Verified:

mrford Game profile

Feb 27th 2011, 3:47:40

anyone watching this VT/Duke game?

holy

fluff
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

mrford Game profile

Feb 27th 2011, 3:59:47

DUKE fluffING LOSES TO VA TECH!

holy fluff what a game. UNC is tied for first now!
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Shinigami Game profile

Feb 27th 2011, 14:41:09

Yup... won 20 bucks on that game.

Which almost makes up for Florida falling apart in Lexington last night.

Almost.

Not a good day to be a top team. Texas also fell to Colorado and Arizona got curb-stomped by UCLA.

mrford Game profile

Feb 27th 2011, 16:32:28

It's not a good MONTH to be a top team
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Trife Game profile

Feb 27th 2011, 17:44:56

go hokies!

TheORKINMan Game profile

Feb 28th 2011, 22:13:58

Looking forward to our rematch with UNC Wednesday :) Just beat Miami for the 11th time out of the last 12 which is always fun.
Smarter than your average bear.

BobbyATA Game profile

Feb 28th 2011, 22:20:33

this should be renamed ACC talk=)

TheORKINMan Game profile

Feb 28th 2011, 22:24:13

Not our problem we care more about basketball then any other conference :P

Shinigami Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 3:11:38

There are too many jokes to make there...

mrford Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 15:03:19

No offence orkin, but I could give a fluff less about Wednesday.

No matter what happens Wednesday for Carolina or Duke, the game on Saturday decodes the ACC regular season champion and the #1 seed for the tourny.

I kinda forgot we were playing FSU on Wednesday.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 15:17:26

Yeah we get that a lot. Which is fine by us as it usually precedes the other team getting bit in the ass ;)

If we do beat you Wednesday you BETTER beat Duke on Saturday or we'll be taking your two seed.

trumper Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 18:30:16

Originally posted by mrford:
No offence orkin, but I could give a fluff less about Wednesday.

No matter what happens Wednesday for Carolina or Duke, the game on Saturday decodes the ACC regular season champion and the #1 seed for the tourny.

I kinda forgot we were playing FSU on Wednesday.

TOM beat me to it, but I was going to say 'famous last words.' I've always felt the ACC was defined by the big guys falling hard (ultimately prevailing in NCAAT). I also wouldn't necessarily count Clemson out of making the Duke game into a run-for-the-money.

I'm also laughing at the folks saying Vtech's win locks them. I remember when MD swept Duke a few years back and was denied a tourney appearance.

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 18:33:24

I think Maryland went 7-9 that year or at best 8-8 in the ACC. Vtech is locked up unless they lose last two AND lose in the first round of the ACC tournament. Even then they would have a chance...

trumper Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 18:56:04

Originally posted by BobbyATA:
I think Maryland went 7-9 that year or at best 8-8 in the ACC. Vtech is locked up unless they lose last two AND lose in the first round of the ACC tournament. Even then they would have a chance...

I think they were 7-9, but they had 4 wins against top 25 ranked opponents. The sweep of Duke included when Duke was ranked #2 at Cameron. But, the moral of the story is better to have a good conference record then a couple of big upsets.

I think Vtech should be good if they win out the season. If they're split it 1-1 then their ACCT will come into play. If they go 0-2 then they need to run 2 games or more deep into ACCT.

The problem is there are some compelling resumes in other conferences that could push them out. I mean if it's between a Marquette and a Vtech how do you say no to Marquette?

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 19:05:04

I dunno, I think Marquette is a lock as well. Plus don't forget the 3 extra bubble teams does make a sizable difference from comparisons to years past, and even in the past 10 regular season wins has always been enough in the ACC even before that. V. Tech is in barring 3 straight losses...

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 19:17:20

With the midmajors being so unbelievably weak this year and there being basically no potential bid stealers out there, the Pac 10 still being a 2 bid league plus three extra bids virtually every semi-deserving team will get in. At this point I could see 11 BE teams (although I think they get 10), 5 ACC teams, 5-6 SEC teams, 5-6 Big 12 and Big 10 teams.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 19:21:25

One other note mrford: You may not have a lot to play for Wednesday night but we do. A win vs UNC would make us 8-0 at home in ACC play for the first time ever (Even the Ward/Cassell/Sura teams only went 7-1), would tie the best ACC W-L record in FSU history and would be the first time FSU beat all four Carolina schools in the same season, locks us into at worst the 3 seed and gives us a legit shot at the 2 seed.

trumper Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 19:51:12

Originally posted by TheORKINMan:
With the midmajors being so unbelievably weak this year and there being basically no potential bid stealers out there, the Pac 10 still being a 2 bid league plus three extra bids virtually every semi-deserving team will get in. At this point I could see 11 BE teams (although I think they get 10), 5 ACC teams, 5-6 SEC teams, 5-6 Big 12 and Big 10 teams.

