Verified:

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 29th 2011, 21:40:32

Apology

I'd like to apologize to everyone for my recent actions regarding accusations of FA packages; I noticed some repeated FA packages in the database weeks ago during some maintenance, and investigated as it looked odd.

At this point I should have just forgotten it, but I didn't. A couple days ago I was reading through a thread where there were accusations being levelled by some people on side A against side B, and vice versa, and my country was mentioned. Being slightly miffed at the accusations, I unwisely commented without thinking that the other side wasn't clean, forgetting that the knowledge I had was never meant to be public, and thinking it was obvious.

Being questioned a leaders from that side, I admitted I'd noticed something but stated I'd retract my statement unless I could substantiate with outside tools; of course, knowing what to look for makes this easier, so I was able to do so. I also provided some details upon request, details which perhaps I should not have, but I fully believe alliance leaders have a right to know (which I will hopefully address with some transparency changes in the near future).

I would like to reiterate that I did not go searching for any information in this regards, but rather had stumbled upon it, and with better judgement it would never have made the light of day.

In the future I will endeavour to be as apolitical and fair as I have in the past, and keep any information garnered through administrative duties stay at the administrative level.

Yours regretfully;

-qzjul

Finally did the signature thing.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Jan 29th 2011, 21:45:18

don't drink and admin!
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

highrock Game profile

Jan 29th 2011, 21:46:05

But why wouldn't it be appropriate for an admin to reveal these things? Maybe not during the reset, but I think it's worth discussing whether or not an admin should be able to resolve questions about who FAed who. If we as a community were able to decide on some ground rules for what constitutes a "legit" finish, we should be able to empower an admin to give us more information after the reset as to whether or not FA happened.

Of course, I also see the other side of an admin needing to separate his role as an admin and a player, but I think it's at least worth discussing.
formerly Viola MD

ponderer Game profile

Jan 29th 2011, 21:48:21

no problem : )

I'm shocked, shocked that FA is going on here.
m0m0rific

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 29th 2011, 21:50:06

This is the only incident like this that I'm aware of. We're not perfect, but we try to be honest. From now on none of us will post any information relating to FA and market buyouts, even if it's "obvious". If it's "obvious" then someone else can say it if they wish.

Our apologies to the community and thanks to qz for doing a great job so far.

Depending on what the community wants, we could in theory post information like that after the set. I don't have an opinion on that either way.

Chevs

Jan 29th 2011, 21:50:33

I am all for full disclosure and transparency especially on "non-legit" countries from the admins. I think people are going to feel hostile about the fact that the trasnparency in this case and in past has/was more or less targeted to Side A as you would put it and not the server as a whole :P
SOF Head Of Poop
2019-04-03 21:40:26 PS the stinky deyicks (#599) Beryl Houston (#360) LaF 30638A (43783A)
En4cer: Chevs... u would have beaten me by more than 100m

ponderer Game profile

Jan 29th 2011, 21:54:22

maybe include FA in the news feed?
m0m0rific

ponderer Game profile

Jan 29th 2011, 21:54:55

m0m0rific

Thomas Game profile

Jan 29th 2011, 22:28:34

Originally posted by ponderer:
maybe include FA in the news feed?

We've been asking for this for a long time now :(

aponic Game profile

Jan 29th 2011, 22:37:15

The admins have been talking for some time about allowing players to post their status reports and in-game history. They already did the first part of that. I like the idea of being able to 'prove' that your finish is legitimate but not the idea of all activity in-game becoming public knowledge. The admins deserve credit for being forthright and constantly improving the game. I think this thread is a further testament to that.
SOF
Cerevisi

Ivan Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 9:56:12

I really dont think an apology is needed, imo qz didnt do anything wrong in this case he didnt spread any information that wasnt accessable through public sites so I dont see any issues

Flamey Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 10:49:51

If FA is to be published publicly, do it after the set. FAing a stonewaller is still a valid tactic and can buy vital seconds for someone to come online.

Helmet Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 13:13:28

Originally posted by qzjul:
Apology

I'd like to apologize to everyone for my recent actions regarding accusations of FA packages; I noticed some repeated FA packages in the database weeks ago during some maintenance, and investigated as it looked odd.

At this point I should have just forgotten it, but I didn't. A couple days ago I was reading through a thread where there were accusations being levelled by some people on side A against side B, and vice versa, and my country was mentioned. Being slightly miffed at the accusations, I unwisely commented without thinking that the other side wasn't clean, forgetting that the knowledge I had was never meant to be public, and thinking it was obvious.

