Verified:

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 13th 2011, 16:43:02

So, not sure if many of you are much into weight lifting, does anyone have or know of a good dumbbell only program?

I'd like a good 3 day split (M-W-F) routine that only uses dumbbells. I have lots of dumbbells but nothing else really.

I've google searched for a few but really haven't found anything too great.

Since people of earth seem to be jack of all trades lets see if anyone has any info!

MilitantOrgy Game profile

Dec 13th 2011, 16:45:12

you forgot an f in the last sentence

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Dec 13th 2011, 16:49:02

not me. i only use them when i'm on my e1000 elliptical. every other month or so. :-P
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 13th 2011, 17:24:57

you should try to find Helmet from SoF -- I think he's pretty into free weights.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Detmer Game profile

Dec 13th 2011, 18:16:13

Henrik is a good person to talk to as well. I of course can give you plenty of advice ;)

What weights do you have?

maverickmd Game profile

Dec 13th 2011, 18:21:54

every exercise can pretty much be done with barbells or a bar. What are you asking?

Just do p90x

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Dec 13th 2011, 19:17:07

as has been said already. Helmet is a pretty good bet. I'm fairly into free weights as well although I do some body weight stuff as well.

As for a workout routine, it really depends on what you are trying to do.
Technique (and not dropping things on your foot) is extremely important :P

If you only have dumbbells (and no bar) you may need to do some bodyweight stuff in order to effectively exercise everything.

Do a google on pilates as well..

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 13th 2011, 19:47:55

Also, in case you guys haven't heard of it: http://www.fitocracy.com might interest some of you who like to work out and game socially.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Dec 13th 2011, 19:52:50

interesting lol..
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 13th 2011, 20:23:59

Well I just want to tone a bit maybe put on a few pounds of muscle but nothing crazy no body building...

I was hoping that someone had some webstie somewhere that says on monday do this a, b, c. On tuesdsay do this a, b, c etc...

I have dumbbells that range from 3lbs all the way to 50lbs (all in set of two). So I feel like I can do about anything I want with that range.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Dec 13th 2011, 20:41:42

http://www.myfit.ca is a good resource.

http://www.myfit.ca/...|+Home&programid=1069

Note that they suggest getting a ball. You can always substitute the ball exercises with alternates from that site if you prefer.

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Dec 13th 2011, 20:45:54

Also how quickly you see visible results depends on how much body fat you have. I'm somewhat chubby so you can't see my 6 pack for example, even though I've been doing progressively more difficult ab exercises for the better course of 2 years :P

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 13th 2011, 20:49:16

12 ounce curls don't count martian!

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 13th 2011, 20:56:37

I'm a fan of body weight only exercises. Here's a simple workout plan if you're looking to lose a few lbs (the site has lots of other info too)

http://www.military.com/...ht-loss/lose-love-handles

If you want motivation and tips from other people in your situation, I really would recommend fitocracy. They have a leveling system and they just added a bunch of new things (like quests and more non-gym oriented exercises) and there are entire groups devoted to the various ways of getting healthy and fit without getting bulky like convict conditioning and you are your own gym type things (though there are plenty of bulk gaining groups too).

It's also good if you could use a little extra motivation and there are groups you can join to find people who are in similar situations that can help give you advice on balancing your fitness and life (like a Grad Student group or Science! the group which actually gives science references to go with their advice =P).

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Dec 13th 2011, 21:13:18

12 oz curls? pfft lol. It took me like 18 months to get to 35lb curls (X12) though.. but then I"m not really hardcore.

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

hawkeyee Game profile

Dec 14th 2011, 1:29:55

P90X is a great program. You can either do it and omit any of the exercises that require a bar for pull-ups or go and buy one of those doorway pull-up bars for cheap. You can download P90X pretty easily from any of the popular torrent sites. I think it was $90 when I bought it. Very good program if you stick to it, and you're only using weights every other day.
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

dryfus Game profile

Dec 14th 2011, 2:40:01

bonus dumbell curl

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 14th 2011, 3:44:36

Originally posted by martian:
12 oz curls? pfft lol. It took me like 18 months to get to 35lb curls (X12) though.. but then I"m not really hardcore.

35lb? That's like a keg curl right?

Deerhunter Game profile

Dec 14th 2011, 5:42:39

Its probably not a good idea to take advise from people here. However, i think you would be best served from watching the movie Stripes. It is a movie about some guys who wanted to get in better shape and get paid for it. I think it applies here. It is a great movie and it accurately depicts the modern man's workout.
Ya, tho i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no retals,
Cause i have the biggest, baddest, and toughest country in the valley!

Bigwiggle Game profile

Dec 14th 2011, 14:04:24

Get a ball yeah. It's a good alternate to a bench, especially if you are going for less weight and more stabilizer/toning work. And P90x is good for starting out if you want to get an idea of what a workout will involve when working one muscle group.

Once you have the idea of the lifts and forms and what you're trying to hit with them, you can really take it from there with your own routine.
Wiggity

Pandora's Last Vikings | THE OMEGA

msn -

Detmer Game profile

Dec 14th 2011, 14:14:50

Originally posted by Deerhunter:
Its probably not a good idea to take advise from people here. However, i think you would be best served from watching the movie Stripes. It is a movie about some guys who wanted to get in better shape and get paid for it. I think it applies here. It is a great movie and it accurately depicts the modern man's workout.

I agree. Comedies will probably teach you to work out better than actual people who actually work out.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Dec 14th 2011, 14:54:34

lol@deerhunter. Perhaps, instead we should all watch the movie that is the same as your username. I dunno what that has to do with working out but it was a good movie dammit:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )