually my fave war strat for alliance, as you can pump out missiles like a madman and you can spend your readiness turns teching. Let a commie or two leech off you to keep your breakers fed, mid break all set and have massive hit totals by the end.

It works for netting too. Figure if I was a tyr techer in primary instead of a theo, I would definitely have thousands more acres by now. It might not be all built, but that is a different story lol. Remember that any income during a turn is inconsequential to a techer, it is all about the tpt and % of turns spent teching. Tyrs can dominate both of those criteria.

It is a somewhat slower starter than some other starts, but tyr tech is badass.

SkyKing Game profile

Sep 30th 2014, 15:36:01

So more land even if you can't build it is ok?

Sep 30th 2014, 15:38:49

I guess I don't. You are talking about outrunning suicided with a slow starting fast finishing country, when to outrun you need to be fast in the mid game more than a where else. Mid game with this strat you will be converting.

Sep 30th 2014, 15:40:21

Originally posted by SkyKing:

Yup, it's not like the people with 80k acres in primary build them all, same thing in express just a smaller scale. Works best for farmer in express.

My above post refers to your pre-edit reply. :P

Furious999 Game profile

Sep 30th 2014, 15:58:15

Well I like to develop my land. But whatever turns you on I guess.

SkyKing Game profile

Sep 30th 2014, 16:03:35

I think my point is trying to get an exorbitant amount of acreage that potentially wouldn't be profitable to build on or effective to build on. At certain acreage I would imagine the build cost would exceed the return on agreage.

Sep 30th 2014, 16:08:06

Yes, and tyr farm is a good strat to try that with.

Xinhuan Game profile

Sep 30th 2014, 16:33:14

Yup, it's not like the people with 80k acres in primary build them all, same thing in express just a smaller scale. Works best for farmer in express.

My above post refers to your pre-edit reply. :P

This is incorrect. If you see an 80k country on Primary, they really have it all built. On at least 100-110 BPT.

I think my point is trying to get an exorbitant amount of acreage that potentially wouldn't be profitable to build on or effective to build on. At certain acreage I would imagine the build cost would exceed the return on agreage.

This is correct. In fact, having extra acres for the sake of them is detrimental, because it lowers your tech%. That makes it counterproductive for the $/acre generated by the existing buildings and population.

There is one situation where having extra acres is a benefit, and that is if you're a country that is about to jump, you grab to increase your PM regen (it scales with land size), and that you are 100% certain you won't be spending any more turns for the rest of the reset due to upkeep exceeding any income you can get per turn after the jump. Your stockpile has to be huge for this to be true.

Sep 30th 2014, 17:11:03

Ok, let me rephrase a little.

Many of those 80k countries don't build all those acres with *their strat specific buildings,* rather they keep many seized buildings and just build on the empties.

SkyKing Game profile

Sep 30th 2014, 17:24:28

Many of those 80k countries don't build all those acres with *their strat specific buildings,* rather they keep many seized buildings and just build on the empties.
This is more along the lines of what I was trying to figure out.

Xinhuan Game profile

Sep 30th 2014, 19:17:05

Well, near the end of your grabbing, (where grabbing on no longer gives anymore benefits over stocking), you should start to narrow target selection down to "same strat countries", so you can grab an extra day longer.

blid

EE Patron

Oct 1st 2014, 21:50:22

Every reset that I'm a 60-70k acre country I always have all my buildings set up to align with my strategy. If I couldn't afford to convert the buildings or if I thought it was too close to the round's end to be worth it, I probably would stop attacking.
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

crest23 Game profile

Oct 2nd 2014, 3:16:51

Bottom line, don't take advice on this game from Vic.
The Nigerian Nightmare.

Oct 2nd 2014, 3:32:27

Man, you really have a hardon for me all of a sudden. Did I grab you in primary or something?

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 2nd 2014, 3:52:53

I've decided to go demo farmer for express instead. I think I'd like tyranny farming more in primary. I've never been a farmer before so nows a good time to test it. :)

Furious999 Game profile

Oct 2nd 2014, 11:28:13

Tried it once. I was hopeless.

Oct 2nd 2014, 13:30:13

Demo farmer is cool, you will like it.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 2nd 2014, 17:23:46

Resource decay with my bonuses?

Oct 2nd 2014, 17:58:30

Depends on how you want to play. Zorp showed me some math showing that some combination of turns (during growth phase) and food booms (once you get big) is best, but if you want to keep lots of stock at home and plan for an extended destock resource decay makes sense too. I am an advocate of keeping your money working for you by public market reselling, but as crest23 has been happy to point out I am obviously carrying an extra chromosome, so TIWS.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 2nd 2014, 18:11:01

Those ideas are solid. I just think in express turn count isn't nearly as important as primary. Maybe use decay early for greatest long term effect then food booms later.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 2nd 2014, 20:38:48

I have all these extra turns what do I do. I guess I cash?

Marshal Game profile

Oct 2nd 2014, 20:48:37

cash or explore and build.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 2nd 2014, 20:57:13

I probably should have gone with a tech start since all I know how to do is tech.