Being questioned a leaders from that side, I admitted I'd noticed something but stated I'd retract my statement unless I could substantiate with outside tools; of course, knowing what to look for makes this easier, so I was able to do so. I also provided some details upon request, details which perhaps I should not have, but I fully believe alliance leaders have a right to know (which I will hopefully address with some transparency changes in the near future).

I would like to reiterate that I did not go searching for any information in this regards, but rather had stumbled upon it, and with better judgement it would never have made the light of day.

In the future I will endeavour to be as apolitical and fair as I have in the past, and keep any information garnered through administrative duties stay at the administrative level.

Yours regretfully;

-qzjul

Wow, suprised to see this. Very big of you to apologize, even though I'm not really sure you owe anyone an apology. The only thing that I took an issue with personally was seeing an admin saying there was "massive" going on in SoF because I knew there wasn't massive FA going on in SoF. Like I've said before when admin's post information, even if it's wrong, it's taken as gospel.

You do an awesome job qzjul and you've always been very professional and helpful to players.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 30th 2011, 13:18:54

Kind of looks like Helmet didn't really understand the post ;)
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Helmet Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 13:22:25

Yeah, it was so confusing. Can you translate it for me please?

Deerhunter Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 13:42:31

Once again an abuse of power from the admins (and im not trolling here). My perspective is that we want admins to catch and deal with cheaters. It should be done fast and hard. However, this dibbs right into exactly why playing and being an admin is really a conflict of interest. its to easy to let things cloud your judgment. I think its big of you to admit you made a mistake. I also think you admins need to rethink weather you should admin and play- and for sure not admin and comment here on any think other than admin related duties.

Prime example is when an admin reveals that two different posting accounts here are coming from the same IP. Thats no ones business. Its not game related and should not be made public. By an admin posting their identity he is denying their right to speak freely and protect their identity.
Ya, tho i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no retals,
Cause i have the biggest, baddest, and toughest country in the valley!

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 30th 2011, 14:57:05

good to apologise, its hard sometimes to remember where the line is

but it will also be great if you put something in the game to make non individual netting at least a little more transparent

everyones free to play the way they want, but its better if everyone knows who does what so we dont have people competing with those doing something they dont want to do

or an arms race akin to steroids in professional sport

TNTroXxor Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 15:05:23

+1 to qzjul for being a professional..
Originally posted by JJ23:
i havent been deleted since last set

ZIP Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 16:06:12

+2
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 17:11:12

Originally posted by Deerhunter:
Once again an abuse of power from the admins (and im not trolling here). My perspective is that we want admins to catch and deal with cheaters. It should be done fast and hard. However, this dibbs right into exactly why playing and being an admin is really a conflict of interest. its to easy to let things cloud your judgment. I think its big of you to admit you made a mistake. I also think you admins need to rethink weather you should admin and play- and for sure not admin and comment here on any think other than admin related duties.

Prime example is when an admin reveals that two different posting accounts here are coming from the same IP. Thats no ones business. Its not game related and should not be made public. By an admin posting their identity he is denying their right to speak freely and protect their identity.

This is incomprehensibly dumb. If the admins don't play, neither do the rest of us. They have kept this game going SO THEY CAN PLAY IT. Use your head!
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

aponic Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 17:17:11

+1 for Vic
SOF
Cerevisi

gwagers Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 19:49:33

How is an IP address revelation denying a right to speak freely? I'd say that about a few admin deletions, but if they just say, "You're the same guy as this other guy," that's just making things transparent. Think about it; we're already hiding behind assumed identities in this forum. Why would anyone need two?
Peloponnese (PEHL-oh-puh-NEES): a mythical land of cheesecake

"We cannot enter into alliance with neighboring princes until we are acquainted with their designs..."--Sun Tzu

Who has time for that? BLAST THEM ALL!

Deerhunter Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 20:09:48

I think there are a few questions to be asked here. First, why is everyone turning an abuse of power into kissing an admins butt? Second, was this apology before or after he was caught abusing his power. Finally, discussing anything about someones IP is completely an abuse of power. How can you not see that? Oh, let me guess your a flaming liberal who thinks that all our rights should be surrendered so we can be "protected" from ourselves?

You must make a stand somewhere. I think its big to apologize- now I am calling on you to do the right thing and surrender your position as an admin. You have proven that you cant be trusted not to abuse your powers.
I shall fear no retals,

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 20:18:55

You are an idiot. I am a hardcore anti-liberal. Pro death penalty, anti abortion, pro killing terrorists, anti tax, anti government spending advocate of freedom and personal responsibility. Go look at some of my olders posts on GT for verification.

