Verified:

Mapleson Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 21:00:15

Medical technology is the least used tech because it offers little incentive in the way of effect compared to the cost. By reducing ghost acres taken/buildings destoryed, there would be a greater demand for it and vary gameplay some.

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Nov 23rd 2011, 21:06:18

How does reducing the ghost acres taken from me help me at all?

Is the theory that it will create disincentive to hit me because the attacker could gain more ghost acres from hitting a comparable country with less med tech?

I agree that would decrease the incentive for a rational person to hit you. But the problem here is assuming that attacking in this game is based on rational behaviour :-\

Marshal Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 21:37:50

i think med and spy tech are least used techs but that's not the point.

so in mapleson's suggestion country which has alot med tech makes a big grab against country w/o med tech and to reduce ghosties even more attacker doesn't build up so when attacker gets retalled retaller doesn't gain much ghosties.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Forum Moderator

Nov 23rd 2011, 22:10:35

Hmm, so the point isn't to help yourself, but to inflict harm onto others?

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 23rd 2011, 22:18:52

ya, i'm not a fan of that either... it reduces land in the game and as h4 states, gives your country more options to be a fluff.

i don't think that's positive for the game :p

buildings destroyed is interesting... but I would think if we're going to change it we should make it change the civilian loss rate.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Chewi Game profile

Nov 23rd 2011, 22:37:33

Making it work on reducing attacking losses would help too.

Rockman Game profile

Nov 24th 2011, 1:40:22

If you want to improve medical tech, this is NOT the way to do it.

crest23 Game profile

Nov 24th 2011, 3:56:19

Originally posted by H4xOr WaNgEr:
Hmm, so the point isn't to help yourself, but to inflict harm onto others?

From what Marshal says, it helps you. It reduces your chances of getting retalled, see also Weapons tech.
The Nigerian Nightmare.

bertz Game profile

Nov 24th 2011, 8:49:48

I agree with Pang's suggestion.

Rockman Game profile

Nov 24th 2011, 9:50:09

Originally posted by Pang:
ya, i'm not a fan of that either... it reduces land in the game and as h4 states, gives your country more options to be a fluff.

buildings destroyed is interesting... but I would think if we're going to change it we should make it change the civilian loss rate.

http://forums.earthempires.com/...z=medical-tech-suggestion

http://forums.earthempires.com/...spy-tech-and-medical-tech

I've suggested that idea before Pang. Get around to implementing it!!!

Mapleson Game profile

Nov 24th 2011, 14:23:46

It would help you through not having as many buildings destoryed, which reduces the ghost acres produced.

Is the theory that it will create disincentive to hit me because the attacker could gain more ghost acres from hitting a comparable country with less med tech?
It provides an incentive to the defender to have med tech and would discourage well planned hits.

I agree that would decrease the incentive for a rational person to hit you. But the problem here is assuming that attacking in this game is based on rational behaviour :-\
It would reduce the impact of a non-rational attack.

The reduction in land is minimal. This reset there has been 10,626 ghost acres created. At 80% med tech for every hit, that's 2125 not produced out of the 8,175,435 acres currently in the game.

Civs killed would be another option to improve med techs use. The specialty attacks could all have a bonus effect, like ABing destroys less buildings as well.

Edited By: Mapleson on Nov 24th 2011, 14:26:32
See Original Post

Rockman Game profile

Nov 24th 2011, 15:44:53

Originally posted by Mapleson:
It would help you through not having as many buildings destoryed, which reduces the ghost acres produced.

It provides an incentive to the defender to have med tech and would discourage well planned hits.

It would reduce the impact of a non-rational attack.

The reduction in land is minimal. This reset there has been 10,626 ghost acres created. At 80% med tech for every hit, that's 2125 not produced out of the 8,175,435 acres currently in the game.

Civs killed would be another option to improve med techs use. The specialty attacks could all have a bonus effect, like ABing destroys less buildings as well.

Mapleson - how likely is someone to spy their target, and decide not to hit it upon seeing that the ghost acre portion of their attack will get a 30% penalty (if that person was an achiever and got 70% medical tech)? This would be equivalent to having 30% of your land barren when someone spies you. How often would a country being only 70% built rather than fully built deter you from grabbing them, when their economy, defenses, and ability to retal do not deter you?

Quite simply, reducing ghost acres is an extremely small deterrent.

Marshal Game profile

Nov 24th 2011, 20:46:38

Originally posted by crest23:

From what Marshal says, it helps you. It reduces your chances of getting retalled, see also Weapons tech.

I said that when attacker with med tech gets retalled retaller doesn't get much ghosties not med tech preventing retalling.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Forum Moderator

Nov 24th 2011, 22:01:15

Mapelson: You are incorrect in your identification of benefits.

When you get hit, you lose buildings because you lose land. The amount of ghost acres yeilded off your country has absolutely no impact on number of buildings you lose.

You lose buildings equal to the amount of land you lost, not the amount of land you lost + some formula based on ghost acres taken.

Forum Moderator

Nov 24th 2011, 22:05:46

For example, scenario 1:

I hit you and get 1000 acres + 400 ghost.

That means I gain 1400 acres, 400 of which are already built.
You lose 1000 acres (and 1000 buildings, assuming you were fully built).

Scenario 2:

I grab you for 1000 acres + 0 ghost

That means I get 1000 acres, 0 of which are already built.

There is no difference to the defender...

Mapleson Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 14:11:29

For example, scenario 1:

I hit you and get 1000 acres + 400 ghost.

That means I gain 1400 acres, 400 of which are already built.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought buildings lost were greater. Buildings lost is equal to the total land lost and acres lost to the buildings captured.

ie 1000 acres lost + 1400 buildings lost (400 unbuilt acres as a result of being LGed).

Scenario 2:

I grab you for 1000 acres + 0 ghost

That means I get 1000 acres, 0 of which are already built.
I'd agree with this scenario.

Mapleson Game profile

Nov 25th 2011, 14:20:58

Ok, I tested it myself and I was wrong in my assumption howt ghost acres worked. Without that, this suggestion doesn't have much of a leg to stand on.