Verified:

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 24th 2011, 21:50:49

Hi,

We're planning to add in a readiness modifier based on how quickly you attack and we're thinking it would be wise to test it out this round on Alliance for the next week or two until this round ends.

The formula for readiness loss would be modified to act as follows:
normal_readiness_loss + max(0,3-ceil(seconds_since_last_attack))

This would make it so that if you attack twice in the same second, your second attack would lose an additional 3% readiness beyond what it would otherwise. If you attack 1 second apart, you would lose an additional 2% readiness. If you wait 3 seconds or more, you would only lose the normal amount of readiness.

We want this to be tested with some larger scale attacking and we don't think adding it in for the last 2 weeks will cause much disturbance.

So expect this to be added in sometime tonight or tomorrow -- once we finish testing it on non-public servers.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 24th 2011, 21:51:57

also some ideas of things to do during that 3 second cooldown:

- adjust your break
- get some readiness back
- buy oil
- buy units!
- buy tech!
- buy food! you're going to run out in 4 turns!
- have a bite of a Snickers bar
- snap into a Slim Jim

Edited By: Pang on Nov 24th 2011, 21:55:42
See Original Post
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Marshal Game profile

Nov 24th 2011, 21:56:37

rediness back in 3 secs? 1-2 turn explore/building and its 5-10 secs gone.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Nov 24th 2011, 22:33:39

of course nothing stops you from mashing the attack button, you just lose readiness faster...
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 24th 2011, 23:16:49

ya, you can mash it all you like -- but you'll lose additional readiness :)
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Flamey Game profile

Nov 24th 2011, 23:58:31

I think changing the formula during a set where some of the alliances are having a total hits competition could be unfair.

iScode Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 0:08:59

Get over it flamey :P

I think its a good idea.
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Pain Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 0:18:12

how will this change affect total hits? slow down your hits to 1 every 3 sec and you will be able to make the same amount of attacks
Your mother is a nice woman

Flamey Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 0:19:42

It's a change... and I would be in favour for a much more radical change in attacking/warfare to spice things up if it makes the game more fun.

I do think that it is unfair changing the rules during a set though when some attackers might be caught out and miss out top hitter by a few hits (especially if there some bug/glitches). It wont effect the course of the war and it may only have a marginal impact on potential hitstats, but it is reminiscent of Omac expanding the set by two weeks that time.

Edited By: Flamey on Nov 25th 2011, 0:22:06
See Original Post

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

Nov 25th 2011, 0:22:24

idea: have a cool down timer that counts down from 3 seconds to know its ok to attack again under readiness
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

locket Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 0:48:10

Originally posted by Flamey:
It's a change... and I would be in favour for a much more radical change in attacking/warfare to spice things up if it makes the game more fun.

I do think that it is unfair changing the rules during a set though when some attackers might be caught out and miss out top hitter by a few hits (especially if there some bug/glitches). It wont effect the course of the war and it may only have a marginal impact on potential hitstats, but it is reminiscent of Omac expanding the set by two weeks that time.

The end of this set has zero importance. Every war is already decided and this is a good way to test it. If they want top hitter they can pay attention when people tell them of the change. Why should they stop changes for individual achievements of which there isn't even a single set record kept of?

Xinhuan Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 0:49:07

Flamey, that can be solved if the developers (pang) sent out a in-game mass message to every country, instead of relying on an announcement and an email about a new announcement that doesn't get read.

Flamey Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 1:00:12

Originally posted by locket:

The end of this set has zero importance. Every war is already decided and this is a good way to test it. If they want top hitter they can pay attention when people tell them of the change. Why should they stop changes for individual achievements of which there isn't even a single set record kept of?

Trust me, the members in SoF are dead serious about hit stat competitions to the same extent that netting alliances find inter-alliance networth races important. Ofc I'm making announcements and trying to inform people, but they'll be discontent if a whole sets work to reach the top hitter goal is scuppered because of an unexpected change. If the test goes wrong and glitches mess up stats it will lead to annoyed people too.

elvesrus

Nov 25th 2011, 1:00:46

Originally posted by LittleItaly:
idea: have a cool down timer that counts down from 3 seconds to know its ok to attack again under readiness

Originally posted by Pang:
it displays how long you need to wait for + if you are using the javascript attacking, it counts down for you and the message disappears when the countdown reaches 0.

the user experience is there -- it's just about tweaking the math at this point.

I'm making a new thread about this in the meantime -- read that :p
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

bakku Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 2:50:00

having changes like this in the middle of the set is dumb. announcing it in an AT thread is even dumber

Drinks Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 2:52:17

Yeah as elvesrus said, there is a countdown if u use javascript.