If the admins aren't free to enjoy this game, which is NOT turning them a profit, then why the hell would they continue to run it? I like playing this game, I like that it's free, therefore I like the admins for making it and keeping it free. If you try to tell them they can't be admins and players (imagine you had the power to make it so), then what is their motivation to keep the game going? Life is all about motivation, and if there is none for the admins to keep this game alive, then they won't.
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

aponic Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 20:19:21

1. The administrators are human and not computers so no one is concerned about some minor blemish of mixing administrative information with information accessible through the various EarthEmpire related hosting sites.

2. Obviously it is an admission without being caught or you would have seen something before the apology. Use deductive reasoning skills.

3. Where did IP addresses come into the equation? Did you pull this out of your ass?

Oh, great idea, getting one of the active game developers to stop developing. Your face has a pimple so go cut your head off hoser.
SOF
Cerevisi

anoniem Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 20:26:19

Deerhunter, are you going to start administrating and coding now? Surely, you're not going to give up your position as village idiot?
re(ally)tired

Pain Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 20:28:02

deerhunter was clearly in SPED class. otherwise why would he use sped reasoning.
Your mother is a nice woman

ponderer Game profile

Jan 30th 2011, 20:31:38

I think there are a few questions to be asked here. First, why is everyone turning an abuse of power into kissing an admins butt? Second, was this apology before or after he was caught abusing his power. Finally, discussing anything about someones IP is completely an abuse of power. How can you not see that? Oh, let me guess your a flaming liberal who thinks that all our rights should be surrendered so we can be "protected" from ourselves?

You must make a stand somewhere. I think its big to apologize- now I am calling on you to do the right thing and surrender your position as an admin. You have proven that you cant be trusted not to abuse your powers.

He didn't have to apologize. Hell, he could've kept saying he got the info off of the evo site, and while we'd have been suspicious, we never would have known for sure.

Now in terms of having QZ quit as an admin - are you volunteering to take up his work load (assuming the rest of the community would have you)?

Admins like QZ and Pang who take part in the alliance system and play the game are this game's only shot at survival, and they are human. That QZ owned up to his actions means he's not a sociopath, and I believe he will be more discrete in the future.
m0m0rific

oats Game profile

Jan 31st 2011, 7:27:42

I'm not a fan of admins who seem to constantly scrutinize the alliance I am part of but I'm a fan of admins who show the capacity to self-police.

I was trying to find something that demonstrated you used insider info so I could annoy and troll Slagpit. This thread dashed my dreams.

Dragonlance Game profile

Jan 31st 2011, 8:02:06

serious question:

Why did you say something about using evo tools earlier?

was that related to a different FA issue? or did you also use the evo tools to gather some information about possible sof Fa packages?

basically, i'm a tad confused and need clarification.

Because i think that if you are saying you lied about using evo tools and actually got the info from admin tools, this is an extremely serious issue. However if your saying you got info a few weeks ago from admin tools, then recently after this discussion popped up on AT took a look at stuff in Evo tools, and unwittingly used knowledge gained from the admin tools weeks ago without realising it, it's not really much of an issue at all:p

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 31st 2011, 8:45:55

All stats & info I posted publicly came from Evo's tools.

However, I mentioned that FA was going on before having investigated with these tools, from memory of what I'd seen, assuming that others would have noticed; on being asked to substantiate, I gathered info using Evo's tools, which is what I posted - but again, already knew what to look for.

I also provided some information in private from admin tools to leaders of the alliance in question, at their request, information which is not currently at leaders disposal, but perhaps should be.
Finally did the signature thing.

Deerhunter Game profile

Jan 31st 2011, 12:49:22

Proves my point- i think we can all agree its time for Qzjul to step down and let someone else take the reigns.
I shall fear no retals,

Helmet Game profile

Jan 31st 2011, 13:28:33

lol - no

Chevs

Jan 31st 2011, 15:19:13

Proves my point- i think we can all agree its time for Qzjul to step down and let someone else take the reigns.

go play russian roulette funny guy
SOF Head Of Poop
2019-04-03 21:40:26 PS the stinky deyicks (#599) Beryl Houston (#360) LaF 30638A (43783A)

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 31st 2011, 15:41:20

tbh, all this talk of legitness drives me nuts. this is an alliance server and the ability to fa is part of the game. if someone wants to, OF THEIR FREE WILL, fa a clan mate astronomical amounts of goods, then so be it. that is a choice they're allowed to make.

In alliance server, the ranks are normally based on tnw/anw not single nw. surely if the person who fa'd the astronomical amount of goods had used it for themselves, they would have evened out the tnw/anw.

So quit whining.

