Verified:

trumper Game profile

Mar 22nd 2011, 19:42:55

Originally posted by TheORKINMan:
^The above attitude is why our players are playing with a chip on their shoulder. FSU dosn't get any credit no matter what they do. FSU did not just beat Duke this season, they have played more Sweet 16 teams then any other team. We are 2-1 vs Top 5 offenses (Beat #4 Duke, #3nNotre Dame, lost to #1 Ohio State) If we would have figured out how to score by that point in December we likely would have beaten OSU as well. We held all three to an average of 33% shooting. We also were a Harrison Barnes desperation heave as time expired away from beating UNC as well. So yes, I believe we are very capable of beating Kansas

Capability vs probablity are two different things. That was my question. I dont count you guys out by a long stretch, but I do think consistency is your issue.

Im not a big Jayhawk fan. I've been expecting them to rock chalk choke all year long so it wouldn't be insanely surprising, but they seem to have an easier road than any other top seed into the FF.

Shinigami Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 5:28:44

I'd not be surprised to see Kansas fall to either VCU or FSU. They seem more lucky then good.

As for VSU vs FSU, if the shots are falling then I expect VCU to win. If not then FSU will win.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 23rd 2011, 13:35:15

IMO VCU's streak = fool's gold the more I look at it. Granted they capitalized on it in stunning fashion but they beat USC in the first four, then played a Georgetown team that has not won a game in a month (their last win was over USF on February 19th) then beat Purdue who just lost to Iowa to end the regular season then again in the first round of the Big 10 Tourney by 18 to Michigan State, then struggled for much of the game vs St Peters. Watching the actual game Purdue did not even TRY to defend Joey Rodriguez's passing lanes or challenge shots. They looked like they didn't even want to be on the floor.
Smarter than your average bear.

raves

Mar 24th 2011, 16:45:35

Watching the actual game Purdue did not even TRY to defend Joey Rodriguez's passing lanes or challenge shots. They looked like they didn't even want to be on the floor.

Completely accurate. And embarrassing.

Illinois played Kansas tough for 34 or 35 minutes. And then they just started to pound us inside, because we have zero front court presence. Kansas is good, but not great. They may get to the FF by virtue of beating a 16/9/12/10. Not exactly running the gamut.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 25th 2011, 3:07:07

I was rooting hard for the Illini raves shame they couldnt pull it off they were looking good for much of that game.

One thing that made me chuckle though was Michael Snaer's response to ESPN's Eamonn Brennan "reseeding" the Sweet 16 and putting VCU at #2 and FSU at #16:

"We know that a lot of people think that VCU can beat us," Seminoles sophomore guard Michael Snaer said. "Well that's OK. People can keep doubting us all they want. We made it this far without anybody believing [in us]. They can say we're the 16th-best team in the Sweet 16. That's fine.

"We'll be the eighth-best team in the Elite Eight and then the fourth-best team in the Final Four."

mrford Game profile

Mar 25th 2011, 3:10:55

i lost my first FF team tonight

damn SDSU
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

mrford Game profile

Mar 25th 2011, 3:56:02

sooooooooooooooo

i lost 2 of my final four tonight LOL

but duke lost, so im more than satisfied

Edited By: mrford on Mar 25th 2011, 4:10:50
See Original Post
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Shinigami Game profile

Mar 25th 2011, 5:40:20

Florida won and my Final Four remains intact. Tomorrow I'm far less sure about though.

Elite Eight loss Duke but I'm perfectly happy to see them go.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 26th 2011, 4:38:00

Oof heckuva way to lose our game. It happens though, VCU just got one more bucket then us and time ran out.

Shinigami Game profile

Mar 26th 2011, 5:15:48

Hell of a game. Just a hell of a game.

My bracket burst tonight... I had Ohio St in the title game so... yeah...

mrford Game profile

Mar 26th 2011, 7:26:41

ORKIN! HEY ORKIN!

looks like FSU aint guanna win it all. so sad!

OSU lost too, so i lost my champ team too, b ut in relity, im happy as fluff

UNC is going to bowl through UK, we already did once this year, and it was with that POS Larry Drew II at the point.

at the beginning of the year i never could of imagined a FF for the heels, now it is virtually hear and i still cant believe it
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Shinigami Game profile

Mar 27th 2011, 1:41:23

*Sigh*

mrford Game profile

Mar 27th 2011, 23:25:02

/wrists

it was a terrible start for UNC. The all too familiar "dug a massive hole and then try to claw out in the last 5 minutes of the game" the hole was too deep this time. the massive foul trouble early and some cheap foul calls both ways hurt UNC hugely. And i havnt seen officiating that shoddy down the stretch in a while. Both ways. there were times where it looked like the refs were just blowing their wistles for fun and then making up a call.

hopefully everyone stays and we return all our starters. we shall see
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Garry Owen Game profile

Mar 28th 2011, 3:18:39

Ford, no one can believe it because it aint gonna happen.

Go Cats!

It's a Kentucky year. :)

Shinigami Game profile

Mar 28th 2011, 3:20:29

Figured NC was hosed when Florida lost.

Depressing to find that GO is a damn dirty Kentucky fan.

Go VCU.

trumper Game profile

Mar 28th 2011, 17:46:06

IMO VCU's streak = fool's gold the more I look at it. Granted they capitalized on it in stunning fashion but they beat USC in the first four, then played a Georgetown team that has not won a game in a month (their last win was over USF on February 19th) then beat Purdue who just lost to Iowa to end the regular season then again in the first round of the Big 10 Tourney by 18 to Michigan State, then struggled for much of the game vs St Peters. Watching the actual game Purdue did not even TRY to defend Joey Rodriguez's passing lanes or challenge shots. They looked like they didn't even want to be on the floor.

Where can I buy fool's gold?

Jayhawks choked (little later than I expected). I only have UCONN left in FF and to win it all. UNC screwed me from finishing top 2 in my bracket so now I have to settle for 3/4th prizes.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 29th 2011, 22:19:15

Yeah Shaka Smart has some very lucky fool's gold. We had them beat but Derwin Kithen went around a screen the wrong way and at the 4.5 second count on their inbound with no TOs left Burgess shook free for a shot because of that. Those are the breaks unfortunately.

The stupid thing is Shaka has been going on about how he intentionally drew up that play which is ridiculous.

trumper Game profile

Mar 29th 2011, 22:45:39

Yeah Shaka Smart has some very lucky fool's gold. We had them beat but Derwin Kithen went around a screen the wrong way and at the 4.5 second count on their inbound with no TOs left Burgess shook free for a shot because of that. Those are the breaks unfortunately.

The stupid thing is Shaka has been going on about how he intentionally drew up that play which is ridiculous.

Whether or not it was drawn up intentionally... the tournament has just been very topsy-turvy this year with no real dominate teams. I worried about that going into the year, but I had some confidence in some of the traditional powerhours--namely Duke and Uconn, but only Uconn has survived.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 29th 2011, 22:48:30

BTW out of the 4 teams VCU has played we are the only one take them to OT and/or not get spanked by double digits. I'm somewhat stunned they have managed to keep the 3pt shooting so hot for 4 straight tourney games.

The other thing looking at Shaka Smart's record. He seems to do exeedingly well in tournament situations. He is 4-2 in the CAA tourney, won the CBI and is in the Final Four now. However he has never finished better then 4th in the CAA. Which strikes me as very bizarre.

trumper Game profile

Apr 3rd 2011, 14:28:32

BTW out of the 4 teams VCU has played we are the only one take them to OT and/or not get spanked by double digits. I'm somewhat stunned they have managed to keep the 3pt shooting so hot for 4 straight tourney games.

The other thing looking at Shaka Smart's record. He seems to do exeedingly well in tournament situations. He is 4-2 in the CAA tourney, won the CBI and is in the Final Four now. However he has never finished better then 4th in the CAA. Which strikes me as very bizarre.

Bunch of seniors, couple big guys, and a down-year where there was no real dominant team makes for a good combination. He ran into a Butler team with similar dynamics. Too bad though, I wanted VCU to go to the championship (and lose).

I'm laughing im still alive in my brackets. Picking Uconn appears to have been a wiser strategy than I envisioned from the get-go. I said Kemba Walker could carry the team there on his back if need be and Jim Calhoun will do anything (literally anything--see Rudy Gay AAU cheating scandal) to win.

Shinigami Game profile

Apr 3rd 2011, 15:27:18

VCU had every chance to win but they failed to score far too often. Wide open shots from the outside not falling in is one thing but how many buckets from under the basket or jams into the basket bounced out or rolled out or otherwise didn't fall last night?

At least Kentucky lost.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Apr 5th 2011, 21:58:37

Yep, looks like this years champion will be marked as Title Vacated.

Shinigami Game profile

Apr 6th 2011, 3:37:24

Nah, they were reserving that for if Kentucky had won.

trumper Game profile

Apr 6th 2011, 17:48:40

I've moved on to other basketball issues--aka Debbie Yow is a b-tch and Gregg Doyle is a pompous prick (although nothing new with either).