P.S I hear rumours this got introduced on FFA server also and everyone seems to be complaining? Was that an accident?
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

exile

Nov 25th 2011, 2:56:00

If you start taking votes on this. I vote terrible idea.

ponderer Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 3:02:54

I like it. kills are too fast.
m0m0rific

phx Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 3:03:20

ughhh hate this change

torment Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 3:11:21

This change BLOWS.

Dont get me wrong, im all for the concept of it, but 3 secs is way too much. Cap it at 1 sec.

Xinhuan Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 3:19:35

Well..... I just realized this change directly impacts camping for a country exiting DR in netting sets... If you want to hit multiple times at the exact second, you suffer the readiness loss. Or you can get less land with less readiness loss.

PraetorNLS Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 3:34:32

Makes walling more viable again, im 50/50 depending if im attacking or walling, so i guess its good then.
Why didt we have this while sof were killing me at work two days ago :(
Praetor - disqualified from the human race for being three laps ahead in the second round.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Nov 25th 2011, 3:41:15

I like it too.
And folks this is just a test for now.

Dear Pang:
I cannot snap into a slim jim in 3 seconds. :P

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Rockman Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 3:46:45

The result of this change will be at least one person completely boycotting doing kill runs for the remainder of the set, if this change is implemented. Hopefully I will not be the only one boycotting killing as a direct consequence of this change.

I guess we can call it Operation Occupy Pang's House!

TNTroXxor Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 3:49:21

On the first EDIT/ATTACK confimation page, clicking edit doesnt work.

After reloading the warroom page the country was dead!!!! I just lost out on a kill and 20hits for my stats !
Originally posted by JJ23:
i havent been deleted since last set

Xinhuan Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 4:00:56

Originally posted by PraetorNLS:
Makes walling more viable again, im 50/50 depending if im attacking or walling, so i guess its good then.
Why didt we have this while sof were killing me at work two days ago :(

You weren't really rushed to death to begin with heh.

elvesrus

Nov 25th 2011, 4:09:14

in effect on team as well
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

Nov 25th 2011, 4:44:46

based on what llaar said in another thread, it sucks for smaller alliances. there kills will take longer than big alliances.
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

bertz Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 4:49:15

3 seconds is too long. For God's sake. Make it 1 second!

Xintros Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 5:20:37

We live in an age of sms/texting/instant message. Your either going to get online or not.
I am not involved in war atm so there is no effect on me , but I agree to change in set is a bad idea imo.

Just like everything else it affects everyone so like LI said, they have it tough enough.

Six to one, half a dozen to another I guess?
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a killrrun" - Xintros
https://www.soundclick.com/...efault.cfm?bandID=1381300

Yamaha Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 5:27:31

Cooldown time should be 1 hour so that I can't be killed while I'm at work...

Also I needs the bonus points ;)
Paradigm - The Nuthouse
IMP - Haters Gonna Hate

locket Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 7:27:37

Originally posted by Xintros:
We live in an age of sms/texting/instant message. Your either going to get online or not.
I am not involved in war atm so there is no effect on me , but I agree to change in set is a bad idea imo.

Just like everything else it affects everyone so like LI said, they have it tough enough.

people hit 10 times a second. Targets die(including the breaking) in 10 seconds. If this is put into effect you can at least answer a text -_-

DeDLySMuRF Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 7:40:31

Originally posted by locket:
Originally posted by Xintros:

people hit 10 times a second. Targets die(including the breaking) in 10 seconds. If this is put into effect you can at least answer a text -_-

True... But war chats already last hours, this only makes it worse. Instead of organized chaos like we have now, we are going to have unorganized chaos because WC Leaders will not be able to stay in chats for 6hrs+ 2x/day.

Instead of making dumb changes like this, change how quickly a country becomes spied out, to add something new to the game, instead of taking something away from the game.
FFA Server - Paragon of Duality
Alliance Server - Moral Decay

LaFinglolrik Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 10:44:39

wtf did u loose your head here or something? It will suck for the loosing side in a war. man imagine lemming with this change LOL? Man. ok LaF need to FS one week into next set

Nov 25th 2011, 10:58:56

down with pang and all other admins!! Down with the terrorist taliban scum!

Oceana Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 10:59:51

Sounds good make for better chances of Stonewalling. Though it also is a change that will more favor the larger alliances.

Nov 25th 2011, 11:05:00

BRING BACK MEHUL!!
shoot teargas on the oppressing regime of commie talibans!

diez Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 11:37:29

I believe the goal was to make walling more viable, though I don't believe this is the best method to achieve that...

Perhaps instead of lowering the readiness, make the military loss bigger if you attack x times within 1 sec? That way breakers can't break *that* fast anymore if they want to conserve their military...

Might not be a balanced idea, just throwing the leftover cent I have :p

phx Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 12:08:26

this doesnt improve walling at all...your either near a comp or your not

dagga Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 12:11:03

3 seconds is way too much.

Currently, you might be able to make 5 attacks a second (conservative). With this change you can make 1 attack per 3 seconds.

This change slows an individual's hit rate by 1500%. It's unnecessary and overboard. Just don't register any hit made within 0.5 seconds of each other. I haven't seen any argument that shows that this is (a) difficult or (b) all that is required to put the attack rate to what it roughly used to be.
signatures are stupid.
Months since LaF netgained: 22

ZIP Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 12:49:18

hypothetical talk and mental masturbation. lets try it for a set and see what happens then. There is always negative feedback when they change something, like floor floor to 29, but it still works. Can we agree that this mostly affects clans at war right? So maybe there is a tweak that can be done to military buildings and med tech to balance it out.
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

davidoss Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 14:50:54

I honestly think this change will hurt the game. Dedicated landgrabber and pro-war clans will both find it frustrating. You will more than likely lose people from playing this game if these changes are made permanent.

Detmer Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 15:21:56

Originally posted by davidoss:
I honestly think this change will hurt the game. Dedicated landgrabber and pro-war clans will both find it frustrating. You will more than likely lose people from playing this game if these changes are made permanent.

Who needs to landgrab faster than once every three seconds?

Bater Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 15:41:58

Originally posted by Detmer:

Your GDI farm right as he comes out of DR and before others steal him?

Also, I disapprove of this change. It seems destined to make war chats last longer and give larger alliances an even bigger advantage during war, which will subsequently carry over to netting. I don't think this change has been as well thought out as others have been.

Detmer Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 15:51:28

Originally posted by Bater:
Originally posted by Detmer:

Your GDI farm right as he comes out of DR and before others steal him?

Yeah, exactly. There are a number of gripes as to how warfare is currently played out now, but I think landgrabbing is irrelevant in this change and if anything it improves it =P

It does seem to me that this change is very disadvantageous for small alliances.

aponic Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 16:02:49

Warchats will now last even longer. This idea is terrible.

Hey new player! Check out this awesomely complicated game that will take you a good bit of time to master. We just added features to make it even more cumbersome. Oh, you only play primary and it doesn't effect you? Oh so it only effects the alliance server by effectively extending the amount of time required to play? Well that's great because we all love sitting for two hours trying to play a text based video game every single day. Yea, I am thinking about quitting too.

Whoever came up with '3 seconds' must have picked it out of a hat because it is a terribly large amount of time and puts 100% of effort on the user. This is the worst change to the game by leaps and bounds.
SOF
Cerevisi

aponic Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 16:09:10

Originally posted by Pang:
i've said it like 8 times in various places, but I want to change fighting so that killing countries isn't really how wars are fought -- make it more about killing military in the field & attacking the country's ability to produce goods. military theory dictates that you can't bomb a country to death (unless you go nuclear), so why do we allow that to happen?

Ideally, I'd like to have a system (for clan servers at least) where if your get hit you'll be at a disadvantage for sure, but you're not completely out of the game and your country can recover. I think it would have to include changes for how military bases work as well to give them more purpose as a "rebuilt" building -- maybe tying it into Indies somehow. Changing pop killing to be based on population density is one change which I know others have mentioned before (Detmer), but I think we need to consider the larger system and make a lot more changes to make this work well.

That's a big changeset potentially, but the thing I have always hated most about fighting in this game is how you spend 3-6 weeks building a country and it dies in less than 3 minutes. if you're driving, you can't even pull over to wall effectively. today's modern games typically make it harder to go from an active, powerful account/country/island/whatever to being dead. we definitely need to move there if we want to be at that level.

A full set of comprehensive changes like the ones suggested above sound like a much better idea to me.
SOF
Cerevisi

MrX Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 16:10:00

changes without community consultation? this should have done in majority consensus just to make it fair....

to add more, its almost set end... why not wait a lil week more and inform the community beforehand ...

and personally, i dont vote for the 3 sec throttling :(
________
Join LaF { http://www.boxcarhosting.com/...pplication.php?clanID=LaF }
-+=[ Semper Paratus et Fidelis ] http://www.lafamiglia.org {iCQ: 168700501}

Marshal Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 17:52:22

Originally posted by galleri:

I cannot snap into a slim jim in 3 seconds. :P

so? you can bare your b00bs in 3 secs. :P
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Assassin Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 18:21:43

terrible idea