So who is the odd man out in the Big East? It's got to be either Cincinatti or Marquette by your guessing of 10 teams. Pitt, Nova, Gtown, Syr, Uconn, Louisville, WV, SJU, and ND already all locked.

mrford Game profile

Mar 1st 2011, 19:51:26

One other note mrford: You may not have a lot to play for Wednesday night but we do. A win vs UNC would make us 8-0 at home in ACC play for the first time ever (Even the Ward/Cassell/Sura teams only went 7-1), would tie the best ACC W-L record in FSU history and would be the first time FSU beat all four Carolina schools in the same season, locks us into at worst the 3 seed and gives us a legit shot at the 2 seed.

thats quite a few mid level benchmarks you just listed there lol.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 3:53:59

the bubble just keeps getting weaker. Alabama, Baylor and Penn State all lose tonight and are now out barring serious runs in conference tournaments. B/c this is ACC talk as we decided, the ACC is looking very good to be on the high end of that spectrum of 2-6 bids I projected earlier, with 4 teams basically guaranteed (FSU/Va tech/Duke/UNC), and 2 more with a shot still (BC, Clemson) and one more with an outside chance (maryland)

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 4:08:59

Va Tech just lost by 15 to BC @Va Tech. Now IMO Va Tech will have to win @Clemson or do ACCT damage to get in.

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 4:18:27

nah Va. Tech is fine. 45+ teams gonna get in before teh automatic qualifiers at the bottom. No way you can find 45 better teams...

Feynman Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 5:04:05

NCSU still sucks. :(

Shinigami Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 15:18:22

VT is probably fine. No way the ACC doesn't get 5 teams so it would take a collapse for them to not make it.

SEC could be looking like Florida/Kentucky/Vandy/Georgia/Tennessee with none of the SEC West teams making the dance. Alabama's weak resume wasn't helping their case any. Getting gobsmacked by 27 points by Florida might have closed it, unless they can make a deep SECT run.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 15:22:03

Shinigami: If VT loses @Clemson and first round ACCT game they wont make it. Thatd give them an RPI in the 70s

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 15:28:16

RPI formula sucks and I think committee is slowly realizing that. I love how Maryland is 16 in Kenpom and in the 80s in RPI...

trumper Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 16:55:50

I'm with TOM on this one. VTech can't afford losing at Clemson and not winning their first round of ACCT.

In my Terps case they need to win out this season and win two deep in ACCT to be seriously considered. I'm not sure they can do that so we may get Jordan Williams MVP of NIT and sadly he'll definitely be gone for next season.

And poor BYU. I do feel bad for them

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 16:57:29

I would not count MD out of the ACCT. Gary Williams has won two of those I believe. Including once as the 6 seed defeating 3, 2, and 1 in that order.

Shinigami Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 17:33:01

I'd qualify losing to Clemson and their opponent in the first round of the ACCT a collapse.

It would take a good ACCT run but BC probably can't be counted out yet either.

All of which goes to show that the ACC has never been more entertaining to watch then they have been this year.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 17:36:56

BC is a lock at 9-7 if they beat WF IMO. They'll get a very low seed but their RPI currently is 37.

trumper Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 18:25:46

BC is a lock at 9-7 if they beat WF IMO. They'll get a very low seed but their RPI currently is 37.

Being swept by Miami doesnt help their cause, but credit to them they swept VT and barely knocked us off..although they lost to Clemson.

The ACC is such a mess once you get by the first three.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 18:28:03

RPI in the 30s for an ACC team is a lock though. Plus they beat Texas A&M and @Va Tech who people are now saying is a lock.

trumper Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 18:59:06

RPI in the 30s for an ACC team is a lock though. Plus they beat Texas A&M and @Va Tech who people are now saying is a lock.