If u want a server that is based solely on a player's skill, try your luck at a solo server with no tag protection. test your skill that way. alliance server is all about reaching alliance goals, not single players.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

Jan 31st 2011, 15:46:39

Originally posted by Chevs:

go play russian roulette funny guy

why you wanting to give a gun to an idiot?

NukEvil Game profile

Jan 31st 2011, 15:47:47

Because it'll be entertaining to watch said idiot try to learn how to use it?
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 31st 2011, 15:49:25

I agree with everything you say izarcon, BUT...

there is nothing wrong with people wanting to find out who had the highest NW country that did not internally farm or receive FA (or anything else that people judge as not "legit") I agree with you that our terminology should change. We shouldn't call finishes such as Mr. Silver's not legit, perhaps "aided" would be better. I think there is nothing wrong with trying to discover who had the highest non-aided finish. Whether admin tools should help in such an effort I'm less sure of tho...

Galandy Game profile

Jan 31st 2011, 15:57:20

I think his point was that this is the alliance server Bobby and should be about "aided" finishes Exclusively. AKA guild members should be trying to get the highest finish as a guild and not individually.

Otherwise whats the point of playing in a guild if its all about you as an individual?
<[FBI]ZEN> Which is funny...because I am Spanish and Native American mixed....which means I am a Mexican....
<Galandy>move to canada ZEN everyone else does
<[FBI]ZEN> And breed with a Quebecian
<[FBI]ZEN> To make the ultimate snob/migrant worker

Patience Game profile

Jan 31st 2011, 16:37:23

Oh good lord, tell me you did NOT just call them 'guilds'. lol *ducks*
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

Galandy Game profile

Jan 31st 2011, 16:41:26

OH FOR fluffING SAKE!

EVERY OTHER GAME IS GUILDS AND I CANT ALWAYS REMEMBER TO CHANGE IT!

Now quickly tie me to the steak and light the fire since i think this is my third public offense at doing it :P
<[FBI]ZEN> Which is funny...because I am Spanish and Native American mixed....which means I am a Mexican....
<Galandy>move to canada ZEN everyone else does
<[FBI]ZEN> And breed with a Quebecian
<[FBI]ZEN> To make the ultimate snob/migrant worker

Jan 31st 2011, 16:44:31

no, first we have to test you to see if you're a witch!

Dragonlance Game profile

Feb 1st 2011, 1:33:03

i don't actually mind info being provided at admin's discretion if relevant.

However, it becomes murky if admins are obviously bias, not saying you are btw!

using admin tools without indicating so is murky waters.

But i say "meh, we all make errors:p"

BobbyATA Game profile

Feb 1st 2011, 1:42:19

Galandy, it is rare that helping one individual achieve high NW helps the clan achieve higher ANW or TNW. Thats why most people still care about the top unaided even on the alliance server.

Patience Game profile

Feb 1st 2011, 4:35:04

SEE IF HE FLOATS!!!! THEN WE'LL BURN HIM!!! ;)

qzjul: <3 <3 <3

You rock. I know from experience that it's tough to keep church and state separate, and sometimes the line gets unintentionally blurred. And I think the fact that you posted this shows you have more moral fiber in your little finger than most of the All-Bran eaters here. Nicely handled.

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

Chevs

Feb 1st 2011, 4:56:11

I think that admins should be allowed to run countries, but whatever server they run countries on maybe they should not use admin tools on those servers? I am kind of ignorant on the subject and I'm not trying to troll or anything, just an idea.

Of course I don't know how this would be moderated heh.
SOF Head Of Poop

SaRaveok Game profile

Feb 1st 2011, 9:53:03

Can someone fill me in as to what happened so i can pretend to care?
General of The Fallen
---------------------------
MSN:
IRC: #thefallen on Gamesurge

Application For The Fallen: http://www.boxcarhosting.com/...pplication.php?appID=1142

Deerhunter Game profile

Feb 1st 2011, 15:09:14

what happened is an admin abused his powers and used his admin tools to discredit an alliance. It was a blatant abuse of power and once he was caught, like a dirty politician, he apologized for abusing his powers for self gain. And for those ignorant- the self gain is discrediting an rival alliance.
It was a shameful act and so far has gone unpunished.
I shall fear no retals,

Deerhunter Game profile

Feb 1st 2011, 15:09:57

Maybe we need a moderator for the moderators- I would be willing to take that position should my fellow earthers deem it so.
I shall fear no retals,

Patience Game profile

Feb 1st 2011, 15:39:27

Oh good gawd... like that would ever happen. lol You're a troll. And not even a GOOD troll. Just one of those pathetic trolls that wander about in the shadow of the greater trolls that came before you, trying desperately to be relevant but failing miserably.