Oct 2nd 2014, 21:05:04

DO NOT cash as a farmer until you are ready to stock. Explore, build, lather rinse repeat.

Oct 2nd 2014, 21:05:52

Slowplaying is always an option in Express, especially since as a demo you can gain resources through market trading spending minimal turns.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 2nd 2014, 21:12:35

But that will make me fat. I hate playing fat.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 2nd 2014, 21:12:52

Do these explores make my butt look big.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 12:15:51

Apparently it did. 3 attacks dang it.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 13:15:23

lol@skyking

get more military.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 14:40:53

Clearly my start sucked. I figured out casher well enough but I just don't have a handle on this farming deal. I guess I should not have batch explored so heavily but I just assumed that that's what you were supposed to do. I'm having a hard time grasping the intended purpose of my turns since I'm not teching and not attacking. Once I'm fully built then what?

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 14:43:30

Should I have slow explore/built that acreage?

Oct 3rd 2014, 16:21:51

Why not attack?

Turns should be spent on growth as much as possible, as long as you can hang on to it. :) What's your bpt? Sometimes, the "optimal" bpt isn't really optimal. For example, as an indy, it can be detrimental to have too much bpt because you build your land too fast and spend too much $$$ per turn and cannot spend all your turns. If you are planning to convert to a reseller, the "optimal" bpt might leave you exposed for too long during your conversion, meaning you would want more. Clearly this will not always be the case, but I would guess that your bpt is the problem at present.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 16:25:17

I have 57 bpt.

Oct 3rd 2014, 16:26:02

That's a weird number, did you calculate that as the optimal for your land goal or did you just stop there?

Furious999 Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 16:30:50

You need land and must use your turns to get it.

How you avoid being landfat and regularly attacked I do not know.

Years ago I saw a highly skilled player drill a whole bunch of newbies to play farmer and her method was to have them explore and build then at the end of their turns they had to spend half their cash on tech and half on turrets. She had them selling on pm until they could be trusted to do so on public.

The newbies countries were very hard to hit.

However that was in 1A and the newby farmers were backed up with retallers and had some tag protection. So that exact formula might not work for you. But it will be along the right lines.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 16:31:54

I've stopped there for now. I figured 12k acreage with some earthquakes thrown in. Maybe that's going to be a little to low this set since its been extended. I know what to do when I get bigger and have income but this start sucked and its where I'll need to improve. Will probably run this back next express as well. I'm finally at the point where I'm getting enough bushels to buy the milt and stuff I need. A casher was pretty much a techer in regard to having to actively burn turns earning your income. As a farmer there are just times where I'm like what the heck am I supposed to do.

Oct 3rd 2014, 16:41:11

The answer is always "grow," until it's time to stock. As I have mentioned, I'm not that great with the pace of Express, tourney is more my speed, but I have done work with some farmers. The method Furious outlined above will stand you in good stead. The best thing to do in your startup is probably to hold turns at turn 99, then come out blazing. You can have enough turns on hand in Express to blow right past the slow start portion and bring yourself into the rapid growth portion in one play session, and since you won't have to buy military until you are finished playing your turns you will also have good cash flow to go with your bushel flow. Don't be scared to keep selling on the private market to finance the turns, sacrificing a little income now for growth and stability is worth it.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 16:47:48

Don't be scared to keep selling on the private market to finance the turns, sacrificing a little income now for growth and stability is worth it.
I think that was part of the problem.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 16:57:13

I was left exposed several times waiting on sales on the public market. Heck I had bushels sit at best price for 4 hours last night. I got popped 3 times.

Oct 3rd 2014, 18:12:53

Yup, that's it. Until you are firmly on your feet and can hold on to the land, sell half of your bushels on the private and the rest on the public. This allows you the freedom to shore up your defenses immediately without sacrificing the entire benefit of better prices on the public.

Furious999 Game profile

Oct 3rd 2014, 18:18:27

Interesting. Takes me back to that girl. At the time I wondered why she insisted the newbies sold on the private market for so long. With the benefit of Vic's comment I begin to see the light.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 4th 2014, 10:02:17

Lol, we'll I totally fd up this set. Funny I figured casher out no problem and I've always been able to tech but diz farming business is hard.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 4th 2014, 12:49:16

farmer is dependant alot of market (indy is dependant most), if current selling price is 40 there are always some who sell their bushels at 35-37 (or even lower).

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 4th 2014, 13:08:33

For something that's so fast paced it muchs it pretty darn tough to shore up defenses. As a techer there is more flexibility to wait and research say weapons tech to stout your defense instead of buying straight up turret protection. I think my start was very very poor. I think I need to build maybe 1.5k to 2k industrials before I branch down the farming route so that I'm banging out protection as I batch explore to go into farming mode.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 4th 2014, 13:30:04

Also, thank you all for your comments. When I used to play Earth 2025, I only ever ran Tyranny Techer. So all this help has been greatly appreciated.

SkyKing Game profile

Oct 4th 2014, 23:40:29

Worst set of my life. This has been a dumpster fire.

Oct 5th 2014, 1:04:06

There has to be a worst, just as there has to be a best.