SDSU is 4th in RPI.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 19:00:48

So...? :P Not seeing the connection. SDSU is also a lock.

Shinigami Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 19:38:43

I'm not seeing what that has to do with BC either, though it does sort of show how judging based on RPI can be a bit flawed.

trumper Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 22:01:07

Originally posted by Shinigami:
I'm not seeing what that has to do with BC either, though it does sort of show how judging based on RPI can be a bit flawed.

The latter part of what you said was my point. Not in reference to BC so much.

mrford Game profile

Mar 3rd 2011, 2:04:26

HARRISON

BARNES

you done crying yet orkin? damn that was a crazy game. some weird ass calls both ways by the refs.

i cant believe that roy called up a play for the freshmen and he nutted a 3 to win the game. fluffing epic
Swagger of a Chupacabra

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 3rd 2011, 2:25:15

damn that was a solid shot...

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 3rd 2011, 2:53:08

We got absolutely robbed. Harrison Barnes never should have had that shot attempt. Kendal Marshall had a major travel that even UNC Vitale called out then lost the ball out of bounds. Then Jaime Luckie came running across the floor and said Roy called a timeout before all of that which is BS (the officials whistles are tied to the clock so if he granted it the clock would have stopped) Then on top of that Kitchen got fouled on that last three and the official that called the foul was overruled by an official saying Kitchen stepped out on the shot.

That's life in the ACC though. If you are playing Carolina and the refs have an oppurtunity to screw you they absolutely will.

mrford Game profile

Mar 3rd 2011, 3:58:33

fluffy V is a Duke boy, you are tarded

a timeout would overrule a travel, stepping out of bounds would overrule a foul (he stepped out like a seccond and a half before the "foul"

you lost. you lost hard. it was an amazing game. stop fluffing.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

trumper Game profile

Mar 3rd 2011, 14:32:04

Well my Terps are out of the equation barring winning the ACCT which I have a very hard time seeing them doing given how many opponents they would go through. So NIT MVP, Jordan Williams, ha.

And since when has Duke Vitale been a Tar Heels fan? He bleeds Duke blue. After that he's a UCONN homer.

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 3rd 2011, 17:08:29

The terps make me sad trumper:(

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 3rd 2011, 18:10:30

Meh after sleeping on it I actually feel pretty good about last night. We still got 100% robbed. But that was the best game of basketball we have played in the past 2 years. Offensively we went blow for blow for 40 minutes with one of the best offensive teams in the NCAA and we did all of that WITHOUT Chris Singleton. IMO gives us a little fire to go on with in the ACCT/NCAAT.

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 3rd 2011, 18:31:50

do u still claim singleton is coming back for NCAAT?

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 3rd 2011, 18:36:51

He probably is going to sit out ACCT just to be on the safe side. As I said his boot is off and he's walking around normally now. I'd say there's a very good chance he plays in the NCAAT. If we make it to the Sweet 16 I'd say for sure by then.

75% first weekend, 100% second weekend.

Shinigami Game profile

Mar 3rd 2011, 18:40:02

I had to work late and missed it but yeah, hanging in and almost pulling the upset without Singleton is impressive.

trumper Game profile

Mar 3rd 2011, 19:31:33

He probably is going to sit out ACCT just to be on the safe side. As I said his boot is off and he's walking around normally now. I'd say there's a very good chance he plays in the NCAAT. If we make it to the Sweet 16 I'd say for sure by then.

75% first weekend, 100% second weekend.

Walking without the boot and playing 20-30 minutes running up and down a court in the NCAAT are two different things. I hope he plays. The ACC needs to do well.

And Bobby--yah it was sad. It's really hard to see with one great big guy and then no outside presence and only recently someone stepping up at guard (Stoglin).

mrford Game profile

Mar 4th 2011, 21:19:14

Duke Carolina tomorrow

just looked tickets up, nosebleeds are $250, lower level is $900 to $2100
Swagger of a Chupacabra

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 4th 2011, 22:10:55

good god and the players get paid jack fluff...slavery lives on... (not to derail the conversation lol)

TheORKINMan Game profile

Mar 4th 2011, 23:03:03

The players get paid. It's just up front during the recruiting process to go to Kentucky/UNC/Tennessee etc....